Pickup Conundrum

DrKarnivore

Browsing your web and SMS history
Staff member
So I`ve got 2 axes with aftermarket bridge pickups, a tonezone in a dimarzio and a JB in a handbuilt gordon smith. I had the idea that these pups would be a nirvana of tone, however, I`m not best pleased.

Firstly the JB sounds muddy to me, theres not enough clarity or definition. Did I wire it wrong? Or does it just not like slab top mahogany guitars?

Then theres the tonezone, did I freaken wire this one wrong too coz it doesn`t sound right to me either, mud mud mud. It`s in a japanese built Ibe, RG450DX, so I think thats basswood or maybe alder.

First question is, is it possible to wire a pickup in wrong so it actually works, just sounds bad? They seemed wired in correctly as per the schematics to me......

Second question is what passives should I replace them with? I personally like a lot of definition, top end and bite. Neither of these are giving me that.

The only thing they sound ok with is modellers of various kinds.

andrew

check the quality of the bridge,tuners,tailpiece,nut..and ofcourse strings these things have a major impact on some guitars.

also check the wiring(especially the soldering) ...wire direct as a test and see if that changes things, mabey install some orange drops as well

DrKarnivore

Staff member
Just been lurking on a seymour duncan forum, and apparently the JB can be a bit muddy in mahogany, short scale guitars. Works well in super strats though.....so might try the JB in the ibanez!

Have just ordered a Rockfield mafia to test in the handmade guitar. Have wanted to try a rockfield for a while.

Mojo292

Man I remember when I tried to install some PUP's in my strat when I was 16, I wired them backwards, and installed them backwards. So they were kind of right, haha, not really. I did get sound from them, just not a good one. Nothing like a texas special bridge PUP in the neck, :D :D

DrKarnivore

Staff member
I`ve put pickups in a few axes before, and they were ok......

Hmmm.

Gonna try with the Mafia for a comparison, maybe put the JB in the Ibanez, a couple of dudes told me they work well in super strats and then flog the tonezone.

For clarity in that GS you might try a BKP Holy Diver - if you want more output then look at the Painkiller or Warpig. Heck, maybe even a Deactivator or a Blaze from Dimarzio?

DrKarnivore

Staff member
I was thinking of a holy diver, and then thought that for sh1ts and giggles I didn`t want to risk the price of a Bare Knuckle.

I just bought a brand new mafia off ebay for 35 squid - this was after Todd Rockfield himself actually mailed me back to advise me on what I should try. Nice dude! If it sounds like sh1t I`m going to blame him personally :D