NPD - P is for Picks (or Plecs)

Discussion in 'Gear' started by Davedave, Apr 20, 2017.

1. Davedave

Davedave Active Member

Hi all!

Today's my birthday. I will be spending it drinking beer, eating curry and watching a movie with my lovely wife. So just a quick post of the picks my son got me (good taste for an 18-month-old).

Thought I'd give Gravity Picks a go! I've watched a lot of videos of people (mostly Chappers) using them, and he goes into detail about them in one of the lessons I bought (also for my birthday, but I've been using them for a couple of months now). I've never really put much thought into picks in the past, so it's an interesting experiment.

I (my son) went for the RC signature (of course), an Axis 1.5 mm and an Edge 2 mm. I'll be trying out how the thickness and pointy-ness change things, and also the rigidity of acrylic itself .

Tomorrow though. Tonight is beer and curry!

Cheers[​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 21, 2017
  2. Robstafarian

Robstafarian The Good and Wise Call Me “Rufustarian” Staff Member

Nice!

Davedave likes this.
  3. Neilybob100

Neilybob100 Active Member

Happy birthday

I'm also hoping and dropping MASSIVE hints to my wife for a selection of these.

Let me know what you think?

Sent from my EVA-L09 using Tapatalk

Davedave likes this.
  4. Davedave

Davedave Active Member

Cheers!

Will do! :-D

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

Neilybob100 and Robstafarian like this.
  5. craig

craig Well-Known Member

Happy Birthday Dude, hope you had a great day :)

Davedave likes this.
  6. Rick

Rick R'n'f'R

Happy pick day! I still need to try me some of those.
    I laughed right there. Either you're a king or despot (We, the king of XY-Land consider this and that) or you're looking for justification to buying gear. Never look for justification, right? :p

Davedave likes this.
  7. Davedave

Davedave Active Member

LOL, well yeah. Technically my wife got them from my gear wish list. She stuck them inside a card from my son

I'll try and review them in a bit. For now I'll say that, during five minutes playing unplugged before I headed to work this morning, the RC signature felt great, love the sound of the attack with the unpolished, ground edge - can't wait to plug it in. The others feel slightly big for me but I'll persevere. The Axis might be my least favourite - it's so rounded that I struggled to get any purchase on the strings unless I hit them flat on. Will update soon.

Robstafarian and Rick like this.
  8. DrHankWanfordSnr

DrHankWanfordSnr That's not new, its always been there.

Happy curry and beer day.

Davedave likes this.
  9. SemiCullen

SemiCullen Member

Happy birthday!

I'm going through a bit of a plexperiment myself. I play the triangle picks with the slightly rounded corners -- mainly the Clayton Ravens -- but ordered some laminate wood picks on a whim. They were OK but felt like I was using a piece of wall board. I wound up ordering some Timber Tones solid wood picks and one made of bone one from horn. After about a month of using the different ones, my favorite is the bone pick. It's like 3.5mm thick, so it's real substantial to hold onto, but the edges are chamfered down to a nice playing edge.

Davedave likes this.
  10. Wade Garrett

Wade Garrett I am the projectionist.

I do like those Chapman plecs but they get expensive when you keep dropping them at dark gigs!

Davedave likes this.
  11. Davedave

Davedave Active Member

I've had a bit of a play around with these now and, to be honest, my first impressions were pretty much right. The photo below shows the Gravity picks alongside fairly standard Pure Tone and Dunlop picks you'd see in the pick-n-mix in guitar shops. As you can see the Gravity Axis is huge and the Edge is nearly as big. Too big for me, really. I should say they match the online descriptions perfectly, so this isn't a complaint.

The RC Signature and Axis have unpolished playing edge and the Edge's edge is polished. The RC Signature and Edge are 2 mm thick and the Axis is 1.5 mm. I'm used to < 1 mm thick picks and not used to acrylic, so they all feel thick, really. None of them flex, which I'm beginning to like, just need to loosen my grip.

Playing wise, I doubt I'll ever use the Axis. I can't think of a style that would benefit from it. The rounded edge slides over the top of the strings and didn't really fit between them with any decent angle, so you can't strum a chord well and lead is a non-starter. Maybe others would like this, but I'm not the kind of player that can use something as round as that. Maybe Brian May with his shilling...
    With the Edge I think I'll play around with a few clean tones - the point is very sharp and the attack is smooth with the polished edge. It's more like glass than plastic.
    Then there's the RC Signature... Trying not to sound like a fan boy here. It's brilliant. The attack is on the edge of sounding rough, gnarly even! but you can be precise with it. I played today with it through my Boss BD-2 and loved it. I'm still getting used to the thickness, but happy otherwise.

Pricy, mind, all at £4 each. Worth not losing...

Cheers
    [​IMG]

Robstafarian and everfreetree like this.