NGD

Wade Garrett

I am the projectionist.
This was sat on eBay at £160 for a while and I had it in my watch list. The seller offered me a deal for £120 and I countered with £100 and they accepted. Sweeeet!

IMG_20200820_184855892_HDR.jpg
IMG_20200820_184907285_HDR.jpg
IMG_20200820_184913068_HDR.jpg

IMG_20200820_184934451_HDR.jpg
IMG_20200820_184939950_HDR.jpg
IMG_20200820_184929421_HDR.jpg

The neck angle looks kind severe on it so I'm going to see if I can get enough parts out of my drawer just to string it up and see what's what.

IMG_20200820_185034456_HDR.jpg
IMG_20200820_185028169_HDR.jpg

I'm digging the mojo though! :D

Last edited:

everfreetree

I... I like trees.
You can definitely shim that neck to help the angle... that's slightly terrifying, heh.
Looks like a "relic" and a half, though. Geez.
Grats on the lump of angry-looking wood, that will hopefully soon be a guitar! :p

Magnus Pym

Grudges rot the soul
Nice, 'Mrs Greys Guitars' doesn't through up very much on Google, just a Reverb shop in 'Newtown UK' which could be many places. Looks like a nice inlay or transfer though. Somebody went to some trouble for it.

DrHankWanfordSnr

That's not new, its always been there.
I managed to find parts to string it up. A mish mash of black, gold and black chrome!

View attachment 39665
View attachment 39666

Well there's definitely enough room for a dog ear P90! I still reckon that neck angle is a bit much but it plays. The neck is huuuuuge, properly fat which isn't my thing but let's see if I can get used to it.
That's fixable. Shim/wedge and sorted.

Wade Garrett

I am the projectionist.
I decided to see if I could fit a humbucker at the bridge today just to see if that neck angle is way out and it turns out it's actually ok. I had been feeling a bit dismayed but this has me feeling better so I'm going to order what I need tomorrow to put this guitar together properly.

I'm going to put an Iron Gear Dirty Torque in there, it's going to need a bit of fettling to fit but not too much. Chrome hardware I think, no neck pickup, I thought about making another scratchplate for it but the tortoise shell plastic on eBay looks shit.

The neck is so HUUUUUGE on the guitar, I have no idea if I can get used to it but I'm going to find out.

everfreetree

I... I like trees.
I decided to see if I could fit a humbucker at the bridge today just to see if that neck angle is way out and it turns out it's actually ok. I had been feeling a bit dismayed but this has me feeling better so I'm going to order what I need tomorrow to put this guitar together properly.

I'm going to put an Iron Gear Dirty Torque in there, it's going to need a bit of fettling to fit but not too much. Chrome hardware I think, no neck pickup, I thought about making another scratchplate for it but the tortoise shell plastic on eBay looks shit.

The neck is so HUUUUUGE on the guitar, I have no idea if I can get used to it but I'm going to find out.
With the amount of "relic" on that thing, I would almost recommend just taking some really rough sandpaper in your hand and sanding down the neck to a shape your hand feels comfortable with. Keep the project going, heh.
I don't know how dense the wood might be, though. Appears to be Mahogany, at least, so it could be a pain to sand forever.

Wade Garrett

I am the projectionist.
Happy days! It turns out the rout is actually big enough for a humbucker. The question is direct mount or ring? I'm thinking of getting the Dirty Torque I mentioned in the zebra option.

IMG_20200903_030011111_HDR.jpg
IMG_20200903_031007191_HDR.jpg

Wade Garrett

I am the projectionist.
I feel like the pickup ring kinda... "cleans it up" a bit, but I suppose the question turns into, do you WANT it to look more "cleaned up"?
Or do you want something that still holds that "Ah, screw it!" appeal, like my Frankenstrat, heh.

At the moment I am leaning towards direct mount, I think it suits the vibe better. I'd considered sticking in a single coil as well but I think I might just paint the cavity black.