New Gibson Line Up - Finally What Players Want?

johnniegoat

Stop, don’t, come back.
@Rick

the falcon is a big hollow jazz box, you can get it in 1 or 2 cutaway models

the new Duffy models include a 335-esque tone bar under the pickups to make it more semi hollow

if you wanted a LP type, the G6228 would be lots more sensible than a Penguin

Tankman

Subtly not giving a F*ck
As for calling flaws on a custom guitar something that makes it unique, well that is something I will never understand. Don't mistake me, i have never been that bothered by imperfections and flaws, but when Gibson do it, they get trashed. I will never consider that it is unacceptable from them but fine for a handmade custom instrument.
Well, there's a difference between flaws and lackluster building quality. Gibson never fails to disappoint.

Chu

Well, there's a difference between flaws and lackluster building quality. Gibson never fails to disappoint.
I'm sure that there are some disappointing examples out there, particularly when it comes to the setup, however I've played enough Gibsons through various eras to disregard much of the criticism I see. I've read several times of people going into a guitar store, trying 10+ Gibsons and finding significant issues with them all. I don't know about you, but if I go into a guitar store and find more than one guitar hanging on the wall with pots that spin round and round, pickups don't work or binding is freely coming off then I would walk out of that store and never go back. What kind of store has that many guitars on the wall going completely unchecked? Me thinks that there's some untruth being told.

mirage2101

I'm sure that there are some disappointing examples out there, particularly when it comes to the setup, however I've played enough Gibsons through various eras to disregard much of the criticism I see. I've read several times of people going into a guitar store, trying 10+ Gibsons and finding significant issues with them all. I don't know about you, but if I go into a guitar store and find more than one guitar hanging on the wall with pots that spin round and round, pickups don't work or binding is freely coming off then I would walk out of that store and never go back. What kind of store has that many guitars on the wall going completely unchecked? Me thinks that there's some untruth being told.
I agree. There's a mass of misinformation out there just to have a cool story to tell.
My LP was a great guitar. That said I wasn't impressed with the lower budget offerings compared to other brands. But that was more in terms of playability then quality.
I keep saying that I think a lot of people are either: comparing lower budget models, comparing fakes or making up their stories.
Not ALL of them. I'm sure Gibson builds lemons too. But not to a different percentage then other brands.

Felix

Addicted to Grunge
Gibson have at times cut corners and the quality dips, or they make changes that impact negatively on the brand. As a whole, most do seem to be of an ok quality, but not for the money they charge for their guitars. Out of the big USA brands, to me it seems PRS USA are making guitars that are just out of this world good, for the numbers they are doing. If Gibson get back to where PRS are, then I would have faith the brand will put a lot of the bad press behind them.

I've owned 8 Gibson's since 2013 and they range from a '79 Deluxe through the 90's and 00's to two from the 2010's. My 2011 LP Custom which was from the main production line, was a really well built guitar and the changes I made were not to improve, but alter it's looks and match the more pricey model. The 2015 Studio I hate, I really, really, really, really didn't like but it wasn't badly made. I know there are bad ones out there, heck I've even played a few that didn't feel the price they were going for in the shop, but typically that's why we are meant to try a guitar out before buying it. With online buying and selling happening more and more, people are getting guitars that they have never played before (which is why most eBay and Reverb sales allow a buyer to return a guitar) and rather saying they didn't like it, they will try and find fault.

One reason I buy from members on here is down to trust. I know if I buy from most of the long term members, they are going to be very honest with me of what they like and dislike with a guitar and it's price reflects that.

Tankman

Subtly not giving a F*ck
Well, I used to work at a guitar store and we ended our relationship with Gibson due to frequent quality issues, yet more frequent increases in price. They were just not worth the money. No excuses here. It's all experience.

Lonestar

SC Relics Guitars
Well, I used to work at a guitar store and we ended our relationship with Gibson due to frequent quality issues, yet more frequent increases in price. They were just not worth the money. No excuses here. It's all experience.
What year was this?

Tankman

Subtly not giving a F*ck
What year was this?
Oldest stock was from 2007. We stopped maybe in 2014 I think. Could have been 2015. Of course I'm speaking in general terms. Of course there were a few good ones, but you really needed to search for that good one. I remember really liking the BFG and some triple humbucker flying V.

On a side note, I recently checked out a bunch of Gibsons at Musik Produktiv and did not notice any improvement from what I remember.

everfreetree

I... I like trees.
Genuinely the same color as my car, and that's okay!
I kinda love the black one, too, but the blue is ALMOST as good. It isn't my favorite blue, but it IS a very good one.

Well done, Gibson.*

*Honestly didn't think I'd be saying that, with the way things were going before, and with my dad's best friend ending up leaving the company during the move to Nashville (he was in Memphis), due to stupid things happening... but they DO seem to be genuinely putting effort in, and I appreciate that.

Oh, and bonus, there IS a poker chip in the case, for those who don't like it missing on the Modern. I don't care, cause one of the first things I did to both of my Gibson-esque guitars, years ago, was remove the poker chip, heh.

Felix

Addicted to Grunge
Personally I’d like to know what paint thinner they were sniffing when they came up with those clear control knobs as ‘modern’. So Chinese, bad choice! :p
Yeah you're right, not very '60s as I've seen on LP's. I will say that it's a nice enough guitar, I'm such a sucker for LP's in red (heck I've owned 3 red ones lol). I really want a red custom between 80 - 94 if one ever comes up when I can afford one!

Felix

Addicted to Grunge