Please Help with hooking 2 cabinets to 1 amp head

deedug

I am considering buying a Hughs & Kettner Tubmeister 36 amp head. I would like to have two 1x12 cabinets.
On the back of the Amp head it has 1 output saying 1 x 8-16 Ω.
The 1x12 cabinates are Harley Benton and on the back there is 1 input saying
Power rating: 60 W
Impedance: 8 Ohm.

Is what I am trying to do possible. If so what do I need to do?

Thanks

Wade Garrett

I am the projectionist.
If you just split the output of your head into the two cabs, you’re hooking the cabs up in parallel, so the resistance seen by the head will be ~4 Ohms. You can get an impedance transformer like this:
https://www.tedweber.com/z-matcher-50

Then you can just get a Y-splitter speaker cable to run from the output of the impedance selector.
That Z Matcher 50 is cool, I never knew there was such a thing.

Robstafarian

The Good and Wise Call Me “Rufus”
If you just split the output of your head into the two cabs, you’re hooking the cabs up in parallel, so the resistance seen by the head will be ~4 Ohms. You can get an impedance transformer like this:
https://www.tedweber.com/z-matcher-50

Then you can just get a Y-splitter speaker cable to run from the output of the impedance selector.
This is correct, which is why deedug should probably start a thread to discuss his overall rig plan.

Tetanus

you aslo can run 2 cabinets in series if 1 have a through/out option. That's what I've done. amp to cab1, then from cab1 to cab2.
just check the impedance.

Robstafarian

you aslo can run 2 cabinets in series if 1 have a through/out option. That's what I've done. amp to cab1, then from cab1 to cab2.
just check the impedance.
Almost all cabs are wired such that what you described creates parallel connections, rather than series connections (e.g. the jacks are wired in parallel).

Tetanus

Almost all cabs are wired such that what you described creates parallel connections, rather than series connections (e.g. the jacks are wired in parallel).
i dear to disagree
[edit] i've just re-read... yes, the cabs are parallel, but they still call this series connection.
and what i was referring to is you not need a y splitter cable, but hook up 2 cabs as regularly...

i dear to disagree
[edit] i've just re-read... yes, the cabs are parallel, but they still call this series connection.
and what i was referring to is you not need a y splitter cable, but hook up 2 cabs as regularly...
Not really applicable here, though, as @deedug mentioned there is only one input on the Harley Benton cabs, and I would further guess it’s the G112 cab. No output on the cab.

Tetanus

Not really applicable here, though, as @deedug mentioned there is only one input on the Harley Benton cabs, and I would further guess it’s the G112 cab. No output on the cab.
yes, but he did not mention the second cab ;) if you want to do it, you have to choose the right one.
I've been in the same situation. The H&K cab had only 1 input, but the big marshall had the parallel(!)out

yes, but he did not mention the second cab ;) if you want to do it, you have to choose the right one.
I've been in the same situation. The H&K cab had only 1 input, but the big marshall had the parallel(!)out
Ah, but he did.

The 1x12 cabinates are Harley Benton and on the back there is 1 input saying
Power rating: 60 W
Impedance: 8 Ohm.

Tetanus

ahhh missed the "s" at the end of the word of cabinetS... and i thought he is still searching for another one...
sorry everyone. It seems my tiredness and headaches get the worst of me lately...

In this case: I would get different cabs, or mod the existing ones, rahter than get another expensive gadget to match impedances (Which also will alter the tone).

DrHankWanfordSnr

That's not new, its always been there.
Instructions for this are in some of the Victory amp manuals; of course, the usual caveats apply for those who lack experience making cables.
I buy my caveats in bulk. And try to use them while still fresh.

I don't actually like making speaker cables as the wire is always too bulky for the jack plugs.

A good tech could add a 'serial' connection socket to one of the cabinets, which would be a stereo socket and some wiring which shouldn't be hugely expensive.

Robstafarian

I buy my caveats in bulk. And try to use them while still fresh.

I don't actually like making speaker cables as the wire is always too bulky for the jack plugs.

A good tech could add a 'serial' connection socket to one of the cabinets, which would be a stereo socket and some wiring which shouldn't be hugely expensive.
Yeah, my BluGuitar Nanocab had a serial jack. It creates some pretty cool possibilities, given that the speaker is rated for eight ohms.

Last edited:

deedug

Thanks for the input. I just have one more question. The PRS Sonzara 50 head has two x 4 ohm - two x 8 ohm and one 16 ohm outlets. Can this head play two 8 ohm cabinets at the same time?