PC Build Help/Recommendations

Discussion in 'Geeks Unite' started by JimothyBeed, Mar 25, 2016.

1. JimothyBeed

JimothyBeed The Fired Up Bassist.

YouTube Channel:
    JBBassMusic
    Hey guys.

So some may have seen that my Graphics Card blew up, and all of my pc is verging on 5 years old and going to get my new rig settled on asap so I Can possibly buy it piecemeal for a few months so i'm not fully using up money for other things with it to get it quick.

Here's what I have so far.

[​IMG]

Obviously building it myself cause I've done that plenty.

All this Equates to £750 roughly from the place I got the picture from.
    Ideally looking at between £500 to £1,000 as that's my usual budget I give myself.

Games wise I generally play older games that require very little graphically these days, And a few newer titles like Shadow of Mordor. I also will be doing Games Programming and Game Streaming on this.

Just want to get some more opinions incase I've picked a bad one for anything. Last time I did this I bought a powersupply that crapped out in very short time, only to see many bad reviews online that I had somehow missed. So yeah.

Butcher the choices if you want, that's what I'm asking for ;)

2. Robstafarian

Robstafarian The Good and Wise Call Me “Rufus”

What is your monitor's resolution, and what resolution would you target for a monitor upgrade in this computer's lifetime?

3. A-D-L

A-D-L Northern Monkey

Changed some bits, mostly better power supply and CPU cooler as i've never heard of that one and you really don't need 750W for a 960

http://uk.pcpartpicker.com/p/PGYGsY

I'd suggest looking into Corsair and Fractal for cases. I got the Define S recently and love it.

4. JimothyBeed

YouTube Channel:
    JBBassMusic
    Currently using a very old samsung that i'm not 100% sure on the resolution of, and a sony tv cause a accident broke my dads old dell monitor I had been using aswell.

At a quick glance, perhaps overkill, specially price wise, but looks pretty nice (though never seen aoc before) is these
    Either a pair or very eventual triple on a sturdy stand I've seen.
    which is : 1920 x 1080@144 Hz (DVI Port)

I would maybe hazard a guess my old monitor is that, cause it could do some pretty damn good resolutions when I had a Graphic card to match.

5. JimothyBeed

YouTube Channel:
    JBBassMusic
    A-D-L cheers, I hadn't seen that site before, looks really useful for this.

6. JimothyBeed

YouTube Channel:
    JBBassMusic
    This one looks pretty nice

7. Robstafarian

I will give you a detailed response tomorrow.

JimothyBeed likes this.
  8. SaqibD

SaqibD Well-Known Member

I personally always recommend used parts to anyone who knows a little about building PC's and parts. Parts depreciate very quickly since there are so many iterations and there's always another one *insert DJ Khaled meme* so like cars it can make sense to buy used.

Unless there's a particular reason you need the brand new stuff I would look into at most 2 generations back. I say this because a 6600k and 960 to me doesn't seem like the most efficient match (Personally if I was going to get a skylake CPU and DDR3 memory I would hold out for the next gen graphics cards).

An i7 from 1 generation back could let you get a 970 and a few more changes could even grab you a used 980. And although I don't stream myself I hear hyper-threading can help (if your internet connection is sufficient).

Of course used parts always have a risk associated but if you buy from a respected seller you should be dandy and a lot of them come with some sort of guarantee or warranty so to me if something works when used extensively for 3 months (for example) it should be fine.

I don't have any issues with a 750w for the setup you showed since they are usually the component you hold onto the longest so having some headroom is always a good idea. Corsair has never let me down and my 850w is fairly old now maybe 5 years.

Of course all of this is just my opinion based off of my experiences, I've been building PC's for a good 6/7 years most of which was during my teen years where I had no money..

If its of any interest my current system is:

Corsair Air 540 Gunmetal
    MSI Z97s Krait SLI
    i5 4690k @ 4.2ghz cooled with H100i GTX
    16gb (4x4gb) Black Corsair Vengeance
    GTX770 x 2 SLI
    Corsair AX850
    1tb HDD + 250GB + 120gb SSD + 64gb SSD
    -
    Corsair K50 Raptor keyboard
    Steelseries Rival mouse
    Steelseries Siberia Raw Prism headset
    iiyama 27" 1080p 120hz monitor

Everything here is used minus the Motherboard, CPU, mouse, headset and the SSD's so I would guesstimate I paid around 70-75% of the actual value. But it's fairly new, my build before this which I gave to my brother had a used i5 and Sabertooth motherboard.

9. JimothyBeed

YouTube Channel:
    JBBassMusic
    It's funny you should mention your old build, cause mine current pc is similar haha. Used to have a 560/70/80 Ti graphics card which is what blew up.

Aye I've only once bought a pc, i've always built every other one since I was young with my dad so pretty experienced with it too.

I've spoken to another friend who suggested that going from an i5 to a i5 specially with the small GHz jump was a bit of a pointless change.

I've actually now upped the specs to a i7 skylake at 4.00, motherboard equipped for DDR4, and 32Gigs ram just to boost that a tad. Was surprised I apparently only have 8gbs ram in this, unless it's two 8's that are somehow set to half if that's even a thing.

I mainly want to do a new build entirely because I enjoy it, and I lasted 5 years with this current one, probably still has another one or two in it but I am noticing it struggling with new games more.

