Ordered ML3 Modern from Guitar Center

Discussion in 'Chapman Guitars' started by Braden, Jun 19, 2018.

1. Robstafarian

Robstafarian The Good and Wise Call Me “Rufus”

Apart from that “FTFY” correction, I should point out that Riff City came in after smaller retailers which have since stopped selling Chapman Guitars.
    I am glad that you have been well served, others' experiences differ greatly.

2. beans & rice

beans & rice Well-Known Member

You didn't really fix anything, except to your own pleasure. Riff City is quite often linked to the brand in the USA for a reason, while no other mom & pop joints are.

Would you mind sharing your own experiences with GC? Could be helpful.

bad alice and SemiCullen like this.
  3. Robstafarian

That was not always the case—far from it, in fact. RNA Music and Flipside Music are two names which leap to mind, as I consider Ryan (and Angela) and Ike as friends.
    Sorry dude, I am quite pressed for time because I awoke at 4PM (yet another reason why I suspect I have a sleep disorder).

Alpheus likes this.
  4. ed lespaul

ed lespaul Well-Known Member

Whoa. Guitar center must be reading this forum. My Headrush shipped!!!!

5. SemiCullen

SemiCullen Still haven't got the hang of Thursdays

I get what you're saying, Rob, but regardless of the early shops (and I'm quite fond of Ryan and Angela as well) Riff City pretty much *is* the face of Chapman Guitars in the U.S. as of right now.

bad alice, Alpheus and Robstafarian like this.
  6. Robstafarian

Yep, I took issue with the word “early.” For better or worse, Riff City has displaced some early retailers.

SemiCullen likes this.
  7. ADK

ADK Number of lost picks (2018 Season) = 4

Speaking as a Londoner who travels to the US fairly often. I have never ever had a problem buying anything from Guitar Center stores across the states (Washington, Las Vegas, Boston, New York, Nashville and others) most of my pedals come from those stores as they are muuuuuch cheaper than the UK. Same story with my Les Paul.

Eric a morbidly obese metallica fan that worked in one of these stores once told me to "never order shit online form us, if its not in stock, get it somewhere else". I've always lived by that, I figured if he works within the organisation then he probably knows better than I.

To all of those casting shadows over GC or Chapman Guitars, if you've never bought from them or don't own a recent Chapman - then I encourage you to exercise your right to remain silent / stfu.

bad alice and Braden like this.
  8. Tankman

Tankman Well-Known Member

Seems like GC is casting their own shadows. I appreciate Eric's honesty, but it's sad that he even has to mention this. Unfortunately we have similar shops in Europe with similar stories. I have got to say, I have nothing but good experiences with Thomann, Music Store and Musik Produktiv, but there are other shops....well...

ADK likes this.
  9. joeleach

joeleach Well-Known Member

I have never chimed in about this matter or about the Riff City relationship with Chapman ever on this board. But I need to point out some inaccuracies and finally stick up for us a bit. I hope you don’t mind.

The cataclysmic change of adding GC in the US has profoundly changed our store to say the least, but it’s the nature of things. We got behind Chapman in 2014 because we thought- and still think-it is an incredible value for the money spent. We knew a change like this would come one day because it would be just too tempting for a large company to pass up.

But it puts all of the talk about the early days in perspective.

It is inaccurate to say that any other retailers were on board before us. I spoke at length with Rob about the subject on that day at NAMM in 2014, and no one in the US had yet agreed to the program they were presenting to become a Chapman dealer. Chapman guitars can chime in to verify one way or another. And if another retailer had committed before us, what advantage would it be for Rob to say we were first instead? That was the first day we had ever met, there was absolutely no basis for favoring us over anyone else at that point.

It is unfair to characterize any of our actions – particularly the enthusiastic marketing we did - as having the intention of hurting other dealers. We just saw a brand with massive potential and put everything we had behind it. And I am so happy we did, by the way.

Does anyone think the right thing to do was to look at how much the others were investing in promotion and say “wait, we better pull back on our promotions a bit and make sure the other guys have a chance to catch up?”

It is also unfair for anyone to say that Chapman promoted Riff City more than other stores UNTIL we reciprocally invested more in the brand. It is pretty common for a brand to promote a retailer more as the retailer spends more. There is nothing unusual about that. To also be clear, we never asked Chapman for any money and always paid all of the expenses related to any promotion we did.

Many people do not know this, but the day I shook Rob Chapman’s hand we had a 900 square foot store and a website that was less than 1 year old. I would guess that was not much more space than any other early Chapman retailer. I do own other businesses and had the advantage of shared resources, but the money we invested in Chapman came out of the budgets originally pegged for other brands.

I’m not sure why some feel so compelled to make this “they were really first “ point when the subject comes up. What is the point of that, and what did Riff City or Chapman do to create any need to ever clarify the matter? And today I am pointing out that it is just not factual. You’d have to employ some sort of conceptual nuance to make it true.

The notion of making the distinction seems to point to the idea that the other stores suffered from some conspiracy to hurt them. I’ve just seen that jab here too often to not respond and protect our honor. I don’t want that idea to have any merit whatsoever because it is not true. And has anybody put forth a reason that Chapman would benefit from taking any favoritism with Riff City over any other? What is really the beef @Robstafarian ?

Many of you have spoken on our behalf here when these points have come up, and I truly appreciate it! I feel this forum has been very fair to our store – good and bad- and we have always tried to live up to any expectations put forth by the members. But it seems that some ideas have not been dispelled and that is what I wanted to do with this post.

Thanks to everyone for your support. I truly wish you well and hope we can be of service to you in the future. I will end by saying what I have said for a long time. Chapman Guitar customers are uncommonly gracious, respectful and awesome customers to deal with - and I mean that. There is a clear distinction and I want to make sure that is acknowledged!

Joe

Last edited: Sep 8, 2018
  10. Robstafarian

I, being of sound mind and notoriously unsound body, do hereby apologize for the following:
    • repeatedly spreading misinformation
    • being too poor to follow through on various GAS plans
    Signed,
    Rufus

11. doctorpaul

doctorpaul Negative, Ghost Rider, the pattern is full. Staff Member

Hey @joeleach ...
    Can we just hug it out?
    C’mon ...
    (stretches out arms ...)

12. everfreetree

everfreetree I... I like trees.

Section 10-iC of 'Muricaland. (Tennessee)
    Thank ya sir, for your weigh-in and corrections.
    Always nice to have something straight from the mouth of St. Joseph himself ;).

joeleach likes this.
  13. bad alice

bad alice Easily distracted and...OHLOOKAGUITAR!!!

Woah!
    WOAAAAH, THERE!
    @joeleach I’ve always enjoyed watching any YT video that features your fine establishment
    So yeah...
    Now I’ve done my hamstring stretches?
    GROUP HUG!
    :)

14. beans & rice

beans & rice Well-Known Member

It's too bad you were put on the defensive just for doing good business and making access to something tough to find here, easier. Glad you added your voice to the discussion, though. :)
    If/when I get another Chapman, or any other guitar of consequence, you're my first stop. Again.
    I still look/slobber/dream on your site...a lot. :cold:

joeleach likes this.
  15. SemiCullen

SemiCullen Still haven't got the hang of Thursdays

I always enjoy it when I get my Riff City cookie in the mail :)

everfreetree and joeleach like this.