Pick a guitar for me!!

Discussion in 'Gear' started by Pippin89, Sep 13, 2017.

1. Pippin89

Pippin89 Member

Hi all....

So I need some inspiration. I have been made redundant and then the dozy t**ts realised they needed me for another 6 months and are paying me a rather extorsionate sum of money to stick around for a while.

All this means that in January I will have a house deposit sat in my bank account plus enough to buy a new car, have a holiday and some spare to throw at a guitar.

I am definitely a Gibson man in the Gibson vs Fender fight and Strats and Tele's really dont do it for me (maybe a Jaguar?)...

So my first thought was I would buy myself a nice Gibson Les Paul Standard but after seeing how little there is these days for the sort of money i am talking about I'm wondering if my money is better spent elsewhere. I have had several Epiphone Les Pauls and I have been borrowing a Gibson Studio for a bit and to be honest was quite underwhelmed with the Studio when you consider it cost double what my Epi did (although it is badly set up). I looked at PRS Custom 24's and it seems to be spend £700 on an SE or £3k on a proper one with nothing in between (unless I am missing something which is entirely possible).

So with a budget of around £2k what would you buy? I have never spent that much on a guitar before....

The Rules:

- Must have Humbuckers, coil splitting would be nice for a bit more flexibility but far from essential.
    - I prefer chunky heavy guitars (part of the reason I dislike Strats and Tele's).
    - Trem systems are wasted on me as i dont use them, so either some sort of hard tail bridge, or if it has a trem i need to be able to lock it and forget about it (or easily replace it)
    - I do like something thats a bit different but for obvious reasons I would also like it to be worth something in a few years time if I ever come to sell it so a known brand is always helpful.
    - Preferably new but second hand also considered (P.S. this will be January so not worth trying to sell me what you have now)

Last edited: Sep 13, 2017
    bad alice likes this.
  2. Pippin89

Pippin89 Member

Also feel free to suggest combos like a £1.5k guitar plus some new tuners and some pickups etc....

3. drittal

drittal Well-Known Member

If I had money to spend on a decent guitar I'd have an ML3 pro modern or a Bea signature on the way

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

4. Pippin89

Pippin89 Member

Unfortunately the Tele shape really doesnt do it for me. But an ML2 maybe a reasonable idea... But i suspect in a few years it will be worth diddly squat compared to the relatively low depreciation you see from the likes of Gibson. Someone correct me if i wrong here...

Thanks for the input though. It is all much appreciated

5. johnniegoat

johnniegoat Stop, don’t, come back.

bad alice and Pippin89 like this.
  6. Strigidae

Strigidae I like owls.

YouTube Channel:
    Kebbe666
    Sounds like the Les Paul Traditional checks most of your boxes. For £2k you could also look at the Standard from last year, should still be some left in stores by January.

Felix likes this.
  7. Pippin89

Pippin89 Member

The Bourbon Burst one of my favourite colours in the newer LP's. The trouble is on a dark stage I think it would look a bit plain. Needs to be in good light I think. But good tip on Dawsons I hadn't looked there.

Funilly enough all this thinking started last night watching an Andertons video on the 2018 models coming out and the Traditional took my fancy. Its what it says on the tin. A proper unadultarated LP Standard so if i end up going for a newer LP i will probably be looking at those.

johnniegoat likes this.
  8. johnniegoat

johnniegoat Stop, don’t, come back.

@Pippin89

the web pricing is still the same andertons at the mo.

i would not normally like a perimeter burst tlike that, but i was really impressed - even across the entire shop it stood out

Pippin89 likes this.
  9. Magnus Pym

Magnus Pym Grudges rot the soul

bad alice likes this.
  10. Pippin89

Pippin89 Member

bad alice and Magnus Pym like this.
  11. Robstafarian

Robstafarian The Good and Wise Call Me “Rufustarian” Staff Member

You are missing the PRS S2 Custom 24, which predates every other guitar in the S2 Series. What are your neck geometry preferences, including nut width?

ThePriseInferno likes this.
  12. drittal

drittal Well-Known Member

What about kiesel???

13. Sustainerplayer

Sustainerplayer On the edge of breakup

Gretsch.

You can thank me later.

@ssinine and ThomasIV like this.
  14. I demand satisfaction

I demand satisfaction Well-Known Member

There's also the PRS CE 24.

Or, you know, the super-affordable PRS Super Eagle II...

15. Robstafarian

Robstafarian The Good and Wise Call Me “Rufustarian” Staff Member

Yeah, I have not felt very froody today.

16. Tetanus

Tetanus Well-Known Member

If money wouldn't be an issue, I would buy a guitar with evertune bridge only...

17. Rick

Rick R'n'f'R

This has all the symptoms of an Used Lester.

@ssinine and Magnus Pym like this.
  18. Pippin89

Pippin89 Member

These appear to be discontinued now. Although there seem to be some floating around so thank you. Will certainly keep my eye on that range. As for neck geometry and nut width. I am most used to modern Les pauls but that being said I am not a good enough guitarist to find the odd 1/16th of an inch putting me off too much. I can pick up a Strat and play it just as well.
    The only thing i have found is that playing my Harley Benton for long periods (especially lots of bar chords) gives me cramp in my hand which I am putting down to the flatter fret board. I believe it is 14" over the 12" of a Les Paul. However, I think i will get used to this.

19. DrHankWanfordSnr

DrHankWanfordSnr That's not new, its always been there.

You've got a house deposit ? So you're buying a house soon ?
    Keep your current car, don't buy a guitar, use it all on the house purchase.

Robstafarian and Magnus Pym like this.
  20. Pippin89

Pippin89 Member

Certainly was my initial plan but after what I am having to put with from my company I think I deserve to spoil myself a little bit. The misses is desperate for a holiday. Cars are my other passion so i need a new project to work on.
    Definitely good advice though. My father in law is a Mortgage advisor so been speaking with him and he said similar. Put the maximum you can on the deposit and save on the mortgage. However I will still be putting down much more than the minimum so I think I can afford to spend some of it on a couple of luxuries.
    I won't be buying a house for at least a year and probably a little bit longer. Need to be settled into a new job before I choose where to buy a house. So it is going into savings until then earning the square root of FA in interest! Haha

Sustainerplayer likes this.