Operation: Newb Strat Neck Relic Refinish (pic heavy)

bad alice

Easily distracted and...OHLOOKAGUITAR!!!
Quick question: how long should I leave finishing oil to harden so that I can apply a decal and then lightly dust with poly spray to seal the decal?
I put my final coat of oil on last night and it’s still a little tacky
It’s probably worth noting that it’s below freezing where I live right now although obvs I have the heating on and the neck is in the house.
All advice gratefully received!
Best tag @Lonestar @GloopyJon @johnniegoat
Cheers guys
:hug:
:)

Last edited:
Hmm...the oil will be dry after a couple of days, probably, but I'd be tempted to leave it for a good week or so anyway, just to be sure. Not that I'm an expert, far from it! I'm still very much experimenting with finishes.

Out of interest, which colour(s) did you use for your stain in the end, and did you dilute them or use them neat?

bad alice

Hmm...the oil will be dry after a couple of days, probably, but I'd be tempted to leave it for a good week or so anyway, just to be sure. Not that I'm an expert, far from it! I'm still very much experimenting with finishes.

Out of interest, which colour(s) did you use for your stain in the end, and did you dilute them or use them neat?
A week sounds like a sensible plan - plus I’m away presenting in Manchester for most of next week so the temptation to keep faffing with the nec will be removed!:D
Stain wise I ended up using a slightly dilute yellow stain as the base coat and then painted a line of neat amber stain to accent the area just either side of each fret and blended the edges of those lines into the yellow with some very careful use of a water spray; as @Lonestar mentioned above, I didn’t want to get any water into the fret slots.
I also made up a diluted amber/yellow *wash* (labelling your bottles of stain mixes is highly recommended!) to help even up any areas that lost colour during the relicking process.
All done now
So, just the WAITING for the oil to properly harden to go...
:cold:

[...]blended the edges of those lines into the yellow with some very careful use of a water spray
I've done two stain jobs recently (the 12-string and the fanned fret guitar) where I blended different colours. My method was to apply the colours, and then to use a moist sponge, rubbing over the join, which blends the colours quite nicely. It takes a bit of care and patience, but I was very happy with the results.

For a small area like your fret highlights, I would probably use a damp cotton wool bud.

I started using kitchen roll to apply the stains, but normal paper towels tend to disintegrate and leave lots of little bits on the surface. Instead of that, I bought a large, bathroom sponge and I just cut a little piece off it each time I stain a different colour. I've found that this makes a pretty good applicator.

bad alice

It’s finished!
Today was getting the hardware back on, reattaching the neck to the body and then (finally!) getting strings back on and playing this thing.
It’s not perfect but it feels great and I’m really pleased with how it turned out for a first try.
1591637C-4E8F-46BE-943C-2814EFCC38BE.jpeg
Here’s how it looked before - a little too pale for my liking, for a vintage relic anyway...
DE6C92A6-0188-41B8-A79F-C0E588F6BEE4.jpeg

And a load of thumbnails for those of you that want to get up close and personal with the finished neck:
9842B13A-10D7-43FB-AE44-BAF294275B6C.jpeg DCB9E24D-F13B-487C-8AE0-AB7BADE11F8B.jpeg 7BFDD242-7661-4D47-A147-24115BE7FAD8.jpeg A701EC4A-371C-4797-ABBC-C09AB34B575B.jpeg CB59305C-802E-4E41-AA3D-A59587B27C0B.jpeg 2842EEFF-F981-442A-A76D-1D0147651A34.jpeg
ECC1BBC0-FEE7-4FB1-A3D5-D47C992CE76E.jpeg

Wade Garrett

I am the projectionist.
It’s finished!
Today was getting the hardware back on, reattaching the neck to the body and then (finally!) getting strings back on and playing this thing.
It’s not perfect but it feels great and I’m really pleased with how it turned out for a first try.
View attachment 36027
Here’s how it looked before - a little too pale for my liking, for a vintage relic anyway...
View attachment 36028

And a load of thumbnails for those of you that want to get up close and personal with the finished neck:
View attachment 36030 View attachment 36033 View attachment 36034 View attachment 36035 View attachment 36029 View attachment 36032
View attachment 36031
Really nice job! I'm digging it very much.