NGD! It’s beginning to feel a LOT like Xmas...

bad alice

Easily distracted and...OHLOOKAGUITAR!!!
I’ve always loved the look of Les Pauls.
I mean, c’mon, if you love rock music the chance is that you have at least one guitar hero who swaggers about spewing dirty riffs on a Gibson Les Paul, right? My particular hero in that category is Slash and as such the LP is very much tangled up in the mojo, vibe, emotion and let’s face it; goddamn cool that he and his playing exude.

I’ve owned LPs before. I’ve owned Vintage, RayGun, Epiphone and Gibson LPs before but...it turned out that I didn’t enjoy playing them nearly as much as I hoped. Which sucked. Bah.

Now, in my road to guitar wisdom (still not there yet btw!: I’ve owned and parted with many guitars and, in doing so, learned a few lessons over that time. More specifically, I’ve learned that while the shape and look of a guitar is important there are many other attributes that can have a massive impact in deciding whether you enjoy the experience of playing that particular model of guitar. So, in reflecting on the LPs I’ve owned previously and, crucially, what it was about them that was *lacking* I’ve been slowly working my way back round to owning a Les Paul that best fits MY needs by figuring out precisely what those *needs* are. More about those in a sec. The next sensible step was to buy an Epiphone LP that ticked all the boxes I wanted to play at home for a few months to see if a perfectly specced (to my needs) LP would be something I would pick up and play and again crucially, enjoy playing! The answer to that was a LOUD yes. Game on!

So, I guess you’re wondering what those magical specs are? It turns out I *need* the following to enjoy a LP:
1. Lightweight - the guitar has to be under 9lbs otherwise I struggle with it both standing up or sitting down, not to mention carrying it anywhere! Over that weight it feels uncomfortable and unwieldy. A big no.
2. Traditional colour. Because my brain says a Gibson Les Paul must be so.
3. Slim neck. Either 60s slim taper or asymmetric feels comfy.
4. Binding. There is something about looking down at a bound fretboard with trapezoid block inlays that just *does things* to my brain that other fretboards don’t. Am I shallow? Maybe. Is it a deal breaker? Definitely.
5. AlNiCo II humbuckers. Medium wind. Turns out that while I enjoy Alnico V mags in a single coil I’m much happier with a II where medium-to-low output LP humbuckers are concerned. Also, as I’m fortunate enough to own a few guitars I’m not looking for push/pull options. In my head a LP offers a 3 way toggle to switch between neck/middle/bridge. Simple.

There was another much less exciting factor to consider too; the budget Mitch and I agreed! So, back in August my search for an LP that would tick these - or as many of these as possible - boxes began and long story short, in September after a genuinely surprising haggle outcome #LowBallFTW I became the owner of this...
9C7A3577-F0C0-46B9-8169-AFFD0767C4FB.jpeg
D1A6AA39-672D-4CC3-B37D-561C12B997E2.jpeg
023958EF-6680-4F4D-BCAF-06C7478539B1.jpeg

0AA16079-CF0F-40CD-A928-3A75E4657777.jpeg

It’s a 2009 Gibson Les Paul Standard in perimeter Tea Burst...with some epic upgrades thrown in for good measure. Those upgrades being a set of Seymour Duncan zebra Slash sig humbuckers (Alnico II) and a 50s wiring harnesses complete with Bumble Bee caps.
D7527EFD-AEB8-4E68-ACAA-67ECA0255701.jpeg
It weighs just over 8lbs #chambered and has one of the loveliest dark rosewood fretboards I’ve seen. The 2009s are identical in specs to the 2008s so all the good stuff like the locking keystone tuners, enlarged neck tenon and the Tonepros locking bridge and stoptail are all there too. The only thing I’ll be changing is the Neutrik locking jack socket which will be replaced with a standard Switchcraft jack socket. The idea that my rig would be pulled over instead of my lead being pulled from the guitar is not something I find appealing!

As this is an Xmas present I’ve only had the chance to spend 5 mins checking all was fine when it arrived and then it was closed up in its case to be kept safe until Xmas. So there’s a large thank you winging its way to my local gear bud Stuart Russell for letting me store it at his house which, to be honest, was the only way to make the LP GAS of the last few months even remotely bearable! #OutOfSightOutOfMind

Merry Xmas?
OH, I THINK SO!
:)

bad alice

Thanks everyone andI hope you all had a fab Xmas Day too!
We had the family round at our for the Xmas food fest so I didn’t get to sit down and actually play this beast until much later in the evening.
So, BIG question, how does he play and sound? Well, that I wrote three new riffs in half an hour says it all tbh:)
Bit to get all up-close-and-gooey with adjectives I’d have to say it‘s a guitar that’s a joy to play, super comfy with a lovely low action.
Plus DAMN, this is an LP that absolutely REEKS of tone and inspiration.
Those Slash AlNiCo II sig pickups offer everything from (clean) clear airy bell tones right through to tight, nasty-in-a-GOOOOOD-way, throaty and searing lead tones.
In short, I’m veryveryVERY happy.
Here’s another pic (and a switch to reflector knobs from Santa too)
9CBC2AB9-5B0B-48BB-B6BF-A344F491D4EE.jpeg
Hmmmm...
He still needs a name though so any/all ideas on that would be welcome?

Sustainerplayer

On the edge of breakup
Wow. I don't know about you lot. But to me this is a real Christmas story.

No obese guys in red clothes, no green hairy grumpy guy on a mountain, no effin' elfs, reindeers or snowmen.

Just a mission that ends with a perfect guitar.

I want this turned into a movie - and I want more movies like this!

Congrats Suzy and HNC*GD!

*= well Christmas d'oh!

bad alice

Wow. I don't know about you lot. But to me this is a real Christmas story.

No obese guys in red clothes, no green hairy grumpy guy on a mountain, no effin' elfs, reindeers or snowmen.

Just a mission that ends with a perfect guitar.

I want this turned into a movie - and I want more movies like this!

Congrats Suzy and HNC*GD!

*= well Christmas d'oh!
Well SHUCKS:xmashat::oops:
:hug:
Thanks @Sustainerplayer
WAIT!
Maybe we could turn it into a massively successful Broadway musical AND THEN Hollywood could turn that into a multi million dollar film?
I mean c’mon.
HOW could it be weirder than “Cats”?

bad alice

everfreetree

I... I like trees.
I just realized I never actually said anything about this, so I believe it's time for me to stop by and say, "SCHWING~!"
But yes, it's quite lovely.
I do love me some perimeter bursts, AND some Gibson tea finishes... come to think of it, why doesn't Gibson make tea? A bit of Peter Green tea? Joe Perry Berry Blend? Blueberry Burst herbal? Earl Scruggs Grey? Angus Youthberry? Darjentling..? ... Alright, that's all I've got.

Fantastic guitar, by the way :D.
Congrats on the killer, Slashy, rock machine! (Missed the chance to call it "Les Saul" :eek:)