Project Fitness, Group effort? Whose up for it?

Feel free to PM me to describe your cravings: your diet may need tweaking.
The cravings are always for food that increases my mental happiness, not so much a "I want sweet things, I must be low on xyz minerals, let's eat some broccoli and cheese instead". It's always the same stuff - mexican food and sushi.

It's also sometimes a crime of opportunity, sometimes I'll be at a catered event and there will be food available such that if I don't eat it I won't get to eat again until much later, so I figure "meh, I need to eat don't I?".

This is entirely a mental thing.

Wade Garrett

I am the projectionist.
The cravings are always for food that increases my mental happiness, not so much a "I want sweet things, I must be low on xyz minerals, let's eat some broccoli and cheese instead". It's always the same stuff - mexican food and sushi.

It's also sometimes a crime of opportunity, sometimes I'll be at a catered event and there will be food available such that if I don't eat it I won't get to eat again until much later, so I figure "meh, I need to eat don't I?".

This is entirely a mental thing.
I totally get that.

Steve91

Wannabe Superheroine.
I had a shitty week diet wise and went completely over board. It happens from time to time, sticking to a strict diet for long periods gets to me and this happens. I guess I'll try not to let it get me down and start working on getting rid of the weight I put on.
My only advise is to use an app ( I use My Fitness Pal ) to track calories. I find it quite surprising to see just how much I eat, and it helps build a proper diet. For example, I feel like I've pigged today, but only actually taken in 1200 calories. When you consider that I burn roughly 600 calories at the gym, I'm actually under-eating!

I'm really focusing on what I can do in one week of being really good. I'm up at 05.45 to go to the gym every day, and ensuring that my calorie intake stays below 2k. My next goal is to get under 15 stone ( 14st 10lb is my 3 stone ) and I'm pushing to get there.

DrJazztap

Need to get a house sorted. Then a small home gym. I've piled on the pounds since I stopped cycling to work. Amazing what 100 miles a week plus cycling does to you.
I detest exercise generally and cycling was my thing. Something I could escape with. Sadly 40 miles to work a day is bit too far for me. It's just getting back into the routine of it. Once ive got my own space with enough room i can get back in the habit. Thinking 6-7am Monday to Friday. I do need to pick up a fitness tracker as I know I'm very target and goal obsessed. Just need to find one which allows me to wear it along with my standard watch as well without looking daft.

Wade Garrett

I am the projectionist.
When I lost 13 stone (182lbs/82.5kg) I had to be ultra hard core about shifting the weight and as a result I found that it felt like I wasn't living due to the restrictions I placed upon my self.

In the four years or so since I reached my lowest weight I regained my life but I have also been slowly regaining the weight. I have tried several times to lose it again but only mange a certain amount before messing up, holidays and stressful periods are the hardest times to eat properly.

I've considered posting in this thread several times but I've failed at losing the weight again so many times I'm kinda ashamed of my inability sort out my shit. This time however I'm posting, I'm hoping a weekly post here on my progress will spur me on to success.

I want to get back to 12 stone (168lbs/76 kg) so I can live in the 12 to 13 stone range. When I started losing weight last Monday I weighed 19 stone 5 lbs (271lbs/123kg), the shame! At my first weigh in today I weighed 18st 8lbs (260lbs/118kg). I'm happy with my first week, I just need to keep up the effort now. Onwards!

bad alice

Easily distracted and...OHLOOKAGUITAR!!!
When I lost 13 stone (182lbs/82.5kg) I had to be ultra hard core about shifting the weight and as a result I found that it felt like I wasn't living due to the restrictions I placed upon my self.

In the four years or so since I reached my lowest weight I regained my life but I have also been slowly regaining the weight. I have tried several times to lose it again but only mange a certain amount before messing up, holidays and stressful periods are the hardest times to eat properly.

I've considered posting in this thread several times but I've failed at losing the weight again so many times I'm kinda ashamed of my inability sort out my shit. This time however I'm posting, I'm hoping a weekly post here on my progress will spur me on to success.

I want to get back to 12 stone (168lbs/76 kg) so I can live in the 12 to 13 stone range. When I started losing weight last Monday I weighed 19 stone 5 lbs (271lbs/123kg), the shame! At my first weigh in today I weighed 18st 8lbs (260lbs/118kg). I'm happy with my first week, I just need to keep up the effort now. Onwards!
*Now correctly EDITED!*:facepalm:
Mitch and I decided we both needed to lose some weight after New Year this year
But yeah, to echo what you’ve jus said above @Wade Garrett, we wanted to try and do that in a way that we didn’t feel like we were restricting our enjoyment of life.
Our solution (and by that I mean I’m absolutely NOT rolling this out as the “perfect diet” or some such bollocks. Everyone is different where losing weight is concerned!) is that eat 3 smaller meals a day that all of which feature a lot of veg and/or fruit plus - and this is key to feeling “filled up” - we drink a min of 2L of water each a day too. It’s easy (and cheap) to keep tabs on this by buying two 2L bottles of water and then label, refill and keep them in the fridge so we can judge how we’re doing in that at a glance. When I’m at work I have a 500ml water bottle with me thatI keep refilling from the water cooler so I can keep tabs there too.
We’ve both lost about 20lbs since January and that includes the occasional “fhhk the diet, we’re going out for a meal” and our trip to Paris where we left the diet at home!
:)

Last edited:

Tankman

Subtly not giving a F*ck

What are you doing to lose weight. What kind of diet or exercise?

