Pencil tele

metromusic

Negative, I am a meat popsicle
Looking good! :cool:

Any thoughts on these options?
I'd go with the last fretboard, I think the darker colour of it works nice with the headstock colour and with the black glossy top. I'd leave the headstock as-is personally, as I don't know if the pencil veneer on it might be a bit too much.....personal opinion though of course!

Actually, the answer turned out to be NOTA - None Of The Above. I was showing the fretboards to my gf and she said it's a pity that I don't have a fretboard in purpleheart, to match the pencil control cover. I don't have fretboards, but I do have a plank of purpleheart and so 20 minutes later I had fretboards :)

Then I started doing something else....

More on what this is later, although the astute among you might be able to guess!

It's a gorgeous day here so I might actually spend a bit of time NOT making guitars or tables (I finished the joints in the river table legs this morning and they are currently gluing). I'll do a bit more later but for now it's time to enjoy the sun (or possibly cut the grass if I can be bothered!).

Happy Easter everybody! :bee:

It's later now, so here are some more pictures of that new piece...firstly, the little block was squared up

Then I measured 9 equal pieces and cut them up, using my fret saw to mark them and start the cut and then the band saw to finish them (carefully!)

They weren't exactly equal in width, but that's OK because I sorted them by size and put them in narrowing order as they go up the fretboard (except for using the widest one for the 12th fret). Then I worked out how long they should be, marked and cut them

Finally I used my disc sander to reveal the point of the exercise (pun intended)!

That was the easy part - the harder part will be cutting the matching holes in the fretboard. Still, thanks to @Wade Garrett for a fun idea that should look cool when it's all finished! :)

Wade Garrett

I am the projectionist.
S
It's later now, so here are some more pictures of that new piece...firstly, the little block was squared up

Then I measured 9 equal pieces and cut them up, using my fret saw to mark them and start the cut and then the band saw to finish them (carefully!)

They weren't exactly equal in width, but that's OK because I sorted them by size and put them in narrowing order as they go up the fretboard (except for using the widest one for the 12th fret). Then I worked out how long they should be, marked and cut them

Finally I used my disc sander to reveal the point of the exercise (pun intended)!

That was the easy part - the harder part will be cutting the matching holes in the fretboard. Still, thanks to @Wade Garrett for a fun idea that should look cool when it's all finished! :)
Sweet!

bad alice

Easily distracted and...OHLOOKAGUITAR!!!

Damn, that’s such a cool idea @Wade Garrett
And beautifully executed @GloopyJon
GO TEAM!
:bounce:

I inlaid the first one last night, as a test. It took a fair amount of time to get the hole exactly the right size and shape but I think it was quite successful, and the rest should go a little quicker. Obviously, this will still be sanded down and will end up looking much cleaner, and once they are all in I plan to colour the tip of each pencil with a different stain.
Pencil inlays 1.jpg

Wade Garrett

I am the projectionist.
I inlaid the first one last night, as a test. It took a fair amount of time to get the hole exactly the right size and shape but I think it was quite successful, and the rest should go a little quicker. Obviously, this will still be sanded down and will end up looking much cleaner, and once they are all in I plan to colour the tip of each pencil with a different stain.
View attachment 36587
Great stuff!

I did a bit of work on this guitar over the weekend...the pencils are inlaid, although the fretboard still needs a bit of sanding to get everything level and to get rid of the glue traces, but it should look cool after that. I also cut out the lip for the pencil cover to drop into, routed out the neck pocket and installed the side dots. The latter also involved making a little block with guide holes for 2 mm and 3 mm side dots, which allows them to be positioned evenly down the side of the fretboard. It's one of the tips that I took from John Ambler, and it's a definite improvement on my previous methods - just one of the many little things that go into making a professional-looking guitar!

Obviously, there's still quite a lot to do on this guitar. The next main job is something that you can't see here, because there are some gaps around the edge, where the pencil top meets the body, which I need to fill with resin. That's going to be tricky and quite time-consuming, but I hope to make a start on it over the next few days.

I'm still inclined to leave the headstock as it is...

Loving this. It' doesn't look like anything until you squint a bit and then the image is revealed.
:) It's supposed to be a Westie head, in honour of the subjects of my avatar! This is mainly because this build was partly the idea of my girlfriend, who bought me the pencils and who was the original Westie lover although I'm very fond of them now too.

I think that all of the pencil stuff will look a heck of a lot better when it's all been cleaned up. The plan now is to fill the remaining gaps with resin, as mentioned, and then sand it so that the shape is right, and then it will get a clear coat of resin as a finish, which should restore the colours (especially the black) and give it a fairly glossy finish. All of that is going to take some time, though, and I have visitors this week.

Over the last week or so I've been filling in the gaps around the edge of the body, which has been slow and painstaking. In the last couple of days I've also been working on the neck, first doing the neck carve and then getting the fretboard sanded absolutely flat. Here's the nicely sanded neck.

I took out all of my Stunning Stains (and used 9 of the 12 colours) and taped up the points of the pencils...

Then I coloured in the points with the stains. I got a bit of colour bleed out onto the purpleheart, but that sanded away quite easily.

And finally I installed the frets. They still need a lot of work to level and crown them etc. but this was good progress for today!

Wuzza

long time lurker
Over the last week or so I've been filling in the gaps around the edge of the body, which has been slow and painstaking. In the last couple of days I've also been working on the neck, first doing the neck carve and then getting the fretboard sanded absolutely flat. Here's the nicely sanded neck.

I took out all of my Stunning Stains (and used 9 of the 12 colours) and taped up the points of the pencils...

Then I coloured in the points with the stains. I got a bit of colour bleed out onto the purpleheart, but that sanded away quite easily.

And finally I installed the frets. They still need a lot of work to level and crown them etc. but this was good progress for today!
I saw the first pic on this post and thought, you really need to make those pencils coloured, but really didn't like to say...… :p
Have you explored the tone benefits of using HB over 4B/4H yet? :D
Cracking work dude.