NGD: Stoney creek custom made

mirage2101

So I got home about an hour ago and I'm just now coming up for air after playing it.
First impressions are great. I grabbed a clean version of the mesa mark V profile I use a lot because the tweaks for my fender kinda screwed up things and the profile was just spot on. I'm really enjoying the guitar. The P90 is nice and bright, the humbucker has warmth and punch. Depending on the song one or the other is great for rhythm with the other providing punch or highs to break through for the solo.

The neck is very comfortable I'm right at home with it because it's so close to the strat. The high notes are easy to reach without acrobatics or hand stretching. The armrest and belly cut really make it a step more comfortable then a traditional LP body.
So I'll be playing it a lot this weekend and making it "mine". it feels a bit strange here and there but that's nothing that won't go away. I could've grabbed this guitar of a rack and taken it home. That's how good it is.

Small surprises..
It was supposed to have locking tuners but he forgot about it. So in a couple of weeks he'll switch them.
The guitar is a bit heavier then I expected. Nothing to worry about, I just didn't expect it.

pictures!! (Sorry, the light is kinda harsh and I don't have a nice backdrop at hand in the man cave)
IMG_1440.jpg
IMG_1441.jpg
IMG_1442.jpg
IMG_1443.jpg
IMG_1444.jpg

Tankman

Subtly not giving a F*ck
Cool! Frank usually forgets some detail on my guitars as well, but it's never anything major. This one turned out really good! I like the heel as well. That logo is also done nicely.

mirage2101

So after playing over the weekend I'm pretty happy with must things.

The one thing I'm running into is that the output difference of the P90 and humbucker is huge. Now for driven amp sounds that's all fine. The amp compression works it out. For clean I'm not sure yet. I'm inclined to say the P90 could use a bit more volume. Both pickups have their nice qualities but switching between them in one song to get more bite or warmth becomes a chore like this.

What do you guys think, is this a setup thing? Or is it something I should learn to work with?

Tankman

Subtly not giving a F*ck
So after playing over the weekend I'm pretty happy with must things.

The one thing I'm running into is that the output difference of the P90 and humbucker is huge. Now for driven amp sounds that's all fine. The amp compression works it out. For clean I'm not sure yet. I'm inclined to say the P90 could use a bit more volume. Both pickups have their nice qualities but switching between them in one song to get more bite or warmth becomes a chore like this.

What do you guys think, is this a setup thing? Or is it something I should learn to work with?
I can't tell precisely from the pictures, but it seems the humbucker is really close to the strings and the P90 a bit further. You can try lowering the humbucker a bit and raising the P90 a bit as well and find the balance.

mirage2101

I can't tell precisely from the pictures, but it seems the humbucker is really close to the strings and the P90 a bit further. You can try lowering the humbucker a bit and raising the P90 a bit as well and find the balance.
I can't make a clear picture of it. But the humbucker is slanted and the top end is closer to the strings then the P90. The bottom is about the same distance. I'm gonna see if it's easy to do and otherwise I'll just wait until Frank replaces the tuners and have him do it. I would expect matching pickup volumes would be the default.
If I'd have to write a review about Frank I think he's a bit too relaxed with details like this. The other side of that is that he says "don't pay the last part until you're comletely happy". So I'm confident it'll turn out right.

Tankman

Subtly not giving a F*ck
I can't make a clear picture of it. But the humbucker is slanted and the top end is closer to the strings then the P90. The bottom is about the same distance. I'm gonna see if it's easy to do and otherwise I'll just wait until Frank replaces the tuners and have him do it. I would expect matching pickup volumes would be the default.
If I'd have to write a review about Frank I think he's a bit too relaxed with details like this. The other side of that is that he says "don't pay the last part until you're comletely happy". So I'm confident it'll turn out right.
Sounds about right. But it always turns out good in the end.

mirage2101

@mirage2101

if you still have problems with the P90, you should be able to adjust the polepiece screws - if you need more output, you can raise them a couple or 3 mm closer to the strings
I think I have it now. I might actually move them a bit away again and the humbucker away too because the P90s are quite boomy now. The humbucker at the bridge has more high.

mirage2101

So, a few days on, how are you and your guitar doing?
Pretty good! I have to admit I haven't played a whole lot, we've had a crappy two weeks here.
I've been getting used to the guitar sound wise and I've been tweaking and tuning a bit more. The P90 is nice and full, the humbucker is aggresive and has more high being on the bridge so I dialed it a little bit down.
I'm very happy to see that it's got it's own character and both guitars have their own songs and genres where they shine.

Next step will be to try some more amps and see how that works out. I've only been playing the mark V profile I really like with my strat.

Pretty good! I have to admit I haven't played a whole lot, we've had a crappy two weeks here.
I've been getting used to the guitar sound wise and I've been tweaking and tuning a bit more. The P90 is nice and full, the humbucker is aggresive and has more high being on the bridge so I dialed it a little bit down.
I'm very happy to see that it's got it's own character and both guitars have their own songs and genres where they shine.

Next step will be to try some more amps and see how that works out. I've only been playing the mark V profile I really like with my strat.
That's why, when I swapped pickups in the Squang, I put a P90 in the bridge and a bucker in the neck. Not a fan of playing on HBs for the most part, but this was a weird Chinese filtertron-ish kinda thing, so it works for me well enough, and I have it set pretty low. Plus, I can't find a damn replacement pickguard for Mustangs with single coil openings (without the multiple switch cutouts) for under $40, and I'm not willing to pony up that much. :D :p

That's why, when I swapped pickups in the Squang, I put a P90 in the bridge and a bucker in the neck. Not a fan of playing on HBs for the most part, but this was a weird Chinese filtertron-ish kinda thing, so it works for me well enough, and I have it set pretty low. Plus, I can't find a damn replacement pickguard for Mustangs with single coil openings (without the multiple switch cutouts) for under $40, and I'm not willing to pony up that much. :D:p
Well I'm starting to get the hang of it.
The P90 does better in clean and crunch settings or at nice pink floyd like solos. But it gets muddy in high gain punk and metal stuff.
The humbucker keeps more definition in those situations but with the amp setup on the darkness of the P90 is has harsh highs. So with the tone dialed down on the guitar to about 4 it all settles in pretty well.
Just smash a boost for solo's and life is good. I'm starting to get why people go for this config.

I just had a great couple of hours playing a lonestar amp profile inspired by the one Lonestar put up for sale.