Project Fitness, Group effort? Whose up for it?

mirage2101

Oooh, those watches look cool. I love watching airplanes so the distraction would not be negative for me. :p. If there's too much traffic on the A9 I usually look for a good parking spot next to a runway and watch airplanes.
I love the new corner from the A9 onto the A4 when you're driving towards haarlem and then go in the direction of den haag. Because of the elevation you can see a huge part of the platform. Especially at night it's impressive.

If you're going running:
https://www.bol.com/nl/p/polar-m430...bltgh=t2VqCnO0qFlIW7TTW-lIgg.1.4.ProductTitle
It has a LOT of functionality for it's price. It isn't the prettiest in the land though.

Tankman

Subtly not giving a F*ck
I love the new corner from the A9 onto the A4 when you're driving towards haarlem and then go in the direction of den haag. Because of the elevation you can see a huge part of the platform. Especially at night it's impressive.

If you're going running:
https://www.bol.com/nl/p/polar-m430...bltgh=t2VqCnO0qFlIW7TTW-lIgg.1.4.ProductTitle
It has a LOT of functionality for it's price. It isn't the prettiest in the land though.
That corner is indeed quite nice. I've seen many people being distracted by the view and almost causing accidents, though.

I will keep that watch in mind. It's quite pricey for something that doesn't really look appealing to me. I might just compare some watches on the market in the end.

mirage2101

That corner is indeed quite nice. I've seen many people being distracted by the view and almost causing accidents, though.

I will keep that watch in mind. It's quite pricey for something that doesn't really look appealing to me. I might just compare some watches on the market in the end.
It's not the best designed piece of road in history when it comes to changing lanes. Not as bad as the offramp at hoofddorp though.
I only wear it while running. And 165 for a watch with it's own gps isn't that much. But it really depends on what you need of the watch. Check out dcrainmaker.com the guy is a maniac when it comes to sports watches.

So I decided to stand on my scale today.. 103.8KG..
Not as bad as I feared but a lot to lose.

Tankman

Subtly not giving a F*ck
It's not the best designed piece of road in history when it comes to changing lanes. Not as bad as the offramp at hoofddorp though.
I only wear it while running. And 165 for a watch with it's own gps isn't that much. But it really depends on what you need of the watch. Check out dcrainmaker.com the guy is a maniac when it comes to sports watches.

So I decided to stand on my scale today.. 103.8KG..
Not as bad as I feared but a lot to lose.
We are going way off topic, but which off ramp is that?

I'm going to check out the watches. I am currently using the Nike Run Club app on my Smartphone. It works and I can listen to my own music while using it.

I also stood on my scale. I seem to have lost 1kg, but I have eaten that 1kg back last weekend...

mirage2101

We are going way off topic, but which off ramp is that?

I'm going to check out the watches. I am currently using the Nike Run Club app on my Smartphone. It works and I can listen to my own music while using it.

I also stood on my scale. I seem to have lost 1kg, but I have eaten that 1kg back last weekend...
OT
nr 3 on the A4 direction the hague. You exit the main highway and then directly have the option of going onto the A5, and then an exit for hoofddorp north and station. People get confused about where they are, partially because of old nav systems, and regularly go through the grass to change lanes at the last minute. Accidents often happen.
/OT

I use an ipod mini (or somesuch, something small) and bluetooth headphones. All the intelligence I need is on my watch so I don't have to bring my phone. I like to disconnect during my runs and the phone is too large and heavy. I don't like the different solutions people thought of to bring it. But yeah it's a lot of money if you're happy with your current solution. My goal for next year is to go trail running and this watch has a find home function. That really helps after a while :) The fancier watches even have maps.

Do you guys use apps to track food? Or use any diets?
I think my biggest problem is with evening and weekend snacks and drinks. But I'm having a hard time finding alternatives. So in the end I still empty that bag of crisps.
On the winning side: I haven't had milk in months and in the last month I've had diet coke only twice instead of daily. (Now to find some form of tasty soda what isn't bad. I'm getting sick of just drinking tea)

Wade Garrett

I am the projectionist.
OT
nr 3 on the A4 direction the hague. You exit the main highway and then directly have the option of going onto the A5, and then an exit for hoofddorp north and station. People get confused about where they are, partially because of old nav systems, and regularly go through the grass to change lanes at the last minute. Accidents often happen.
/OT

I use an ipod mini (or somesuch, something small) and bluetooth headphones. All the intelligence I need is on my watch so I don't have to bring my phone. I like to disconnect during my runs and the phone is too large and heavy. I don't like the different solutions people thought of to bring it. But yeah it's a lot of money if you're happy with your current solution. My goal for next year is to go trail running and this watch has a find home function. That really helps after a while :) The fancier watches even have maps.

Do you guys use apps to track food? Or use any diets?
I think my biggest problem is with evening and weekend snacks and drinks. But I'm having a hard time finding alternatives. So in the end I still empty that bag of crisps.
On the winning side: I haven't had milk in months and in the last month I've had diet coke only twice instead of daily. (Now to find some form of tasty soda what isn't bad. I'm getting sick of just drinking tea)
I can understand the snacks thing, it can be difficult. I eat Clementines and Cashews as snacks for the most part, you need to go easy on the nuts though, they might be healthy but they do have a fair few calories. As for my diet I just tried to eat a balanced one and stay away from processed food as much as possible. I do stay away from bread though, I get fat just looking at it. I pretty much know how much I can eat and how much weight I'll drop by doing it by now, I've done the whole losing weight thing a few too many times.

mirage2101

I can understand the snacks thing, it can be difficult. I eat Clementines and Cashews as snacks for the most part, you need to go easy on the nuts though, they might be healthy but they do have a fair few calories. As for my diet I just tried to eat a balanced one and stay away from processed food as much as possible. I do stay away from bread though, I get fat just looking at it. I pretty much know how much I can eat and how much weight I'll drop by doing it by now, I've done the whole losing weight thing a few too many times.
So what do you do for breakfast and lunch? I’ve always had bread for those.

