Pickup building question

Wiggie

Rhythm because i haven't figured out lead
I'm looking into making my own pickups for a guitar i'm building and I have a question about the magnets.
Alnico magnets usually have a warmer sound and ceramic usually has a brighter, clearer sound, right? so would it be possible/practical to use (in a tele pickup design) a mix of ceramic and alnico magnets? Such as ceramic for the bass 3 strings and alnico for the treble 3 strings for a more even tone, or alnico for lows and ceramic for highs for a wide sound?

drittal

Nerd on the Prairie
I'm looking into making my own pickups for a guitar i'm building and I have a question about the magnets.
Alnico magnets usually have a warmer sound and ceramic usually has a brighter, clearer sound, right? so would it be possible/practical to use (in a tele pickup design) a mix of ceramic and alnico magnets? Such as ceramic for the bass 3 strings and alnico for the treble 3 strings for a more even tone, or alnico for lows and ceramic for highs for a wide sound?
https://www.seymourduncan.com/pickup/five-two-strat-bridge

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Tetanus

I think there are really good opportunities to explore tone and create something unique, and cool.

There are many variations you could experiment with.
Check RailHammer pickups. They are trying to do something similar.

And about magnet types. I think what people saying about darker ir brittle type of magnets are not really true. For me:
Alnicos: got more pronounced mid range
Ceramics: enhanced bottom and top end.
But there are different versions of both which could sound completely different.
Like AlNiCo II and V for example, or ceramic and ceramic 8.

And there is also the mire modern Neodymium magnets as well.

And the magnets' type is just one factor in the PU tone. There are other factors which have to be considered.

If you ever start experimenting, please let me know.
I am curious and might also could help design and/or testing these.

Tetanus

also, i would be interested if you are planning to make custom bass pickups... I just found a beaten up old bass with 2x MM pickups and i would like to retrofit a PJ set into these MM style humbucker covers.
cheers.