New Model Launch

Lonestar

SC Relics Guitars
Well, it’s friday and I must be feeling risqué. I hope such an announcement won’t warrant any slaps with the yard stick but this is above and beyond our normal news/posts.

Over the last year, we have been asked (increasingly) for full builds. We have done plenty in the past but these have brought about unwanted solicitors letters from the big boys. In order to actually show a full model we obviously had to make some changes.

Is what you’re about to see totally unique? No. But, it’s something that is new to us and with interest growing rapidly I have no doubt we will be taking on more production builds shortly. The reason for this post is actually to say that this guitar will be at the British Guitar Show this weekend. We just managed to get it finished in time and as of this morning it is making its way to Birmingham. It has taken a lot of work but as you’ll can see, it has been worth it.

I am not trying to sell you anything here. I would ask one favour of you though... if you are going to the show please stop at Montys Guitars stand and have a twang. The guitar features Matts pickups which are outstanding. Based on the original broadcaster specs I believe. Any feedback and critique is welcomed.

I suppose we can officially say that SC Relics is now in the business of boutique guitar manufacturing :)

67B29C5C-0372-44B9-B19F-EAEA1FE9580D.jpeg

4D56C02B-E759-403E-BB78-8CD2D53985A0.jpeg

E881326B-9280-4B80-AAC5-D559A78C168C.jpeg

DD9EA926-AE3F-4511-BB86-D9FEDE99C768.jpeg

618F9E16-A16C-4569-8EA2-DCF913F84209.jpeg

Last edited:
While that looks like a nice guitar, if you've already received "cease and desist" letters from Fender, isn't that one sailing a bit too close to the wind? I would certainly not use that particular name, for example!

Lonestar

SC Relics Guitars
Thank you muchly all. It’s exciting times and it’s really just the beginning.

@GloopyJon in this case the headstock is different, the name is different and the logo bears no resemblance to Fender. Their beef was that I was showing their shape headstocks with my painted bodies. With that in mind (after seeking legal advice before proceeding with this design and layout), there are no trademarks or copyrights being infringed here.

Tankman

Subtly not giving a F*ck
Thank you muchly all. It’s exciting times and it’s really just the beginning.

@GloopyJon in this case the headstock is different, the name is different and the logo bears no resemblance to Fender. Their beef was that I was showing their shape headstocks with my painted bodies. With that in mind (after seeking legal advice before proceeding with this design and layout), there are no trademarks or copyrights being infringed here.
Yup, I know about this. The luthier who built my Tele and Strat gave me two optoins each time. If I want the Fender headstock, he will just buy an unfinished, licensed neck or if I want him to build me a neck, he will have to use his own design headstock. Vain as I am, of course I chose the Fender headstocks.

Lonestar

SC Relics Guitars
Yup, I know about this. The luthier who built my Tele and Strat gave me two optoins each time. If I want the Fender headstock, he will just buy an unfinished, licensed neck or if I want him to build me a neck, he will have to use his own design headstock. Vain as I am, of course I chose the Fender headstocks.
Correct. The thing that we are now doing differently is we are hoping to phase out the licenced necks. If we do a full build, it’ll look like our guitar. Photographing, painting and dressing a licenced neck also carries the risk of attracting unwanted attention.

There are much bigger companies than mine breaking trademark laws with their creations. Mine doesn’t break any laws what so ever.

Tankman

Subtly not giving a F*ck
Correct. The thing that we are now doing differently is we are hoping to phase out the licenced necks. If we do a full build, it’ll look like our guitar. Photographing, painting and dressing a licenced neck also carries the risk of attracting unwanted attention.

There are much bigger companies than mine breaking trademark laws with their creations. Mine doesn’t break any laws what so ever.
Yup. This luthier has stopped using licensed necks for his productions models. He only buys them for his guitar building classes to keep costs down and for special requests like mine.

But let's be honest. The big companies complain even when the headstock looks nothing like theirs. I've heard Ibanez stopped the SZ models, because PRS thought the headstocks were to similar. They are not.

Lonestar

SC Relics Guitars
Yup. This luthier has stopped using licensed necks for his productions models. He only buys them for his guitar building classes to keep costs down and for special requests like mine.

But let's be honest. The big companies complain even when the headstock looks nothing like theirs. I've heard Ibanez stopped the SZ models, because PRS thought the headstocks were to similar. They are not.
What the companies pretty much have to do is prove, beyond reasonable doubt, that you have cost them sales. They can’t. C&D’s are basically there to say “whoa hang on there. You’re pissing in our pool... and you will stop, right now”.

I have no problem with that they did. I’m still of the opinion someone took the hump with me and sent fender my details. Perhaps fender show check out the likes of Gordon Smith when it comes to headstock shapes... or any luthier in the UK who actually cut fender shapes from scratch. All I did was paint licenced necks.

Tankman

Subtly not giving a F*ck
What the companies pretty much have to do is prove, beyond reasonable doubt, that you have cost them sales. They can’t. C&D’s are basically there to say “whoa hang on there. You’re pissing in our pool... and you will stop, right now”.

I have no problem with that they did. I’m still of the opinion someone took the hump with me and sent fender my details. Perhaps fender show check out the likes of Gordon Smith when it comes to headstock shapes... or any luthier in the UK who actually cut fender shapes from scratch. All I did was paint licenced necks.
In my opinion, if it's licensed, it's legal. Licensed means you paid for the right to use the neck. If you then paint it, it shouldn't matter. It would be the same as buying a Fender and taking of the name decal on the head and replacing it with something else. You don't hear Fender complaining then. If they don't want this to happen, they shouldn't do licenses.

Lonestar

SC Relics Guitars
If that's ok, then great. I hope you get a lot of good feedback from the show!
It would certainly be interesting to hear from again if they think there is something wrong! ;) Have a read up about Nash Guitars. They use allparts necks and basically say if they have paid for a licenced neck then it’s up to them what they do with it. Interesting argument if you can afford to fight it.

I’ve had a lot of people interested in the guitar so I reckon it’ll bring with it some much needed general feedback from the potential customer base.

Lonestar

SC Relics Guitars
That's the nub of the problem. Fender can afford to set lawyers onto the little guys, but lawyers' fees can easily put the little guys out of business.
Indeed. Protecting their own copyrights is fair enough. But my headstock shouldn’t get their panties in a twist.

Anyhoo, ‘tis a great guitar and the run up to this has been fun. I’ve gained some nice momentum off the back of it so far so I’m looking forward to some more feedback once the show is over.