Outlook help

Discussion in 'Geeks Unite' started by Alan O'hagan, Apr 9, 2018.

1. Alan O'hagan

Alan O'hagan Well-Known Member

what I need is this (below) but I’m such a Luddite I’m struggling to put it into words.

- multiple people use a QR code reader to open a pre defined email address
    - when the new email opens the person scanning the QR code (on their smart phone) is presented with a user form in to which they enter some data.
    - they then press send and the email goes to the address described in the QR code.

Is that actually possible?

Thanks in advance

2. metromusic

metromusic Negative, I am a meat popsicle

I'm not too savvy with what you can do with a QR code, bit you could send them to a web page with a form on it to fill in. Not sure if you can use QR to open a new email

Robstafarian and Alan O'hagan like this.
  3. Magnus Pym

Magnus Pym Grudges rot the soul

AFAIK QR codes just hold information they don't do the work and if they did it would be a security nightmare.

I think, even if it worked you would be relying on Outlook to have a method that you could use to request it to do the work. You would then be at the mercy of MS and the users security settings to keep it working. Also difficult to switch off. As @metromusic said direct them to a web page with an email form it. There are pages on line about how to create an email form.

Robstafarian likes this.
  4. metromusic

Yeah, I had a look into it this morning and you can generate an email from a QR code, but as said this is the main point:

There's so many variables to consider in that vein, for example what if people don't have Outlook installed/use a different service. Best practice would be to send them to a web form, plus if you're hosting it as part of your own site then at least you'll be sending them there as well :)

Robstafarian and Magnus Pym like this.
  5. Alan O'hagan

Hmm ok and many thanks for the replies.

What about Google survey - any experiences with that?

6. metromusic

Yeah, you can use a QR code to link to a Google form. Haven't really tried it, but I've filled in Google forms before so would probably work for what you'd want

7. Alan O'hagan

Coolio, I’ll give that a whirl