Project Fitness, Group effort? Whose up for it?

Sustainerplayer

On the edge of breakup
I heard a thing that made sense (to me at least). We are basically made as scavengers. We use a lot of energy so we have evolved to look for food containing fats or sugars in high proportions. Nothing naturally has both with the so we have never evolved anything to handle foods with both. If you hit the right proportions of high fat and high sugar the body doesn't know what's hit it and thinks this is the perfect food - more please. Things like burgers, pizza, crisps, cakes etc. are made specifically to push our feeble human appetites into overdrive. It's the human equivalent of pretending to throw a ball for a dog. We will fall for it every time.
It's all true.

Just think of this experiment.

Grab a bowl of sugar and start eating. Well - you will stop rather quickly.

Grab a bowl of fat and start eating. Well - you will stop rather quickly.

Mix both 50/50 - like a donut (a donut is the perfect balance between sugar and fat) ... now we can eat too much.

Tankman

Subtly not giving a F*ck
I forgot to weigh myself. I haven't been able to start running again. My left knee is still bothering me. I might just hit the weights. Sometimes I regret selling my hometrainer bike thing. On the other hand, that took about 4 times as long to get the same amount of training as it does with running.

mirage2101

I forgot to weigh myself. I haven't been able to start running again. My left knee is still bothering me. I might just hit the weights. Sometimes I regret selling my hometrainer bike thing. On the other hand, that took about 4 times as long to get the same amount of training as it does with running.
I have a home trainer gathering dust if you want one again.

I had running training yesterday. Since I joined a club I’ve had a lot less pains and aches. Apparently some of the silly walks they make us do work. My speed is slowly increasing 6:30/km

I’ll weigh in too. I could use some social pressure :)

Tankman

Subtly not giving a F*ck
I have a home trainer gathering dust if you want one again.

I had running training yesterday. Since I joined a club I’ve had a lot less pains and aches. Apparently some of the silly walks they make us do work. My speed is slowly increasing 6:30/km

I’ll weigh in too. I could use some social pressure :)
Thanks for the offer. At first I thought YES! But then I realised the spare room I had been using for the hometrainer and other hobby stuff is now my son's room, so I wouldn't know where to put it!

Sustainerplayer

On the edge of breakup
I started a couple of months ago on my "30 minutes+ of activities 4 to 5 days a week". I take turns between home trainer-bike, running and lifting weights. Today I passed the 5 kilometer mark for the first time running. I don't think I'll run much longer distances than that.

I'm trying to make this a integral part of my life going forward. So I'm not obsessing about time vs kalories burnt vs "what does the scale say today".
I have done that before - and although I can set my mind up to work out like a maniac for extended times - sooner or later I hit a wall of some sort - and loose the incitement.

This time is all about just keeping it at a level where I can keep it up ... ehhrm ... forever. :p No measures no - other goals than "work up a sweat for at least 30 minutes" 4 to 5 times a week. In fact we trashed the scale some time ago.

I'll let you know how that works out. :D

Tankman

Subtly not giving a F*ck
View attachment 36822
Since we're sharing..
My running training of monday. This is including warming up, technical exercises (Like standing on one leg and throwing a ball to each other)
When I got up this morning I still had some sore muscles.
Awesome! Is this data from a Fitbit type smartwatch or something similar? I know that area. I drive by it almost every week. Seems like a nice place for a run. I would be distracted by the airplanes, though. I have a similar area near my house. It's great to have that type of peace and quiet for exercise.

Magnus Pym

Grudges rot the soul
While my knee recovers the physio has told me that cyclic excises are good (bike, cross trainer) and reciprocating (running, rowing) are bad as they put too much pressure through the joint. One of the problem I had is that becasue my knee hurt for a period of time I was subconsciously avoiding muscle goups that put pressure on it. It only takes a few weeks of this before I was losing muscle tone and making the problem worse. I've been doing the recommended exercises (leg lifts, quad arcs etc). I've also got some cycling pedals called DeskCycle that I can use while I sit down and altogether it seems to be working.

Wade Garrett

I am the projectionist.
It's been a bit of a disappointing week for me, I have lost 2lbs but should have lost more. My long shift at work on Saturdays gets really boring by the end of it, if you combine that with the fact the day is totally out of my daily routine I end up eating more than I should.

Still, I weigh less than I did last Monday so it's a win overall.

Tankman

Subtly not giving a F*ck
While my knee recovers the physio has told me that cyclic excises are good (bike, cross trainer) and reciprocating (running, rowing) are bad as they put too much pressure through the joint. One of the problem I had is that becasue my knee hurt for a period of time I was subconsciously avoiding muscle goups that put pressure on it. It only takes a few weeks of this before I was losing muscle tone and making the problem worse. I've been doing the recommended exercises (leg lifts, quad arcs etc). I've also got some cycling pedals called DeskCycle that I can use while I sit down and altogether it seems to be working.
I guess I could grab one of the city bikes and just bike around town a bit. It's not high intensity exercise but it's better than nothing. My usual problem with biking is that it takes me too long to get the same level of result compared to running. With running I can do a quick 15 minute sprint and I'm done. With biking it takes at least an hour, if not more. I just don't have the time and patience to do that.

Magnus Pym

Grudges rot the soul
I guess I could grab one of the city bikes and just bike around town a bit. It's not high intensity exercise but it's better than nothing. My usual problem with biking is that it takes me too long to get the same level of result compared to running. With running I can do a quick 15 minute sprint and I'm done. With biking it takes at least an hour, if not more. I just don't have the time and patience to do that.
The good thing about bikes for transport is that they are very efficient. The bad thing about bikes for exercise is that they are very efficient.

mirage2101

Awesome! Is this data from a Fitbit type smartwatch or something similar? I know that area. I drive by it almost every week. Seems like a nice place for a run. I would be distracted by the airplanes, though. I have a similar area near my house. It's great to have that type of peace and quiet for exercise.
Polar running watch.
From here you don't see the airplanes. You'd have to get up the geniedijk to see them. And I grew up here so I'm used to planes being about.
When I really want some room I go to the waterleidingduinen. But that's only worth it for longer runs.

Tankman

Subtly not giving a F*ck
Polar running watch.
From here you don't see the airplanes. You'd have to get up the geniedijk to see them. And I grew up here so I'm used to planes being about.
When I really want some room I go to the waterleidingduinen. But that's only worth it for longer runs.
Oooh, those watches look cool. I love watching airplanes so the distraction would not be negative for me. :p. If there's too much traffic on the A9 I usually look for a good parking spot next to a runway and watch airplanes.