I usually weigh around 88kg. Which is at the top end of what is healthy for my height and age. I've gone down to 84kg by following a (semi)Paleo diet. I say semi, because I cut out bread, potatoes, rice and pasta, but if I ate something that had breadcrums in it, I would still eat it. Hence, not 100% Paleo. You lose weight like crazy when doing that, but your body also needs to learn to get it's energy elsewhere, so you feel tired pretty quickly in the first few weeks. We went on a holiday and left the diet at home, and when we came back I just wasn't feeling it anymore, so we quit. The weight slowly went up again.

Having had the baby recently, the first 3 months took away most of my spare time, so no time to exercise at all. The weight has now gone up to 92kg, which is still not horrible, but it is too high. I am one of those people who likes to attack problems before they occur and not let things get out of hand first. I started running again recently, but I tweaked my knee, and haven't been on a run for 2 weeks now, so that's a bummer. I'm going to try again this weekend.

As for diets. I also do not want to restrict myself. I mean, I enjoy the occasional snack or fastfood restaurant. So what I've started doing since last week is keeping my regular healthy, low sugar breakfast cereals in my diet. Then for lunch I've cut out bread at least at work. At home, I might still take a sandwich. For dinner we are making our portions of potatoes, rice, pasta etc smaller and our portions of veggies larger. Well, only slightly larger as we usually already eat a lot of greens.

I haven't stepped on the scale yet, but I am feeling fit. I saw a video of myself at a gig last weekend and I was not looking heavy or anything, so I'm happy with that. We also got a very tall mirror installed in our bedroom, so you get confronted with yourself daily. That also helps.

bad alice

What are you doing to lose weight. What kind of diet or exercise?

I usually weigh around 88kg. Which is at the top end of what is healthy for my height and age. I've gone down to 84kg by following a (semi)Paleo diet. I say semi, because I cut out bread, potatoes, rice and pasta, but if I ate something that had breadcrums in it, I would still eat it. Hence, not 100% Paleo. You lose weight like crazy when doing that, but your body also needs to learn to get it's energy elsewhere, so you feel tired pretty quickly in the first few weeks. We went on a holiday and left the diet at home, and when we came back I just wasn't feeling it anymore, so we quit. The weight slowly went up again.

Having had the baby recently, the first 3 months took away most of my spare time, so no time to exercise at all. The weight has now gone up to 92kg, which is still not horrible, but it is too high. I am one of those people who likes to attack problems before they occur and not let things get out of hand first. I started running again recently, but I tweaked my knee, and haven't been on a run for 2 weeks now, so that's a bummer. I'm going to try again this weekend.

As for diets. I also do not want to restrict myself. I mean, I enjoy the occasional snack or fastfood restaurant. So what I've started doing since last week is keeping my regular healthy, low sugar breakfast cereals in my diet. Then for lunch I've cut out bread at least at work. At home, I might still take a sandwich. For dinner we are making our portions of potatoes, rice, pasta etc smaller and our portions of veggies larger. Well, only slightly larger as we usually already eat a lot of greens.

I haven't stepped on the scale yet, but I am feeling fit. I saw a video of myself at a gig last weekend and I was not looking heavy or anything, so I'm happy with that. We also got a very tall mirror installed in our bedroom, so you get confronted with yourself daily. That also helps.
Yep, this sounds a lot like what M and I do.
Also, I LOVE cereal #WIN so a bowl of Fruit and Fibre and a banana are my got to work lunch.
It’s defo about finding the *healthy” things you get enjoyment out of - for example, M bought a bulk order of sugar free boiled sweets off Amazon to appease out sweet tooth needs when they kick in...

Tankman

Subtly not giving a F*ck
Yep, this sounds a lot like what M and I do.
Also, I LOVE cereal #WIN so a bowl of Fruit and Fibre and a banana are my got to work lunch.
It’s defo about finding the *healthy” things you get enjoyment out of - for example, M bought a bulk order of sugar free boiled sweets off Amazon to appease out sweet tooth needs when they kick in...
It is really all about replacing the bad stuff with something healthy or healthier that you still can enjoy. One of the biggest and most helpful steps is to learn to just drink water in stead of drinking juice or coke or whatever. We've gotten to a point where we don't even enjoy coke anymore because it's to sweet for us. Of course the occasional soda when your eating fastfood or whatever is nice, but at home, it's really just coffee and water. Which brings me to coffee. Limiting yourself to 1 or 2 cups a day also makes you feel a lot better.

Magnus Pym

Grudges rot the soul
I think that the main thing is calories add weight. Other things are about appetite and digestion. It is sometimes worth keeping a food diary and analysing exactly what you eat and where your calories come from. There are sometimes some easy wins to be had like fizzy pop or surprises (no-one guess the right calories for take-away pizza until they look).

