price changes/exchange frustrations

Discussion in 'Chapman Guitars' started by tylertheterrible, Feb 2, 2018.

1. johnniegoat

johnniegoat Stop, don’t, come back.

i dropped out too. its taken @ 20 yrs to get my career to a point that took my graduate friends about 10 yr or less

its not going to college makes you rich - its the choice *and* perceived choice

you are rich if you have choices. my family is not wealthy but has done well, as most of us went to uni/ poly when it was free if you had the right grades. now you need the grades *and* finance. so now people like my family are put off furthering their education

similarly low paid jobs - to get my job now, you need to prove 10-15 yrs experience or have a relevant degree. if i was 25 yr old me, i would not get my job

there is a story in the paper this week - delivery driver died from diabetes related illness because if he took time off to go to the doctor, not only did he lose his day's income but his employer fined him. he felt he had no choice

i have more choice, but not as much as others. a good education gives you more choices to get ahead

2. ten-foot-tryptych

ten-foot-tryptych half rock, half gas

YouTube Channel:
    Charbarhousemusic
    It was ten years after I graduated (from my first degree) that I saw the value of it; not in terms of what I learned but in the doors it opened that would have remained shut. Up until that point I had perceived it as being a bit of a waste of time and money.

3. Wade Garrett

Wade Garrett I am the projectionist.

100% this.

4. Brad_A

Brad_A New Member

Update on original topic. I decided to order the ML1 Pro modern lunar from a Canadian store instead of the US route. Easier
    To deal with rather than trying to figure out exact costs of shipping from US and also paying customs/brokerage fees (also easier
    to return if there was an issue with the product). As well, my pre-order of the ML1 Baritone will also be arriving this week. Not only will this be my first Chapman, but I’ll be getting 2 !!! As for the Canadian prices, depending on which retailer you order from, there
    is a different tax rate which can add up to a good amount if that’s an issue when talking budget. (Both retailers offer free shipping)

5. tylertheterrible

tylertheterrible Well-Known Member

I assume you are referring to no pst in alberta? Yes it does help for sure. It doesn't really make sense for me to order from Ontario anyways, as its very far (im 28 hours drive from riff city and its well ovrr 40 hours to Ontario. Anyways, to me it appears the Canadian chapman retailers have raised the prices to be very similar to what it would cost to import anyways, i do realize importing adds a bunch of headache. I have family in Winnipeg and am considering just going to riff city. Still would have to pay import fees so I will need to do research first,

6. Brad_A

Brad_A New Member

Yes. The no PST thing. Taxes are 5% (Alberta) vs 13% (Ontario). On the Pro models, that’s a difference of approximately $100 from your wallet.