New Rig Day: Much delayed (for reasons of explosions)...

bad alice

Easily distracted and...OHLOOKAGUITAR!!!
This thread should’ve been launched in mid December but yeah...
There’s a tale to tell.
First of all the whys and wherefores of how this rig change came about.
I’m playing in a band and I need a rig that can handle the necessary NOIZE but sound badass at home too.
Also, I don’t drive so not NOT ONLY do I need a rig that can be loud and sounds awesome but that is super portable too.
The Helix arrived at mine a year ago and it’s proven itself to be as stupendous, reliable and easy to use as I could ever have hoped. Win.
Consider Box1 of the rig quest ticked.
Box2 was a custom made Hoffnine 1x12 cab loaded with a Celestine Creamback; for home use mainly.
And Box3? That’d be a Seymour Duncan Powerstage 170 - a super sweet, teeny tiny box of power amp goodness with it’s own EQ for extra shizzle - also the cause of the explosions but we’ll park that for now and get to DA PICS!
First up the Powerstage 170 with my phone beside it for scale...
871B00C1-4D65-41BB-BA09-CDA968BFB483.jpeg
Cute huh?
This puppy was designed with amp modelling doo dahs like the Helix in mind.
Speaking of...
FECA06D0-1011-498A-988D-3CFEA55F8499.jpeg
Okay, okay.
I’ll quit teasing
Time for the Big Kahuna pic of the whole shebang...
789BA2BF-A21D-40D7-8C0A-7B971AF4F4F6.jpeg
For life reasons I haven’t had the chance to spend too much time with all of this yet;
The cab and the Helix have been here for a while but the Powerstage only arrived yesterday.
Well, THIS Powerstage only arrived yesterday.
Another Powerstage arrived back in December but, as I discovered via a BIG BLUE FLASH, a bang and wisps of unhappy smoke, it was one that had been sent in error and should’ve been being plugged in somewhere in Muricaland where household current is much lower 120V than our rather fierce 230V here in the UK because yep, *EXPLOSIONS*
Turns out that Rossetti - Seymour Duncan’s UK distributors - had unwittingly imported a whole load of USA Powerstage 170s and sent them out to every Powerstage selling shop in the UK. Whoopsie. #awkward.:oops:
Anyway, it seems I was not the only person to get the fright of my life so the whole batch was recalled and then sent back to Rossetti who then had to return, reorder, resend and restock (lots of re’s) the UK with UK suited Powerstages.
This takes a bit of time.
:cold:
All good now though.
Everything’s here and the Helix and Powerstage both fit snuggly in my wheely case #RNFR so, with a guitar in a gig bag, I’m public transport friendly and ready to RAWK.
Fhhk yeah.
:)

Last edited:

bad alice

Easily distracted and...OHLOOKAGUITAR!!!
Thanks everyone - I haven’t had a huge amount of time to play through this yet
But it’s safe to say this rig is impressing me massively so far.
Looks awesome. The powerstage is a lot smaller than I expected. But how does it sound? Is it convincing?
So far, yes.
That said I’m not rehearsing again till next Friday so while it’s fairly easy for a small sized power amp to sound good at low volumes, the real test will be how much it colours/doesn’t colour the Helix tones when I’m playing at a higher volume.
However.
One of the main reasons I went for this particular power amp is that it’s reported to have a TON of headroom and that when it finally does start to overdrive it does it in a way that’s extremely musical and natural sounding...
And let’s face it; anything that makes Mick Here grin like this then yell “HOLY SHIT!” and Dan Here clap his hands and giggle with delight (fast forward to 45.17) has got to be a good thing

Tankman

Subtly not giving a F*ck
And let’s face it; anything that makes Mick Here grin like this then yell “HOLY SHIT!” and Dan Here clap his hands and giggle with delight (fast forward to 45.17) has got to be a good thing
Great! I will watch that tonight. I always enjoy a good TPS episode. Unfortunatley, having an 8 week old baby in the house limits the possibilities of watching full or multiple episodes.