Rack is back. Part II

DrHankWanfordSnr

That's not new, its always been there.
I have so many questions, but I will summarise them all into one short one: Why? :eek:
Because....

Space - its a small office and its a big pedal board. Being able to put the pedals neatly away rather than throwing a towel over them is something MrsDrDrSmirnoff is in favour of. Retaining her goodwill ensures happy, carefree, blissful NGDs.

Cabling - the cable loom has gotten out of hand, this would reduce it to the point that i could take the rack to the living room (see above re rocking chair).

Fun. I like changing the setup - its a fun diversion, planning, diagrams, researching drawer runners, budgeting, etc. Fun, fun, fun ! And you never know - it might turn out to be more ergonomic/user-friendly (it'll have 2 pedal loops separating the drive and time pedals !!!!

I've rejigged the plan due to Covid/IKEA shenanigans - we're just adding one new drawer and retaining the existing sides - reducing the outlay to one set of drawer runners (£3). If its a disaster - I can put it back the way it is.

Tankman

Subtly not giving a F*ck
Because....

Space - its a small office and its a big pedal board. Being able to put the pedals neatly away rather than throwing a towel over them is something MrsDrDrSmirnoff is in favour of. Retaining her goodwill ensures happy, carefree, blissful NGDs.

Cabling - the cable loom has gotten out of hand, this would reduce it to the point that i could take the rack to the living room (see above re rocking chair).

Fun. I like changing the setup - its a fun diversion, planning, diagrams, researching drawer runners, budgeting, etc. Fun, fun, fun ! And you never know - it might turn out to be more ergonomic/user-friendly (it'll have 2 pedal loops separating the drive and time pedals !!!!

I've rejigged the plan due to Covid/IKEA shenanigans - we're just adding one new drawer and retaining the existing sides - reducing the outlay to one set of drawer runners (£3). If its a disaster - I can put it back the way it is.
Ah cool, but I meant the whole rig. The Helix, Kemper and Marshall. How do you use it. I have a Hot Rod and a simple Pedalboard and it already drives me insane.

DrHankWanfordSnr

Ah cool, but I meant the whole rig. The Helix, Kemper and Marshall. How do you use it. I have a Hot Rod and a simple Pedalboard and it already drives me insane.
That is a good question.
Deserves a good answer.

Its a hobby - toy. Granted its an expensive one to try and buy all at once, but if you spread out the buying/selling to get to this point.... starting on your 40th birthday, and ending on your 51st its pretty reasonable if you buy used and make a bit of profit on each buy/sell cycle. We're all past the arguments about 'who' is allowed to own 'what' gear based on 'how' they use it, or how much it costs - we rejoice in each others gear...... WHO'S WITH ME ??? LETS GOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!! [runs off to stand 2m outside Richtone Music].

To be honest - none of it is particularly difficult to use. Though the Kemper is a bit daunting with twiddly knobs and menus.

How do I use it ? There is no one way to use gear.
Some days I play a real-world amp (valve or trannie) with effects from the pedal board or the Helix - or through the virtual cabs in the Helix or Kemper. I can play through the Marshall JMP-1/9100 in combination with the Helix (or pedals)for FX. Some days I just a digital rig in the Helix. Some days the Kemper. Some days I play the Helix with the Kemper (in a loop) as an amp block*. I can combine the amps of the Helix with the effects of the Kemper (delays and reverbs are v. good in the Kemper). My pedalboard in in a Helix fx loop, but can be put into an FX block of the kemper. Some days I play the Gr-55 synth through the Helix. I can play out through my hifi as an FRFR. Or the poweramp and cabs. Some days I use amps/fx sims on PC. Some day an acoustic with the Helix giving a bit of reverb to make my office seem larger.

The number of combinations means I can never ever get bored. And its cabled so that I don't have to move any cables - just the Helix preset which also controls the other gear via midi.

In other news - my new drawer runners are in the post - so the photo essay of me dismantling and reassembling the rig will be started at the weekend !

* this is quite literally 'the bomb'.

Last edited:

SImonK

wondering around
Ha, don't visit for a few years, come back and yours is still evolving! I of course am a big appreciator of such things, and as I can't quite remember where it was at last time I posted a picture, here's my rack flashing a couple (hundred) appreciative lights at yours. Mind you I have stuck to pretty much analogue (except the midiverb) whereas the processing power on yours is awesome!

piccy.jpg

Tankman

Subtly not giving a F*ck
That is a good question.
Deserves a good answer.

Its a hobby - toy. Granted its an expensive one to try and buy all at once, but if you spread out the buying/selling to get to this point.... starting on your 40th birthday, and ending on your 51st its pretty reasonable if you buy used and make a bit of profit on each buy/sell cycle. We're all past the arguments about 'who' is allowed to own 'what' gear based on 'how' they use it, or how much it costs - we rejoice in each others gear...... WHO'S WITH ME ??? LETS GOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!! [runs off to stand 2m outside Richtone Music].

To be honest - none of it is particularly difficult to use. Though the Kemper is a bit daunting with twiddly knobs and menus.

How do I use it ? There is no one way to use gear.
Some days I play a real-world amp (valve or trannie) with effects from the pedal board or the Helix - or through the virtual cabs in the Helix or Kemper. I can play through the Marshall JMP-1/9100 in combination with the Helix (or pedals)for FX. Some days I just a digital rig in the Helix. Some days the Kemper. Some days I play the Helix with the Kemper (in a loop) as an amp block*. I can combine the amps of the Helix with the effects of the Kemper (delays and reverbs are v. good in the Kemper). My pedalboard in in a Helix fx loop, but can be put into an FX block of the kemper. Some days I play the Gr-55 synth through the Helix. I can play out through my hifi as an FRFR. Or the poweramp and cabs. Some days I use amps/fx sims on PC. Some day an acoustic with the Helix giving a bit of reverb to make my office seem larger.

