New Linux distro

Discussion in 'Geeks Unite' started by Owwwccchhh, Jun 14, 2016.

1. Owwwccchhh

Owwwccchhh Active Member

Today I spent the majority of my time making free space in a partition chart so I could install elementary os. For those who don't know, elementary os is, it's an Ubuntu based distro that is meant to be lightweight and it looks stunning. It's almost a tech demo for a desktop environment that they created, with in house workspaces and midori, which is a browser that they created. It's fairly nice. Right now I'm using it pretty much exclusively as a workspace for my online schoolwork.

2. Robstafarian

Robstafarian The Good and Wise Call Me “Rufus”

I did not know that you use Linux; I have used it for almost 13 years. My preferred distro for the last few years has been Ubuntu Studio, though I really want to try Funtoo—I miss my Gentoo roots (Funtoo is more like Gentoo was than Gentoo is).

3. Owwwccchhh

Owwwccchhh Active Member

I had previously been using Ubuntu, and before that I had Peppermint os, and my most recent was Linux Mint. I appreciate the interface of elementary though, I am not a huge fan of the Unity desktop, so having the canonical store and Ubuntu kind of security, as it is a very nice version of Linux when it comes to processes. But the unity desktop is gaudy as hell, all opinion of course. So I've always looked at Gentoo though, it looks fairly nice, I guess it's big on it's terminal, as that's all you see in the image search. I would really like to use openSUSE sometime, but I can't switch too soon. I've tried doing that shit, it's just a bunch of downloading that eats up all your time. Oh well, I just finished getting the 32 bit portion ready for steam, I was encountering a conflict as I was trying to download a version of wine, and the terminal was locking up.

Sent from my VS985 4G using Tapatalk

4. Robstafarian

Robstafarian The Good and Wise Call Me “Rufus”

Ubuntu Studio defaults to XFCE, on top of which I am running Compiz. With regard to WINE, read this (with Ubuntu 16.04LTS, there should be no need to remove the standard WINE-related packages). I do not recommend Gentoo, and Funtoo should be thought of as a very specific challenge—not to be attempted if you just want to use Linux.

lupinehorror likes this.
  5. Owwwccchhh

Owwwccchhh Active Member

I will take heed of the Gentoo suggestion. As with the wine portion, that is a great help. I am having a nice time setting up my pc still. By the way, the version of steam in the Ubuntu file manager is actual trash. It has not been updated since it apparently had an error some time back, and now the only version worth installing is the one from the website. Nice of me to have had several hours of frustration and complications due to a several year old error.

Sent from my VS985 4G using Tapatalk