Wade Garrett

I am the projectionist.
My typical day is something like this:

Breakfast: Banana, Chicory coffee.

Lunch: I don't always have lunch but when I do I have Ryvita with Almond butter or Philadelphia cheese spread.

Tea: Chicken, Rice, Mushrooms, Green Beans, Carrots, Onions and spices. (I usually make a large amount and freeze individual portions so I can take them to work since I'm at work during lunch and tea times). At the moment I'm having a Cheese salad for tea three days a week with loads of Lettuce, Cucumber, Tomatoes, Beetroot, Apple, a little coleslaw and some Red Leicester cheese.

I drink sparkling water and Chicory coffee during the day as well.

Clementines and Cashews for snacks.

It works well for weight loss. I find that having some Wheatgrass powder in water can give you energy during the day if you don't want to eat but need something to keep going.

Tankman

Subtly not giving a F*ck
OT
/OT
Ah that one. Yes. That one sucks!

I don't track what I eat. I just try to be sensible.

Breakfast is usually some sort of cereal. I try to pick ones with as little sugar as possible without being disgusting. I tried 'Bolletje ontbijtgranen'. That one is absolutely disgusting, but no sugar. I've heard the version with nuts is better, but I'm allergic to some type of nuts, so I can't try it. Albert Heijn has some options with less sugar that are quite nice.

For lunch I try to avoid bread. Usually it's some sort of yoghurt with fresh fruits. Sometimes I add oats to it. If I do bread, I try to take the healthy kinds. I also try to avoid meats for breakfast and lunch. I went full vegetarian for 6 months, but I couldn't keep that up. Now I try it this way. I do think the fats in most processed lunch meats are a big cause of weight gain.

For Dinner I mostly do portion management. My wife and I always cook with fresh ingredients and it's all pretty healthy, low fat, low salt etc. Just, don't eat too much. Especially when it comes to potatoes, I try to halve the portions.

I don't usually snack at night. When I'm visiting friends or family I also usually don't snack, even when the table is loaded. I usually have some sort of cracker, or some nuts that I am not allergic to in between meals.

Wade Garrett

I am the projectionist.
I weighed my self for the first time since we came back from holiday and I'm not surprised at the result. Too much stress drove me to eat way too much (I would have eaten too much anyway but the things that went down just made it worse) and going straight back to work meant a couple of extra days not eating as well as I should due to lack of preparation.

Long story short is I'm back up to 19 stone. I'm back on on it today. I really hate writing this post.

Tankman

Subtly not giving a F*ck
I wanted to start running again last sunday, because I thought my left knee was feeling better. Turns out, it wasn't. To make it worse, I stubbed my left foot and bruised 2 or 3 toes. Walking works. Anything more hurts.

Sustainerplayer

On the edge of breakup
I started a couple of months ago on my "30 minutes+ of activities 4 to 5 days a week". I take turns between home trainer-bike, running and lifting weights. Today I passed the 5 kilometer mark for the first time running. I don't think I'll run much longer distances than that.

I'm trying to make this a integral part of my life going forward. So I'm not obsessing about time vs kalories burnt vs "what does the scale say today".
I have done that before - and although I can set my mind up to work out like a maniac for extended times - sooner or later I hit a wall of some sort - and loose the incitement.

This time is all about just keeping it at a level where I can keep it up ... ehhrm ... forever. :p No measures no - other goals than "work up a sweat for at least 30 minutes" 4 to 5 times a week. In fact we trashed the scale some time ago.

I'll let you know how that works out. :D
Just checking in to be obnoxious :D and tell that my plan is working out so far. Going on for 3+ months now. I'm getting leaner and definitely more fit.

I try to keep my food and beverage intake within reason. Again - I do not measure or count. I'm mostly into danish rye bread with cheese for breakfast and lunch. For dinner I try to do the "only one sensible plate full". For snacking I'm mostly into bananas.

I'm a certified Cola-holic ... very seriously ... but I've managed to cut down to around 0,5L a day. That's still way too much - I know. But much much less than what I usually drink (you don't wanna know). Rest is good old plain water.

I have had a little bit of trouble with my left knee (after goofing around and playing ball with my granddaughter :facepalm: - not related to running/training). But it seems I managed to get through that too.

I just ran 5.5km and I am feeling good. :)

My diet has started working again recently, partly because I've been renewing my efforts at doing exercise. I watched a video on YouTube that had quite a sensible workout that you can do at home without equipment, and I've been doing that most days for the last couple of weeks. I also played squash last Friday for at least two hours, which was pretty good. Overall, since I started last October/November, I'm down 12 kg and I have lost about 9 cm around my waist.

I still want to lose another 5 or 6 kg and get down to a 34" waist (I was at 38", and am now comfortably in 36"). Hopefully, if I can keep my current progress going, I can do that in another 2 or 3 months, but there's no timetable. At the age of 50, this is hard work but I already feel a lot stronger and fitter than I did last year.