Possible to wire a killpot switch as a coil split?

Hello everybody, I've been given some sort of Epiphone SG and it has a 'killpot'. This is not for me at all. I love the neck though but I really prefer strat single sounds. Is there a way to rewire this killpot as a kind of coil split? I know there's all sorts of stuff I could buy but I am properly skint, I mean it, I'm on Bulgarian wages, there will be no buying of anything, just hoping there's a way to re-purpose what I have. Thanks all.

Robstafarian

The Good and Wise Call Me “Rufus”
Kill switches are typically momentary, and coil-split switches are latching. Do you need me to explain the difference?

everfreetree

I... I like trees.
Hello everybody, I've been given some sort of Epiphone SG and it has a 'killpot'. This is not for me at all. I love the neck though but I really prefer strat single sounds. Is there a way to rewire this killpot as a kind of coil split? I know there's all sorts of stuff I could buy but I am properly skint, I mean it, I'm on Bulgarian wages, there will be no buying of anything, just hoping there's a way to re-purpose what I have. Thanks all.
As Rob said, since it's not a "latching" switch or a push-pull, it can't really coil-split, since it needs to stay engaged.
You'd have to at least get a push-pull, but if you really can't grab a couple dollars worth of new pots, maybe the mod should wait a bit, no?

So you mean there isn't a way to make the switch latch? I wonder how they do it in the factory?

How long do you think I should wait everfreetree?

The just buy new stuff and throw old stuff out mantra isn't really working out well for the planet so far.

everfreetree

I... I like trees.
So you mean there isn't a way to make the switch latch? I wonder how they do it in the factory?

How long do you think I should wait everfreetree?

The just buy new stuff and throw old stuff out mantra isn't really working out well for the planet so far.
I said nothing about throwing anything away.
The Kill Pot can be put in a box for another day, for another mod, or given to someone who has been wanting one on their instrument.
A Kill Pot isn't made to do what you need, since it doesn't have the necessary connections for how you'd need to wire it, cause all it really does is interrupt the signal while you hold it, then let it flow again when you release. Nothing related to what a push-pull or push-push does.

Forgive me if I'm misreading it, but your response seems almost, oddly, aggressive, considering you asked for help/input and all I did was offer it.
No one's out to get you, or the planet, bud.
Just trying to help.

I'm sorry for any attitude, I'm ill in bed and that other person's post seemed a bit rude and patronising for no reason and probably put me on the defensive, maybe I misread it. I just always find that the default response is for people to say 'buy something' or 'save up' and then 'buy something' and I wanted to be clear that wasn't an option, not just because I can't afford it but because I moved out here and choose this life to live frugally and putting the pot in a pot is realistically as good as binning it in my situation/location.

I recently had a similar thing with a car part, people on the internet from the UK were telling me that if I couldn't even afford a £30 part then I shouldn't even have the car. I gave up on asking, took it apart, re-soldered it and it's still working today. I know that a killpot is tiny and not a big deal to get rid of I just don't have that mindset anymore.

I don't know much, clearly, but I thought that all a coil split switch did was interrupt the circuit somewhere but for a period of one's choosing?

It must be a spring or clip or something, I don't know if something could be adapted or what, I'll have to just take it apart.

It's not the end of the world but it's not something I'm ever going to buy you know? Was just hoping to repurpose something to better suit me.

I've just this second thought though, maybe I could just have it permanently split?

Anyway, if anything my interaction here has made me more determined to split these coils. I think there will be a way but I don't suppose it will be pretty.

Sorry, scratch the original idea, just discovered the image of a split pot I was looking at was infact just a stock image of a standard pot, there's no chance this would work on what I have.

Robstafarian

The Good and Wise Call Me “Rufus”
I'm sorry for any attitude, I'm ill in bed and that other person's post seemed a bit rude and patronising for no reason and probably put me on the defensive, maybe I misread it.
If you are referring to me, then rest assured that I understand financial limitations (and how poor health can affect one's attitude) all too well. My post included that question because I was not certain it was reasonable to assume that someone in Bulgaria would be familiar with English switch nomenclature.

Last edited:

Chu

Sorry, scratch the original idea, just discovered the image of a split pot I was looking at was infact just a stock image of a standard pot, there's no chance this would work on what I have.
Yep, indeed. You could use tape if you wanted to hold the switch down or if you genuinely are never going to use humbucker mode you could wire it as permanently split. I see your point about Robstafarian's comment too. If you knew more about him, you'd know he didn't mean that with any condescension, he genuinely likes to help. For reasons you cannot be expected to know, he's worded his post in a way that can be interpreted in different ways.

Edit- Damn it, he beat me here due to my lack of network from earlier!