Last edited:

Wade Garrett

I am the projectionist.
I'm pretty clued up on what (and how much) I need to eat to lose weight, I mainly eat fruit, veg, chicken, rice and nuts. There's variation in there of course but that's mainly it, I also take a few vitamin supplements and mix wheat grass and astragalus powder in water to drink during the day (it really helps to pick you up). For exercise I cycle between 2 and 4 hours a week.

The biggest problem I have is I sometimes binge on utter shit for a few days, the sense of freedom of eating things I usually deny my self is overwhelming and I have a very addictive personality. Over the last year it got out of control and a few days would turn into two weeks and would happen way more often than it used to.

The fact I saw myself approaching 20 stone has made me realize I need to sort my self out. Losing weight is a mental game for me, I just need to keep my eye on the prize. I'll get there.

bad alice

I'm pretty clued up on what (and how much) I need to eat to lose weight, I mainly eat fruit, veg, chicken, rice and nuts. There's variation in there of course but that's mainly it, I also take a few vitamin supplements and mix wheat grass and astragalus powder in water to drink during the day (it really helps to pick you up). For exercise I cycle between 2 and 4 hours a week.

The biggest problem I have is I sometimes binge on utter shit for a few days, the sense of freedom of eating things I usually deny my self is overwhelming and I have a very addictive personality. Over the last year it got out of control and a few days would turn into two weeks and would happen way more often than it used to.

The fact I saw myself approaching 20 stone has made me realize I need to sort my self out. Losing weight is a mental game for me, I just need to keep my eye on the prize. I'll get there.
From witnessing your progress when you’ve set your mind to this before?
I have NO doubt in my mind WHATSOEVER you’ll reach your goal, Gronw
:hug:

A-D-L

Northern Monkey
I suppose i'm lucky in the sense that I never feel overly restricted when it comes to food. I don't have many cravings and tend not to snack too much.

What's been working for me is adding vegan/vegetarian food which has replaced all but one of my meat meals, added a butt load of veg and is quick and easy to cook. Though i'll say i'm also hitting the weights and trying to gain some more mass.
It’s defo about finding the *healthy” things you get enjoyment out of
That's probably the single best piece of advice for food ever. There is so much food out there you will be bound to find something that is both healthy and you enjoy.

mirage2101

My regular meals aren't anything special. The problem enters late in the evening when I want a "snack". And I don't mean carrots or stuff like that. I want chips, or cheese, that kinda stuff.
I haven't found something yet that is healthy and solves that craving.

Last year I went do a dietician and she said I was actually undereating during the day. I should pick up her advice again about healthy snacks during the day..

Quitting smoking was easier then this diet crap..

Tankman

Subtly not giving a F*ck
Snacking on chips at night for me used to be more of a habit. Snacking when visiting friends etc as well. We become accustomed to putting a bunch of unhealthy snacks on the table when we receive guests. I have basically taught myself to not take anything, besides drinks. Once you've gotten used to saying no thank you or just not grabbing a handful of chips or whatever, it's really quite easy.

mirage2101

Snacking on chips at night for me used to be more of a habit. Snacking when visiting friends etc as well. We become accustomed to putting a bunch of unhealthy snacks on the table when we receive guests. I have basically taught myself to not take anything, besides drinks. Once you've gotten used to saying no thank you or just not grabbing a handful of chips or whatever, it's really quite easy.
Maybe I should quit chips cold turkey too ;-)

Magnus Pym

Grudges rot the soul
I heard a thing that made sense (to me at least). We are basically made as scavengers. We use a lot of energy so we have evolved to look for food containing fats or sugars in high proportions. Nothing naturally has both with the so we have never evolved anything to handle foods with both. If you hit the right proportions of high fat and high sugar the body doesn't know what's hit it and thinks this is the perfect food - more please. Things like burgers, pizza, crisps, cakes etc. are made specifically to push our feeble human appetites into overdrive. It's the human equivalent of pretending to throw a ball for a dog. We will fall for it every time.

Tankman

Subtly not giving a F*ck
I heard a thing that made sense (to me at least). We are basically made as scavengers. We use a lot of energy so we have evolved to look for food containing fats or sugars in high proportions. Nothing naturally has both with the so we have never evolved anything to handle foods with both. If you hit the right proportions of high fat and high sugar the body doesn't know what's hit it and thinks this is the perfect food - more please. Things like burgers, pizza, crisps, cakes etc. are made specifically to push our feeble human appetites into overdrive. It's the human equivalent of pretending to throw a ball for a dog. We will fall for it every time.
That's quite interesting. So logically, if the problem is that you have tricked your body into thinking it needs all these fatty and sweet foods, the solution would be to trick your body otherwise. Then it would come down, as I've mentioned before to changing your habits. You will probably have a hard time at first, but once 'your body is tricked' you should be good to go.

Magnus Pym

Grudges rot the soul
Really it's that your body is pre-tricked. All they have to do is show you picktures and your body says 'I want'. That's why it's so hard to give them up. It's like an addiction. McDonalds and Pizza Hut know this. Damn the pusher, man.