NGD Pt1: Strengthening and consolidating...

bad alice

Easily distracted and...OHLOOKAGUITAR!!!
NGD...Part ONE.
Two out, two in.
“Why?” should be the question on your lips as the two guitars, Wade and Dusk, that have left (Dusk will be gone on Sat) are outstanding guitars that I’ve waxed lyrical about on here paaaah-lenty.
Turns out that just because a guitar is loved, it doesn’t mean it gets played.
And you all know me well enough by now to know I enjoy buying/selling and trading too much for my guitar collection to stay static for too long.
This time round though my thinking was slightly different.
I’ve become increasingly aware of the absence of a decent acoustic/electro acoustic in my array of axes. I’m not looking for anything top end but definitely something more responsive and fun to play than my current battered-with-a-hole-sawn-in-the-side-by-a-mate-to-fit-a-£10-preamp dreadnought acoustic.
But more on that in part 2:)
I have a friend who owns a MIGHTY array of splendid guitars and there’s one that he loaned me that, entirely unexpectedly, took the back of my head off. In a GOOD way. And being able to a/b it with both Wade and Dusk made the decision a simple one.
I asked the question, he said yes, a price was agreed and then we drank some coffee - Hburgh is a civilised place.
So gentlemen, here’s the guitar that, as of this evening, is hanging on my wall in the sitting room...
C80B609E-B16C-4FD8-808C-198A2EA5B371.jpeg
This is Samson. He’s a delightful 2003 Gibson SG Standard with some sweet upgrades; he has a Faber ABR-1 bridge and matching lightweight aluminium tailpiece, some forever cool knob pointers and golly, his control cavity is little slice of 1959 heaven from Doyle’s Coils https://www.tru-clones.com/product-...ategoryId=00000000-000000-000000-000000000001

3518745C-A7E8-4C57-9D02-305AD40D59B8.jpeg
I’ve tried this guitar at Stuart’s before when it had a sent of MUCHO expensive Monty’s PAFs in it and honestly? Nope...too *honky* sounding but slap-me-sideways-and-call-me-Gwendoline (I dare you;)), when he had the original Gibson ‘57 Classics reinstalled GOOD-GOD-GODDAMN! Instant tone machine.
One of the big ticks in the awesome box for this particular SG is that it balances perfectly on a strap. No neck dive whatsoever. Plus it’s lighter than either Wade or Dusk were and guys, I have to say, my back is pretty pleased at that.
So.
Let’s get down to it shall we. We’re all friends here and I’m in a *safe space* right?
Right then.
Here it is.
<big deep breath>
There is something about looking down at my left hand playing a bound neck with trapezoid inlays that DOES THINGS somewhere deep down in the baser parts of my brain.
There.
I said it.
Both Wade and Dusk had dot inlays juuuust like my Strats. So visually, there wasn’t much difference in terms of cues to inspire.
This though? Boooyah! Suddenly, the heavy gain, fuzzed soaked rock and blues riffs are pouring out and the dirty, nasty parts of those blues scales are fully engaged.
In short, I’m very happy.
:)

And I have no *plans* to mod this guitar right now.
There is a plan but it requires a considerable investment so I need to be sure this one will be sticking around before that’s even considered.
International Woman of Mystery and Intrigue out.

Juicy thumbnails ahoy:
90987D54-6392-4AED-8B90-1944D006EDDF.jpeg 9E8D9BF8-617B-4857-BB99-88A4504330F4.jpeg 9E8D9BF8-617B-4857-BB99-88A4504330F4.jpeg 6ECE855D-0984-4F42-9453-3E957A488C3F.jpeg 9E8D9BF8-617B-4857-BB99-88A4504330F4.jpeg

Attachments

Last edited:

Sustainerplayer

On the edge of breakup
Congrats. Classic as (Highway to) hell ... personally I think it is the ugliest standard guitar design around.

But I know they play like a well known dairy product and the SG is just the plank of rawk.