I mean i'm probably considering this to be my last full build, then i'll just go the route of getting better parts as and when I need them. And Gonna take better care of this pc so it stays how I want it to look so I don't get bored of it. (Probably still with new cases every so often anyways ;)

SaqibD likes this.
  10. SaqibD

SaqibD Well-Known Member

Very similar haha i had the p67 sabertooth and 2500k but at 4.5ghz (that cpu was a beast to overclock)

Sounds good though i think you'll benefit from the i7 and even more so with a 1080GTX when that drops in the near future.

And yeah i meant to say ddr4 not 3 :D

Just promise you'll make it look pretty! Cable manage and colour scheme it. I would go as far as recommending my corsair case if you have the space. Its a fair bit wider than a regular case but all the room in the back for the power supply, ssd's and cables make life so much easier and it looks great.

I'd be interested to see the end product too I'm a keen modder/builder :)

11. JimothyBeed

YouTube Channel:
    JBBassMusic
    SaqibD what you think the purple fans are for ;) Purple and black, with a bit of red. my three favourites. Yeah I'll certainly cable manage best I can, Here's the updated spec I put together.

[​IMG]

Uses a few suggestions i've gotten to change things up a bit. Also went by best reviews from the site I put that together on. As you can see, Black and Purple, With a touch of red on the MB and Graphics card ;) haha. This'll probably not happen till late this year early next if the old one holds out as I want a nicer living space more than a new pc right now. and that'll take debt clearing and saving what I do have coming in for the best part of this year. But i'll be happier for it and then can buy this and my bass rig care free :)

Which perhaps might make some things drop in price and the spec goes up a bit more even, making it even more worth it of an upgrade just maybe.

12. Robstafarian

Is there any rush on this? It looks like I will have to delay until tomorrow.

13. JimothyBeed

YouTube Channel:
    JBBassMusic
    Not at all my friend :) I'll be honest this is Panic -Speccing cause of the GPU going Caput, as I've just said I'll likely not even get to building this new pc till well into this year possibly start of the next once i'm moved and debt free, same as the bass rig :) .

So Right now maybe a waste of your precious time seeing as who knows what'll be right to get end of this year. I might need to upgrade a few things due to price drops maybe.

Robstafarian likes this.
  14. Strigidae

Strigidae I like owls.

YouTube Channel:
    Kebbe666
    There are a couple of things you should know before you decide on what parts you want:

A) Nvidia will launch their new line of Pascal-cards in April. This will either replace the GTX960 with a much better card in the same price range, slash the price of the currently ancient 900-series Maxwell-cards or both. Either way, if your budget is up to £1000 and your configuration is £750, you'd be wise to spend the extra funds on a better gpu, as that's the component which decides when you will have to upgrade again. The X60-series, in my opinion, are for the people who aim to upgrade with every generation of cards, which from a financial perspective is not the best choice.

B) It's always worth it to go for the i7-line over the i5. The world of gaming is catching up with the rest of the world and is starting to seriously utilize multi-core and hyperthreading, basically meaning that the i7 will have a longer lifespan in terms of performance.

With that, I would not recommend buying used components. People are scum and will sell products with faults, mods or just plain lemons because they can. Hardware comes with great warranties that is well worth the price in this day of compromised quality assurance at the factories.

JimothyBeed and Robstafarian like this.
  15. JimothyBeed

YouTube Channel:
    JBBassMusic

Cheers, definitely decided unless more of my pc dies that i'll be buying this around/after christmas once my plan is complete and i've got a new flat in the works. So I'll definitely be re studying what's best at that time :) . But good to know about the Pascal Cards, And Longer lifespan is what i'm aiming for ;) . Yeah not gonna buy used.

Robstafarian likes this.
  16. shreditpenfold

shreditpenfold Well-Known Member

The B150 chipset will not allow you to overclock the cpu multiplier thus making a k series processor pretty much pointless. If you want to overclock the cpu you should go for a motherboard with the z170 chipset instead, and if you are not bothered about overclocking you can stick with the B150 board but it would be worth saving a few £s by going with the non-k variant.

Robstafarian likes this.
  17. JimothyBeed

YouTube Channel:
    JBBassMusic
    Ok thanks for that, hadn't noticed it was a k variant, Really not bothered about overclocking. Rather have it comfortably stable. Yeah i'll update it to a non k variant to save a little, probably put that back into the GPU fund.

Once I'm at a good point to start getting the parts I wouldn't too much baulk at it hitting 1k cause I'll have no guilt for doing so, Albeit it has to share saving funds with the bass rig at that point haha.

Robstafarian likes this.
  18. SaqibD

SaqibD Well-Known Member

well the auto overclocks some motherboard bios' offer are good options nowadays. I couldnt be bothered to overclock my i5 this time around and test for stability (took a good while on my last i5) so I just used the auto overclock button on my msi board. might only be 4.0ghz as opposed to the 4.5 i achieved doing it manually but its all I need for now. only bottlenecks I have currently are the GTX770's

19. JimothyBeed

YouTube Channel:
    JBBassMusic

Yeah, this motherboard had a auto overclock, on by default, for the longest time I wondered why I kept getting often bsod's till I went into the mb setup on start up and found out that was on. Realize that'd be cause I didn't have enough air cooling to cope with the heat, or a good enough cpu fan anyways. But it didn't have annoy me when I found out :p :/ haha.

20. Robstafarian

I would never trust automatic overclocking.

JimothyBeed likes this.