Random Guitar image

I’ve been browsing these pics and this one stood out because it’s home. I grew up right near Red Rocks Amphitheater. In high school we’d go up there at night and hang out and make trouble.

Sometimes people would come up with their gear and jam. It was just public space. It’s not like that anymore.

I’ve gotten to play there and hope to again someday before too long.

Best live venue. When the sun is setting just right (or in some instances, rising) it’s so beautiful.

The natural acoustics are insane. I also worked concessions for a summer. We’d carry huge bags of ice up those steep steps to the vendor at the top. 40lb bags, one over each shoulder.

Those steps are brutal. During shows many, many a person was seriously injured in a fall. Intoxicated people would also start climbing the rocks and there were a lot of deaths.

Again, it’s not like that anymore. It’s got 24/7 security; a restaurant and gift shop and so on. When I was a kid I climbed all over the rocks in the background.

*From the perspective we are seeing you can appreciate how steep the steps are to either side of the bleachers.

Out of town people would get drunk way faster than they realized (altitude) get half way up and get sick. That’s when serious falls would happen.

If you start tumbling on those hard you’re not going to stop until someone saves your ass or land splat in the next landing.

I bet they’ve made it safer though.

Easter sunrise services and movie festivals are other events that happen there.

Last edited:

Wade Garrett

I am the projectionist.
I’ve been browsing these pics and this one stood out because it’s home. I grew up right near Red Rocks Amphitheater. In high school we’d go up there at night and hang out and make trouble.

Sometimes people would come up with their gear and jam. It was just public space. It’s not like that anymore.

I’ve gotten to play there and hope to again someday before too long.

Best live venue. When the sun is setting just right (or in some instances, rising) it’s so beautiful.

The natural acoustics are insane. I also worked concessions for a summer. We’d carry huge bags of ice up those steep steps to the vendor at the top. 40lb bags, one over each shoulder.

Those steps are brutal. During shows many, many a person was seriously injured in a fall. Intoxicated people would also start climbing the rocks and there were a lot of deaths.

Again, it’s not like that anymore. It’s got 24/7 security; a restaurant and gift shop and so on. When I was a kid I climbed all over the rocks in the background.

*From the perspective we are seeing you can appreciate how steep the steps are to either side of the bleachers.

Out of town people would get drunk way faster than they realized (altitude) get half way up and get sick. That’s when serious falls would happen.

If you start tumbling on those hard you’re not going to stop until someone saves your ass or land splat in the next landing.

I bet they’ve made it safer though.

Easter sunrise services and movie festivals are other events that happen there.
It looks like an amazing place to play, I used to love playing outdoor gigs.

It looks like an amazing place to play, I used to love playing outdoor gigs.
It’s remarkable. It’s been used by the white people since the late 1800’s. I don’t know if the Indians held it in regard but I suspect they did. It’s hard to say: they lost everything. They can’t even say for sure I bet.

I suspect it was. I say that because what that picture doesn’t show is it’s an entirely natural amphitheater. We are looking up from the stage where behind is a towering, curving rock face. Opposite the side we are seeing, is a slightly larger but equitable rock slab.

So this is Colorado (color red) and that’s about 10 minutes from where I grew up and I now live here again. I’m again, about ten minutes away.

Since the late 1800’s it’s been used for all kinds of events and a lot of music.

If you’re sitting on stage with just an acoustic and a big voice, it’s like your amped up.

In high school some old guy would go out there at night with his guitar, stand on the stage and play to nobody, except when we were there. We’d sit up top and could easily hear and we would cheer and flick our lighters and stuff.

That’s a really special place to me.