The number of combinations means I can never ever get bored. And its cabled so that I don't have to move any cables - just the Helix preset which also controls the other gear via midi.

In other news - my new drawer runners are in the post - so the photo essay of me dismantling and reassembling the rig will be started at the weekend !

* this is quite literally 'the bomb'.
That makes sense I guess. I'm the opposite. I get bored with products that have too many options. I've figured out that I enjoy playing the most when the rig is very straight forward. This is also probably the reason why I asked you why you would want such a rig. I think it's cool, though.

DrHankWanfordSnr

That makes sense I guess. I'm the opposite. I get bored with products that have too many options. I've figured out that I enjoy playing the most when the rig is very straight forward. This is also probably the reason why I asked you why you would want such a rig. I think it's cool, though.
That's the beauty of gear - we can all have the rig we need ! :)

SImonK

wondering around
I enjoy seeing Dr Hank's set-up as he seems to be one of the only other people who have cottoned onto the philosophy of buying a massive rig for home use because, if home use, you don't have to worry about portability! I never quite get the "buy a small practice amp" philosophy - I use my Marshall 4x12 half-stack for home practice because even when turned down more is still more!

Mind you, I have to admit, possibly unlike Dr Hank's approach to having a set-up with significantly more processing power than the apollo space mission, I spent about a year getting three or four great sounds out of my rack rig, and since having it set up as I like it I have been buying different guitars to feel/hear the twist that each one has on the same basic tone.

Of course the downside to having a massive home set-up is that the gigging rig doesn't sound anywhere near as good. I've been cycling through some highly rated overdrive pedals recently - JRAD Archer, Eternity E9 & Keeley Tone Workstation going into my blues junior and more recently a vox MV50 - and while they sound good, they don't come close to the completely impractical bi-amped Marshall/Boogie!

DrHankWanfordSnr

I have a similar problem to Tankman. I get bored quickly with sounds and things. So I have to be able to mix it up.

Otherwise I'd sell gear and ..... the sellers remorse would be ever present (hence the gradual/partial re-buy of my original pedalboard stuff which I sold to buy the Helix). Having said that - if i really needed money - it would all go on sale.... imagine the photos of it in Richtone music !.

And S-k's philosophy of having an epic/monster rig at home is part of my credo. Along with 'no unplugging of cables' and 'comfortable chair'. I also like it to sound good at low volume - which this rig does in spades.

(N.B. there are still items of desire on 'the list' Mesa Triaxis, and an ADA MP-1, even though I've got virtual copies of them in the Kemper and amp plugins)

Tankman

Subtly not giving a F*ck
I never quite get the "buy a small practice amp" philosophy
I used to use my gigging rig at home as well which was always some sort of tube head and some sort of 2x12 cab. I got tired of lugging it around, so the gigging righ is now a 1x12 combo and a small pedalboard. The amp stays at the practice room.

I have a 1-year old son and playing at home has been an issue. The only times I get to play is when he sleeps, but I can't be loud then. So that's where to "buy a small practice amp" philosphy makes sense. I have a Boss Katana Mini which I can use at low volumes, connect my tablet to for backing tracks and it sounds pretty decent with headphones as well.

This is nice - no argument, no "I'm right, you're wrong" just mutual understanding of 'preference' and 'different' with good explanations.

I think I'm getting emotional:rolleyes:
I think people should do whatever makes them happy. A rig like @DrHankWanfordSnr has looks cool to me and I would probably enjoy it, but when applied to my needs, preferences etc, it doesn't make sense. I was just wondering how he uses it. So to make it make sense to me, I wanted to know why he has a rig like his. It kind of makes sense now.

DrHankWanfordSnr

I used to use my gigging rig at home as well which was always some sort of tube head and some sort of 2x12 cab. I got tired of lugging it around, so the gigging righ is now a 1x12 combo and a small pedalboard. The amp stays at the practice room.

I have a 1-year old son and playing at home has been an issue. The only times I get to play is when he sleeps, but I can't be loud then. So that's where to "buy a small practice amp" philosphy makes sense. I have a Boss Katana Mini which I can use at low volumes, connect my tablet to for backing tracks and it sounds pretty decent with headphones as well.

I think people should do whatever makes them happy. A rig like @DrHankWanfordSnr has looks cool to me and I would probably enjoy it, but when applied to my needs, preferences etc, it doesn't make sense. I was just wondering how he uses it. So to make it make sense to me, I wanted to know why he has a rig like his. It kind of makes sense now.
Now could you explain it to my wife...... :D

DrHankWanfordSnr

Update.

The drawer runners are here. We begin at the weekend.

edit - i need 2m or 10cm wide hook tape...... or I need to remove the velcro from my pedal board.......... This will need some investigation

Last edited:

SImonK

wondering around
I have a 1-year old son and playing at home has been an issue. The only times I get to play is when he sleeps, but I can't be loud then.
Amateur ;) - my youngest two (5 & 8) have stereos in their bedrooms playing a 2 minute recording of waves on loop from bedtime until I go to bed. The pink/brown noise is enough for them never to have complained about my guitar playing (although we do have to take the stereos with us whenever we travel anywhere). My wife gets a bit grumpy but I bought her some really good ear plugs. The neighbours on both sides are deaf. My 11 year old thinks its cool although himself likes to go to sleep to a medley of songs on his stereo including Twisted Sister (my training is working :bounce::dance:)

There's never an excuse not to have a rack and 4x12 in your life - I'm looking forward to seeing DrH's updates!