And I don't believe your no-mod-yet ... I know who you are! ;)

bad alice

Congrats. Classic as (Highway to) hell ... personally I think it is the ugliest standard guitar design around.

But I know they play like a well known dairy product and the SG is just the plank of rawk.

And I don't believe your no-mod-yet ... I know who you are! ;)
*rubs chin*
Dare I say I don’t like AC/DC?
Fhhk it; I DON’T LIKE AC/DC:)
Happily, Derek Trucks and Gary Clarke Jr also sport SGs
And yes, between us, I’d prefer this guitar to look a little different
But patience padawan...
;)

EDIT: btw Strap locks have been added! I’ve heard of waaaaaaay to many sorry tales about snapped headstocks when straps unexpectedly come flying off the neck strap button not to...
:cold:

beans & rice

Looks like a serious beast. In a good way.
That control cavity is perfectly filled. :D
I love SGs, but I've never played one that made me want to have it...or have to want it. Either way. If I ever do end up with one, it's got to be yellow.

Baggy

OHH Yesss!! I like that!!!
Gibson 57's are absolutely awesome pickups, probably my fav humbucker, cheeky question? any chance of a video to display the TONEZ!!! :) would really like to hear them :dance:

bad alice

OHH Yesss!! I like that!!!
Gibson 57's are absolutely awesome pickups, probably my fav humbucker, cheeky question? any chance of a video to display the TONEZ!!! :) would really like to hear them :dance:
I’ll see if I can find time to do a wee demo this weekend...

bad alice

Good score. What type of band are you playing in?
It’s a 3 piece blues/funk/rock band called Filthy Frock
Filthy F(unk)Rock - see what we did th...*finger guns*;)
A bit of mix of Chili Peppers, Zep, Pearl Jam, Lenny Kravitz type influences.
Lots of fun anyway!
Here’s a shit iPhone recording of us jamming out a tune, “Freaky Weirdo”, in rehearsal for your listening...pleasure(?)
https://soundcloud.com/bad-alice%2Ffreaky-weirdo-ruff :)

Tankman

It’s a 3 piece blues/funk/rock band called Filthy Frock
Filthy F(unk)Rock - see what we did th...*finger guns*;)
A bit of mix of Chili Peppers, Zep, Pearl Jam, Lenny Kravitz type influences.
Lots of fun anyway!
Here’s a shit iPhone recording of us jamming out a tune, “Freaky Weirdo”, in rehearsal for your listening...pleasure(?)
https://soundcloud.com/bad-alice%2Ffreaky-weirdo-ruff :)
That actually sounds like a lot of fun. I think you've heard my band's single before, so you know what I do. We've been trying to incorporate something funky into one of our songs as well. Unfortunately, our bassplayer has no funk in him...at all. Stiff as a board.

Chu

That actually sounds like a lot of fun. I think you've heard my band's single before, so you know what I do. We've been trying to incorporate something funky into one of our songs as well. Unfortunately, our bassplayer has no funk in him...at all. Stiff as a board.
A bass player with no funk?? WTF? I've known guitarists in thrash metal bands take up bass and transform into Bootsie Collins overnight. All bass players like funk. Bass is funk. Weird.

Tankman

A bass player with no funk?? WTF? I've known guitarists in thrash metal bands take up bass and transform into Bootsie Collins overnight. All bass players like funk. Bass is funk. Weird.
My bassplayer is weird. For the first few months of this band all he did was two fingered tremolo picking for everything we wrote because he was stuck in his metal ways. I'm relieved that now at least he knows that sometimes less notes is better.

Strigidae

I like owls.
Awesome! Love the classic red/black SG, g.a.s. for one everytime I see it even though I can't get along with the thin body comfort-wise. The SG Standard feels like one of those guitars that you have a bunch of guitars leading up to but once you have one it feels just right. :D Stunning guitar, HNGD! :bounce: