NGD for tomorrow - G ≠ guitar

No, it's been more than two years since I bought a guitar and that's not changing today. And the NGD will be tomorrow rather than today, because I'll be driving past Anderton's and stopping to collect my purchases. In fact, this is a two-part NGD!

Some of you may have seen my thread asking about electronic drums, and so the larger part of the G is a Roland TD-17KV electronic drumkit. I've been thinking about learning to play the drums for a while - I can already play a bit of guitar, bass, piano and sing, so playing drums would mean that I can make a whole band, if I can only clone myself a few times (happily for the world, this will probably not be feasible before my ashes are scattered in the local dump). Anyway, it seems like a fun way to continue my ongoing mid-life crisis, so I decided to take the plunge.

The second part of the NGD is comprised of a bass amp head and cab. Anderton's has just released a video of the bass amp part of the big Wharfedale clearance shipment, and since I've been meaning to buy a bass amp recently (as I had my first little jam/rehearsal playing bass a couple of weeks ago), I thought I'd take advantage of the offer. I didn't really fancy the Wharfedale amp or the Orange amp that they have on special offer with the cabs, but I ordered a 2x10 cab for £119 and a Fender Rumble V3 200 head to go with it. The head has all of the features that I want (except Bluetooth streaming but I can live without that), and the combination is a chunk cheaper than the Rumble 200 combo.

All of this will be collected tomorrow and rammed into my car, alongside my two dogs, two guitars and two suitcases (plus bits and pieces). I'm crossing my fingers that it's all going to fit somehow!

More info and possibly piccies over the weekend, after I've recovered from the long drive tomorrow!

No piccies yet, but I can report that everything has been duly collected! It was slightly larger than I'd expected, but I managed to squeeze everything into my car, although the dogs ended up on the front passenger seat next to me. The box for the bass cab practically filled my (estate) boot all on its own! I might actually jettison the box before I go back home, if I need extra space which is quite possible since I've had a bunch of things delivered to my Mum's house.

I also bought a piece of wood from Yandles that I have an interesting project in mind for, but that's another topic and not even guitar-related, so I might not document it here.

My stepmother piped up this evening unexpectedly and said that she had always wanted to learn the drums, so we might actually get them out and set them up here. That depends a bit on whether it looks like I'll be able to fit everything back in the boxes afterwards!

My Dad and I spent most of this morning setting up the drums...
Drums.jpg

I'm very impressed, it sounds great and I think there's lots of fun in store! The different kits really do sound quite different, and the module is very simple to use. I haven't yet done this, but apparently you can link a phone with Bluetooth and play music like that so that you can play along. I can see myself getting well into that! I'll try to find some kind of online course after I get home.

Wade Garrett

I am the projectionist.
My Dad and I spent most of this morning setting up the drums...
View attachment 35624

I'm very impressed, it sounds great and I think there's lots of fun in store! The different kits really do sound quite different, and the module is very simple to use. I haven't yet done this, but apparently you can link a phone with Bluetooth and play music like that so that you can play along. I can see myself getting well into that! I'll try to find some kind of online course after I get home.
Nice one, that looks excellent!

@ssinine

Professional noodler
Jeebus that looks like soooo much fun.

Edit: Do the cymbals respond to being struck at different spots like the bell / rim (I'm not sure on the nomenclature)?

I think they do, up to a point, but I don't think they are the ones with the most different sensors. This is supposed to be a good kit for the money, but you can still pay an awful lot more for the posh ones! It seems pretty easy to use the module, although I need to have a skim through the manual to understand the more advanced features.

Wade Garrett

I am the projectionist.
I think they do, up to a point, but I don't think they are the ones with the most different sensors. This is supposed to be a good kit for the money, but you can still pay an awful lot more for the posh ones! It seems pretty easy to use the module, although I need to have a skim through the manual to understand the more advanced features.
You're going to have great fun playing it.

Chu

Jeebus that looks like soooo much fun.

Edit: Do the cymbals respond to being struck at different spots like the bell / rim (I'm not sure on the nomenclature)?
I think they're dual zone cymbal pads, which respond to being struck on the edge like a crash or on the surface like a ride. But not on the bell which is available on 3 zone pads. I do believe they can be choked though.

I just got home from my Christmas trip to England to visit my parents, during which I picked up the gear mentioned above. I'm too tired this evening to set up the drums, but I have dug the Rumble 200 amp out of its box and was pleasantly surprised to find that it comes with a carry bag, much like a laptop bag. Since I'm going to be lugging it round to the occasional jam session, that's going to be really useful. Gold star to Fender for that!

Now I need to see how it sounds with the cheapo Wharfedale cab...