NGD

Lonestar

SC Relics Guitars
Many many years ago when I was 15, my mum bought me a guitar for Christmas... 1998 if my maths is correct. Now, after flicking through the Argos catalogue I spied the musical instrument pages. I quickly located the guitar and amp set (sunburst strat with a practice amp) and said that was what I needed to get me into Oasis. Funny the things that drives us to want to be musicians

So, Christmas Day arrives and I finally get my guitar. To my utter dismay I open the box to find a black hohner strat.... BLACK?! The picture was sunburst. I said nothing and proceeded to strum the guitar aimlessly in the hope that I’d stumble upon a tune (yeah... sure). Later on that day, I checked the now dog eared musical instrument pages to find the sodding thumbnail picture of a black strat next to the sunburst one. I asked my mum about it, apparently the sunburst was sold out. Absolutely gutted.

It seems that my disdain for black guitars and my love for sunbursts happened at that very moment. But that’s guitarists for you... always want what we don’t have ;)

Due to me tone chasing for years... oasis (epiphone Sheraton’s), stereophonics and AC/DC (SGs)... the list goes on and there very few strats in sight (apart from a Tokai springysound in oly white... for about 1 week and a burst for a month or so a few years back). Then came the blue strat I built out of haste. I pretty much fell in love with the sound straight away.

That leads me to the point of all this. A few months back I decided to rip apart my blue strat and work on the neck a little more. At the same time I had just about finished a sunburst body.... I got thinking. A plan was hatched pretty quickly and once the Radioshop 63 set was sorted the rest fell into place nicely.

Some details to note.... “clay dots” and mini skirt knobs add to the early 60s vibe along with a 62 spec scratchplate. This guitar is everything I wanted in a strat.

At least I can say that 20 years later it was worth the wait

A23E80F4-BCC2-4F30-A4B9-09C6C6F6B168.jpeg DF6111E0-4D6F-47E4-A554-DE02E42669A5.jpeg 0297FA80-ED2E-4DCF-B050-B28715B8D762.jpeg A4D5CB96-671A-4DA7-954A-31814CAB9991.jpeg ED517DB5-F5B3-411F-B15C-41E320328AB9.jpeg 22B20018-F916-4B8A-8591-7F182E9B4505.jpeg

Last edited:

Tankman

Subtly not giving a F*ck
Awesome! Now I miss my Strat. It's been living in the recording studio since April and I haven't been there since...

Wuzza

long time lurker
I started to write this as a PM, but thought feck it, I'll stick it up here.
First off, it's amazing how far you've come over the last few years, it doesn't seem like yesterday when you were whinging about the retail work. :) (been there, got the T :)).
You've got your "Emporium" thread, but do you have any sort of blog anywhere? I cant be the only one that would love to hear some of your ideas/thoughts on more of the business side of things. Problems/issues, mountains you've had to climb, and particularly expansion/future plans. I'm sure there's more than plenty to keep you occupied atm. One of the best threads I've read on here was Peachys (forget his exact name) blog of his experiences with session work in NY. Something similar would be pretty awesome.

Last edited:

mirage2101

I started to write this as a PM, but thought feck it, I'll stick it up here.
First off, it's amazing how far you've come over the last few years, it doesn't seem like yesterday when you were whinging about the retail work. :) (been there, got the T :)).
You've got your "Emporium" thread, but do you have any sort of blog anywhere? I cant be the only one that would love to hear some of your ideas/thoughts on more of the business side of things. Problems/issues, mountains you've had to climb, and particularly expansion/future plans. I'm sure there's more than plenty to keep you occupied atm. One of the best threads I've read on here was Peachys (forget his exact name) blog of his experiences with session work in NY. Something similar would be pretty awesome.
Do you remember what that thread was called? I’d love to read that

Lonestar

SC Relics Guitars
Thank you very much all. I must admit to having issues uploading pics to the forum which is why I don’t bother much with my own progress thread.

Yes @Wuzza this is a keeper and it always will be. Thank you for your kind words as well. The business has grown and is constantly evolving and expanding. We are handling more work now than ever before and I don’t see it slowing down.

I’m working a 70 + hour tbh. That means that if Im not working on guitars, I’m spending time with my family. While I’d like to document the ups, downs, trials and tribulations of life in the guitar business I can’t justify typing up an online account of my daily or weekly doings. Maybe if more time freed up I could. But for now it’ll have to be Instagram, Facebook and website updates.