NGD: P90s

SemiCullen

Still haven't got the hang of Thursdays
Been wanting a guitar with P90s for a while and didn't want to spend a lot of money on it; this checks all those boxes:

Telecaster.jpg

2003 Squier Telecaster Custom with Duncan Designed P90s. It plays fantastically well and has a great sound. It's also my first telecaster, so I'm looking forward to getting better acquainted with it.

Neilybob100

Congratulations! And welcome to the P90 Tele club.

I did the same earlier this year and got my first Tele and first P90 guitar all in one. Just love the fat sound!!! It's a rock machine

Sent from my CLT-L29 using Tapatalk

SemiCullen

I generally can't leave a guitar alone -- in that I need to makes some upgrades so that I feel it's really *mine*. So I have some questions of you guys who are more Fender friendly than I have been:

1. What do you think is the most bang-for-buck upgrade for a Squier? I'm thinking about replacing the electronics, but so far everything seems good. The switch feels very nice and there are no problem with the pots. However quality components are quality components and whatnot.

2. I don't have a lot of experience with P90s so I'm not sure about these Duncan Designed pickups. That is, I know they're foriegn made to Duncan specs, so I'm sure they're fine and they sound alright, but I wonder how substantial an upgrade would be (say, to Duncan Antiquities or similar)?

3. The saddle height adjustment screws seem unnecessarily long and they dig into my palm. Would it be easier to source shorter screws or to cut these down? What are your thoughts on the Graph Tech replacement saddles?

The one thing I know I'll be doing for sure is replacing the tuners. Not that there's anything wrong with these, but I prefer locking tuners.

Thanks all.

Chu

1. After I put in a No Load pot into my PRS SE, I didn't like how if felt in comparison to the other three pots; the friction/resistance difference was enormous. To make the most of the splitable humbucker, I ordered a matching push/pull pot and two standard pots and they all match well. But I really don't find there's any difference at all even though the brand is definitely an 'upgrade'. I did replace the three way toggle because the original was temperamental and happy with the result.

2. I've got a pair of Korean made P90s that sound just as good as a handmade British P90 that I've got. I've also got a pair of humbuckers from the same Korean manufacturer which sound awful. I'm very very much of the opinion that replacements are only an upgrade if the model you choose is exactly what you're after.

3. Yes, you can cut the screws down but you'll need to chamfer them otherwise they won't screw in without stripping out the bridge threads. I'd suggest buying some shorter ones, do you have micrometer or similar to measure them? Most non-USA guitars use metric fittings so I'd guess them to be either M2, M2.5 or M3 screws. I reworked the bridge on a friend's bass and just got some off EBay.

SemiCullen

1. After I put in a No Load pot into my PRS SE, I didn't like how if felt in comparison to the other three pots; the friction/resistance difference was enormous. To make the most of the splitable humbucker, I ordered a matching push/pull pot and two standard pots and they all match well. But I really don't find there's any difference at all even though the brand is definitely an 'upgrade'. I did replace the three way toggle because the original was temperamental and happy with the result.

2. I've got a pair of Korean made P90s that sound just as good as a handmade British P90 that I've got. I've also got a pair of humbuckers from the same Korean manufacturer which sound awful. I'm very very much of the opinion that replacements are only an upgrade if the model you choose is exactly what you're after.

3. Yes, you can cut the screws down but you'll need to chamfer them otherwise they won't screw in without stripping out the bridge threads. I'd suggest buying some shorter ones, do you have micrometer or similar to measure them? Most non-USA guitars use metric fittings so I'd guess them to be either M2, M2.5 or M3 screws. I reworked the bridge on a friend's bass and just got some off EBay.
Thanks for the input, Chu. I think I'm going to leave the electronics alone unless I have a problem with them. So far everything's really good.

I also think the P90s sound fine. Unless I encounter something that really speaks to me, they'll stay, too.

I have a digital caliper I can measure the screws with, so I'll make sure to have measurements before getting a replacement.

Chu

Thanks for the input, Chu. I think I'm going to leave the electronics alone unless I have a problem with them. So far everything's really good.

I also think the P90s sound fine. Unless I encounter something that really speaks to me, they'll stay, too.

I have a digital caliper I can measure the screws with, so I'll make sure to have measurements before getting a replacement.
As for the caliper, that's perfect for the job.

I don't mean to poo-poo some lovely modification, there's nothing wrong with doing it and my post reads a little negatively I feel. Of my four electric guitars, one is almost factory standard, one has a replacement pickup out of 'necessity', one modded to shit for the hell of it and one modded to shit as I'd lost most of the components over the years.... It can be great fun and can make a guitar better if you choose wisely but I also think there's a time to just enjoy what you have.

SemiCullen

As for the caliper, that's perfect for the job.

I don't mean to poo-poo some lovely modification, there's nothing wrong with doing it and my post reads a little negatively I feel. Of my four electric guitars, one is almost factory standard, one has a replacement pickup out of 'necessity', one modded to shit for the hell of it and one modded to shit as I'd lost most of the components over the years.... It can be great fun and can make a guitar better if you choose wisely but I also think there's a time to just enjoy what you have.
Out of my eight current guitars, only two are stock. I've put in tuners, pickups, pots, switches, bridges and more for various reasons. Just with this one I only want to make the upgrades that are "necessary." I greatly prefer locking tuners, so that one's a definite.

Chu

Out of my eight current guitars, only two are stock. I've put in tuners, pickups, pots, switches, bridges and more for various reasons. Just with this one I only want to make the upgrades that are "necessary." I greatly prefer locking tuners, so that one's a definite.
Me too. I'd put them on my acoustic if I could be bothered!

I'm basically a massive hypocrite/recovering GAS addict. I keep my purchases in check by preaching to others about the pointlessness of modification. When I do it though, it's entirely necessary of course....

Last edited: