New project guitar!

imstump94

So, a bit of a story. About 25 years ago (yeah I'm old) I wanted to start playing guitar. My uncle - who has never thrown anything away. ever. - says, "I have this old electric you can have." So, he gives me this old thing that has been in a case under his bed for 30-ish years. I knew nothing about it, but thought, "sure, why not". The action was horrible and I think the strings were original, so the neck was pretty bowed too. Soon after, my mom bought me a Sigma acoustic for Christmas, so I gave the electric back to my uncle. Then life got in the way, and I didn't really start learning again until a few years ago. Now needing another hobby, I asked him the other day if he still had it, and he did. Did I mention he's never thrown anything away? I wanted to see if I could make it playable, so he said I could take it. Now for the kicker - I also found out that my Dad was the one who originally bought the guitar when he was in the 8th grade. This was late-60's and the only way to get a guitar in Nowhere, Arkansas was from a catalog. So, he ordered this Holiday strat-type thing. It's kind of like a Squier mini. Anyway, I've got it taken apart on my kitchen table now in the process of cleaning it up. More pics to come! IMG_20191109_140643.jpg

Wade Garrett

I am the projectionist.
So, a bit of a story. About 25 years ago (yeah I'm old) I wanted to start playing guitar. My uncle - who has never thrown anything away. ever. - says, "I have this old electric you can have." So, he gives me this old thing that has been in a case under his bed for 30-ish years. I knew nothing about it, but thought, "sure, why not". The action was horrible and I think the strings were original, so the neck was pretty bowed too. Soon after, my mom bought me a Sigma acoustic for Christmas, so I gave the electric back to my uncle. Then life got in the way, and I didn't really start learning again until a few years ago. Now needing another hobby, I asked him the other day if he still had it, and he did. Did I mention he's never thrown anything away? I wanted to see if I could make it playable, so he said I could take it. Now for the kicker - I also found out that my Dad was the one who originally bought the guitar when he was in the 8th grade. This was late-60's and the only way to get a guitar in Nowhere, Arkansas was from a catalog. So, he ordered this Holiday strat-type thing. It's kind of like a Squier mini. Anyway, I've got it taken apart on my kitchen table now in the process of cleaning it up. More pics to come! View attachment 37687
Cool!

Neilybob100

I also found out that my Dad was the one who originally bought the guitar when he was in the 8th grade. This was late-60's and the only way to get a guitar in Nowhere, Arkansas was from a catalog. View attachment 37687
I read this far before seeing the image and thinking original 60's Fender Strat under the bed find ?!

Still really cool though.

Sent from my CLT-L29 using Tapatalk

imstump94

So I took it apart and cleaned it up. Sprayed a ton of electronics cleaner in the pots and switches. Oiled the fretboard. Oiled the fretboard. Oiled the fretboard one more time. :) Not too bad. The pickups are microphonic as all hell, but they sound pretty good clean and with ambient/spacy reverb and chorus. The frets are tiny so I'm afraid to polish them too much or they may disappear :rolleyes:. The neck and body are both plywood (see pics), but the neck is now straight as an arrow, so that's good. All in all a pretty fun little guitar. DSC_0066.JPG DSC_0067.JPG DSC_0068.JPG DSC_0069.JPG DSC_0071.JPG DSC_0072.JPG DSC_0073.JPG DSC_0075.JPG DSC_0076.JPG DSC_0077.JPG DSC_0078.JPG DSC_0079.JPG DSC_0080.JPG DSC_0081.JPG DSC_0082.JPG DSC_0084.JPG DSC_0085.JPG DSC_0087.JPG DSC_0088.JPG DSC_0091.JPG DSC_0093.JPG DSC_0094.JPG DSC_0097.JPG DSC_0099.JPG DSC_0101.JPG DSC_0102.JPG DSC_0106.JPG DSC_0109.JPG DSC_0110.JPG

Wade Garrett

I am the projectionist.
So I took it apart and cleaned it up. Sprayed a ton of electronics cleaner in the pots and switches. Oiled the fretboard. Oiled the fretboard. Oiled the fretboard one more time. :) Not too bad. The pickups are microphonic as all hell, but they sound pretty good clean and with ambient/spacy reverb and chorus. The frets are tiny so I'm afraid to polish them too much or they may disappear :rolleyes:. The neck and body are both plywood (see pics), but the neck is now straight as an arrow, so that's good. All in all a pretty fun little guitar. View attachment 37690 View attachment 37691 View attachment 37692 View attachment 37693 View attachment 37694 View attachment 37695 View attachment 37696 View attachment 37697 View attachment 37698 View attachment 37699 View attachment 37700 View attachment 37701 View attachment 37702 View attachment 37703 View attachment 37704 View attachment 37705 View attachment 37706 View attachment 37707 View attachment 37708 View attachment 37709 View attachment 37710 View attachment 37711 View attachment 37712 View attachment 37713 View attachment 37714 View attachment 37715 View attachment 37716 View attachment 37717 View attachment 37718
Great job man, I like it.

imstump94

The neck actually feels really nice. Open chords and "thumb chords" are great. barre chords are a little tough with the mini frets. Action is still a little high for me past the 12th. I don't spend a ton of time up there, so it doesn't really matter I guess. The bridge is down as far as it will go, and the neck is straight, so not sure what I can do about it. I might try a shim or something later.

Wade Garrett

I am the projectionist.
The neck actually feels really nice. Open chords and "thumb chords" are great. barre chords are a little tough with the mini frets. Action is still a little high for me past the 12th. I don't spend a ton of time up there, so it doesn't really matter I guess. The bridge is down as far as it will go, and the neck is straight, so not sure what I can do about it. I might try a shim or something later.
Shims can make the world of difference, you should give it a go.

ed lespaul

Absolutely shim it. Get a small pack of maple veneer, and it will last years. I've had mine for around 5 years, and nowhere near done. A great $7 investment. I use it for everything. If the small tuner screws are stripped, I use it to fix those issues too.

imstump94

Well that was weird. The last 2 days I got a "This Account Suspended" page every time I tried to go to the forum. Finally cleared up this afternoon. Anywho - Thanks for the advice! Think I'll definitely go with the shims.

Magnus Pym

Grudges rot the soul
A freind of mine had something that looked a lot like that (from a catalogue) in the early eighties. His was pretty bad. The body was mainly filler, the neck didn't really have a truss rod, the pickups were microphonic and the trem sent it immediatly out of tune just by thinking about it. The 'amp' that came with it was a deathtrap. Like you said though, it was about the only place to get a 'beginner' guitar. I hope yours is better.