Pencil tele

I put the clear coat of resin on the body on Sunday, and took this photo on the following morning. The surface is a bit bumpy and will need to be sanded flat and then buffed to get the sheen back, but I hope that I will keep the dark black colour and most of the glossiness.

You can see the difference that the clear coat has made by looking inside the control cavity, where I didn't put resin.
Body 7.jpg

I'm now leaving that until next weekend to let the resin set properly before I try to sand it down. It's looking quite promising, though! You'll also see that I've routed the pickup cavities - I didn't have templates for those so I had to make them.

Yep, the dog is there because it was my gf who did the pencil arranging and she's actually the main Westie fanatic. I'm pleasantly surprised by how well the resin coat has brought out all of those colours, and as you say the dog is really noticeable now!

TBH I'd always thought of this one as a bit of a joke build but both the neck and the body are starting to look really good now. I sweated blood to get the fretboard sanded absolutely flat, and over the next week or so I'll do the fretwork, and there's no reason why it shouldn't play bloody well at the end of it. I have the Irongear Steel Twin II pickups for this guitar, which allow you to switch between a vintage and a hotter sound on each pickup, so I'll install an extra switch to select the pickup modes. I'm looking forward to finishing this one soon!

bad alice

Easily distracted and...OHLOOKAGUITAR!!!
Wow, that looks FANTASTIC!
And the resin has brought you the contrast of pencil leads against the black wood beautifully!
It’s going to be a beautiful and interesting talking point of an axe Jonathan.
Really looking forward to the final result now and also hearing about how you feel it plays and sounds too?
:)