bad alice

Easily distracted and...OHLOOKAGUITAR!!!
*the end of the night in a nearly empty and poorly lit dingy down town bar*
Friends eh?
Friends.
Pfffffft...
I have stories about friends....
*taps virtual bar stool*
Come take a seat and let me tell you about friends.
*summons virtual bar keep and orders virtual bottle of cheap whiskey and pours two virtual glasses before virtually knocking one back and grimacing slightly*
Here’s a question for you, stranger
When a friend lends you a guitar for a bit and then you have to give it back and then he offers to sell it to you for a stupidly good price...
*swallows down another slug of virtual whiskey*
Is that a friend?
Huh?
Huh, stranger?
*sighs and slumps on the bar*
Or is he...
*lip trembles slightly*
YOUR GAS DEALER?!!:eek::eek:
:cold:
:cold::cold:

:dance:

I’m very, VERY happy with this! It’s the Revstar RS820CR Rusty Rat that my gear bud Stuart decided to part with - he had a Nick Huber Krauster II to pay for and as above, though in slightly less melodramatic fashion:D, he not only offered it to me for a great price but also kept it on hold for me until my blue SG sold. Y’see, I’ve been having dirty Les Paul GAS of late. The problem being that I don’t really *get on* with the Les Paul shape. Don’t get me wrong; they look cooler than a polar bear eating a Cornetto inside a freezer in the middle of the Arctic but the single cut shape and my teeny fingers make accessing anything above the 15th fret pretty much impossible, particularly God forbid, if you’re playing standing up! And let’s not forget that the Law Of the LP (as dictated by Lords Page, Slash and Rhoads) means that if you wear it on a strap that doesn’t at MINIMUM allow the body of the guitar to cover your groin - anything higher that being VERBOTEN in the world of RAWK - then you’re not cool. And quite possibly never will be. Ever. Everrrrr. Again. Which makes that reaching-the-high -notes problem even more impossible for me. Harrumph.
Happily, this lovely axe IS very cool. And the double cut means getting my widdle on up the dusty end is as easy as pie. Even when it’s slung low. Plus, as another friend - the eminent @DrHankWanfordSnr - eloquently put, is an LP in all but name and uncomfortable shape. WIN.
More pics...

I wrote a rather glowing review of this guitar back when it was on loan to me, so if any of you want to revisit that here it is
Hand on heart, I’ve been incredibly impressed by pretty much everything about this guitar.
The build quality is ridiculously good - I’m sure you’ve all heard that said in many places about these guitars - but to actually play something at this price point that genuinely feels like a much more expensive guitar is a genuine delight.
There’s something reassuringly *heavy* and *solid* about the hardware too plus the satin finish on the Tonepro bridge (which btw is one of the COOLEST bridges I’ve seen up close). The tuners are smooth and not locking but again have just that right amount of heaviness and stiffness that let you know they’ve got your back. 100%. And I like that a lot. I usually switch non locking tuners for locking as standard on most of my guitars. But sometimes, the non locking tuners are of a standard that that switch isn’t required. This Revstar’s tuners definitely fall into that category.
The frets are beautifully finished, the edges smooth and just they’re right height for fast playing.
The finish? The finish is as cool as fuck. Oh yes. I’d never have thought a grey guitar would work but dammit, this REALLY does. Maybe it’s the copper pickguard or the understated teensy-bit-shinier (neat how they’ve done them like that, another colour wouldn’t have been as cool) double stripe detail or that the lush rosewood fretboard gives a warmth to the whole guitar but damn, it’s a VERY well thought out blend of colours and textures. Kudos Yamaha. Nicely played.
The only concern I had when Stuart dropped this round was the 13.75” raduis. I’ve struggled with similar radii before and expected trouble. But maybe it’s because I’ve been trying to relax my grip #matron:D a bit of late or maybe it has fuck all to do with that, tbh who knows? The profile is C shaped so again, maybe the fuller profile helps my hand sit more comfortably for my fingers to fret more easily than on other >12” radii? Regardless, that’s for me to mull over; my main point being that this is a very comfortable and easy neck to play. WIN.
So, how does it sound? Great. Really great. I think the humbuckers on the RS820CR are AlnicoV butthey’re not crazy hot; I’d say more *vintage warm*. And that’s a very good thing if rock, blues, jazz, country and...well, anything other than balls to the wall RAGING metal is your thing. The humbuckers deliver both clear, warm cleans and enough filth to take your head off if you should happen to step on any rowdy gain or fuzz pedal of your choosing. I’ve done plenty of this over the last few days and the variety of tones on tap is extremely pleasing. Again, the volume knob has a heaviness and gorgeous responsiveness to it that I’d usually only expect on a guitar in a MUCH higher price bracket. As a result I’ve been rolling it back and then cranking it up much more than I usually do when I play. It’s in juuust the right position to do that too. Volume swells? I should ABSOLUTELY think so!
The tone knob is a push/pull that when pulled up engages the “dry-switch” possibly called that because “low-cut” is so INCREDIBLY difficult for guitarists to understand??? Uh...? Answers on a postacard to Yamaha folks... Anyway, name bitching aside, it’s FAB. It take away just enough of the low end and does a bit of EQ reshaping jiggery-pokery to make the humbuckers sound a lot more like P90s (but without the hum). And the really COOL part is that there’s no (perceivable) volume loss either. So if cutting through the mix is important to you or you just like your cleans a little sparklier then this delivers in spades.
What else? The nut is spot on - no pinging noises here - and it stays solidly in tune; although tbf I’ve only been playing it in E Standard so I have no idea how it’d handle anything lower. The jack socket is solid and there’s a lovely soft click when you plug in. Oh, the matching satin (thick!) metal jack plate is a nice touch too.
My only gripe is a personal preference thing; I’m not a fan of glossy necks. That would be easily remedied by some Scotchbrite but, as Stuart is coming by to take this beauty (the guitar. Not me.;)) back to its home tomorrow that isn’t something I will be doing!
TL;DR These are superb guitars of a standard not often seen in this price range. Go grab one if you can!
:)
Now...I guess I need to find a name for this bad boy?
Oh, AND fuck up my sig again...
:)

Last edited:

Tankman

Subtly not giving a F*ck
I never liked Yamaha as a brand, but I am quite impressed with the Revstars. Goog looking guitars! Nice one!

Verstuurd vanaf mijn SM-G950F met Tapatalk

Chu

Oooooh. Everything on it looks just right, each element, bit of hardware and feature looks great but the whole isn't quite resonating with me right now. But..... I think it could be a grower. And yes, in the time it's taken me to type this, I've grown more interested. Just for my taste, it's definitely more my bag than the SG.

Alan O'hagan

You did it - awesome!

I’ve been gassing for one of these since day one and Mr Paul Hindmarsh hasn’t helped one bit with all them cool tones coming from his Helix/ Revstar combo - the bastard :D

Hope you absolutely love it @bad alice thats one cool axe

A-D-L

Northern Monkey
Oohhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh very nice. Been looking at these for aaaaaages. Really want to get one. Don't have a green or blue guitar yet.

Played one ages ago and have yet to get another chance.

HNGD