Prelude to a NGD

Tankman

Subtly not giving a F*ck
I don't want to post about my new purchase before I actually receive it, but I do want to share my shopping experience.

I had ordered a Fender Jim Root Jazzmaster in the new white finish. I was excited. I had been waiting for it to go in production in this color for 10 years. And then it started getting delayed again and again and Fender just kept promising to deliver it soon, only to delay it again. So out of principal we (the shop and I) decided to forget about it and not get a Fender. So I started trying to figure out what other guitar might interest me. I looked at everything and found nothing. I then asked my wife for advice and that's where the ball started rolling.

She said, well, to be honest, the only guitar you have ever been excited about consistantly is the guitar you've had longest which is my PRS Tremonti SE that I bought 15 years ago. She said, have a look at PRS. Now PRS is one of the brands I like best, but I never considerd it because of the pricepoints of the USA models. I already have the SE. I want a USA model. After searching online a bit I found the S2 and CE24 models which are reasonably priced. After searching some more, I found two shops with lots of stock, but one stood out.

Last Friday the wife and I drove for 2 hours to visit The Fellowship of Acoustics. What a beautiful, amazing shop with great employees and a nice café as well. The building is an old municipal building which looks like the White House. They had 2 walls of PRS's and they allowed me to pull everything off. I learned quite a lot.

The new Indonesian SE's are actually amazing and look better than the old one. I absolutely hated the S2. It felt and looked cheap. I did not like the McCarty's. The scale was too short and it bothered me. I liked the Custom 24 and 22 a lot, but the neck is a tad too fat and I didn't like the glossy finish on the neck either. The SE Hollowbody was also killer!

I had concluded that what I want is the perfect marriage of a Gibson and a Fender. I found the CE24 to be just that. Mahogany body, Maple bolt-on neck, Maple top, Rosewood board, 2 splittable humbuckers. They had 3 of the limited Satin models and 1 of the regular high gloss models. The satins felt weird to me. The ebony boards were slowing me down somehow. The satin finish looked and felt amazing to the touch, but it still felt a bit off to play. The regular high gloss model was amazing. It felt perfect. The neck is amazing. The perfect size and scale. The fretwork was amazing. The guitar sung. I ended up plugging it in to a '65 reverb. The 85/15 humbuckers are seriously some of the best I've heard. Split them, and you get the most spectacular cleans ever.

Needless to say, I was in love. I was not planning on buying a guitar immediately, but I ended up ordering one through the shop. I'll leave you with a cliff hanger on which one it is I got in the end. Hopefully it will be here in a couple of weeks after I return from holiday.

mirage2101

I actually shared that video in the what put a smile on my face thread last week. That's the shop I went to. It's lovely!
When I was selling my les paul I e-mailed a bit with the guys at fellowship. They were really fair about it and actually recommended I sell the guitar myself instead of doing a trade.

How is their amp assortment?

Tankman

Subtly not giving a F*ck
When I was selling my les paul I e-mailed a bit with the guys at fellowship. They were really fair about it and actually recommended I sell the guitar myself instead of doing a trade.

How is their amp assortment?
Yeah they are very nice folk. I hung out with the owner for a bit on their terrace while having a drink. Great guy.

The amp assortment was pretty decent. Mostly boutique stuff and the obvious Fender combo's. They even had a Kemper with matching cab.