New Gibson Line Up - Finally What Players Want?

Felix

Addicted to Grunge
I've just been on YouTube and watched a number of videos about Gibson's new line up.

My jaw kinda hit the floor as they are doing things that seem to be making sense! Solid bodies (no more weight relief Swiss cheese bullshit)!, classic designs with traditional pots and good quality parts all round! Seriously, did it take Gibson nearly going down the toilet with bankruptcy to figure this stuff out?

Also Mark who use to be the guy from Norm's Rare Guitars, is their new PR/YouTube person since March, which means I naturally like his style.

Strigidae

I like owls.
Really like this approach to the range. My only gripe would be that I love the classic specifications but prefer the modern finishes, loved the Seafoam Green, Blueberry Burst, Hot Pink and Aquamarine finishes, the current colours are a bit bland. I get why they went that way though and would still love to buy a Standard 50's, especially before the inevitable price hike (see the price trajectory from last time they went cheaper in 2014).

Felix

Addicted to Grunge
Really like this approach to the range. My only gripe would be that I love the classic specifications but prefer the modern finishes, loved the Seafoam Green, Blueberry Burst, Hot Pink and Aquamarine finishes, the current colours are a bit bland. I get why they went that way though and would still love to buy a Standard 50's, especially before the inevitable price hike (see the price trajectory from last time they went cheaper in 2014).
Striddgy as you know old friend I'm a sucker for the oldschool stuff. I think the LP Studio would be a good range to play around with for the more modern flair, as people who get studio's tend to go on to getting the more pricey LP guitars a few years on. I think what will save Gibson is if they really focus on doing guitars that are built more simply, but with high quality. If people want something higher end, that the Custom Shop would be ideal for that type of thing?

mirage2101

It's funny to see people are asking on reddit if gibson is on the way back up. I'm not sure they were ever down aside from being cool to hate. I liked the colours of the 2019 line. If they're gone that's a shame. Though honesty forces me to admit I'm not going to use blueberry burst of seafoam green on the guitar that's being build for me.

What I think is missing is a "revolution"line. We've got the traditional and modern. I think those make sense. But maybe we need an affordable line with auto tuners, sustainiac pickup, a midi interface, a partnership with line6 for the dream rig, wider necks... That kinda stuff. Just to see what works and clicks.
I think dip switches are silly. But an extra dial to go through those settings? That's user friendly. These days everything has a bluetooth interface. What could be possible with that?
I'm not saying it'll sell like hot buns. but I do like the thought of pushing what a guitar actually is and does.

bottom line, the range looks great, even if it's a bit boring.

SemiCullen

Still haven't got the hang of Thursdays
I am very happy with the way Gibson seems to be listening to their core market. However, I still think they're missing out on the oppotunity to launch a Gibson-branded, foreign-made line of guitars. I'm in the market for a goldtop LP-style guitar with P90s and I can tell you right now, at $2,500 USD, it won't be a Gibson. Eastman has a similar model (with ebony fretboard and Lollar pups) for $1,600. Again, I respect what they're doing and they'll always sell guitars because they're Gibson, but I think they need to face the reality that the foreign markets are making guitars every bit as good as they are at way better price points.

Chu

Solid bodies (no more weight relief Swiss cheese bullshit)!, classic designs with traditional pots and good quality parts all round!
Whilst I think that a lot of their ranges had lost their way recently, if either of my Les Pauls had been of the 'Swiss cheese bullshit' feature I would probably never had the need to try something different; deserting the brand entirely for a major competitor in the process. Try a three hour session standing up with an unrelieved LP and tell me it's worth it! Bollocks it is....

ScutMonkey

What I think is missing is a "revolution"line. We've got the traditional and modern. I think those make sense. But maybe we need an affordable line with auto tuners, sustainiac pickup, a midi interface, a partnership with line6 for the dream rig, wider necks... That kinda stuff. Just to see what works and clicks.
I think dip switches are silly. But an extra dial to go through those settings? That's user friendly. These days everything has a bluetooth interface. What could be possible with that?
I'm not saying it'll sell like hot buns. but I do like the thought of pushing what a guitar actually is and does.

bottom line, the range looks great, even if it's a bit boring.
Boring is what Gibson die hards want. If you were to offer anything like that with the Gibson name on it, the internet would light itself on fire with rage. Gibson would be better off using one of their other brands they've mothballed for something like that.

Bringing Kramer out of mothballs and doing something Kramer fans can identify with was a good idea.

Personally, I'm hoping Steinberger comes back with the Trans Trem and Composite materials. None of this wood bullshit on the Spirit series. Get Ned involved. He'll do interesting stuff. This is exactly where Gibson can do "out there" things.

Last edited:

Felix

Addicted to Grunge
Whilst I think that a lot of their ranges had lost their way recently, if either of my Les Pauls had been of the 'Swiss cheese bullshit' feature I would probably never had the need to try something different; deserting the brand entirely for a major competitor in the process. Try a three hour session standing up with an unrelieved LP and tell me it's worth it! Bollocks it is....
Some of the solid LP's in the new range have been weighed and it seems they are a touch heavier hitting the low 9's and getting to the 10's. Because I sit down I guess I didn't put much thought into the impact of playing one in a full gig. I think Gibson need to look at maybe playing with the Studio range more than the Trad/Stand models, as in all honesty, these stand more of a chance of being gigged.

Also, when people are buying the more pricey LP's , they do seem to want to go for what a LP use to be more than anything else.

Solid bodies (no more weight relief Swiss cheese bullshit)!
I have yet to check the new range but I think your view is too absolute, similar to what @Chu suggested.
This is a post-2010 weight relief summary:
ris._10_4.jpg
If I'm not mistaking, yours has the relieving second from the left. Judge it accurately is all I'm trying to say.

I like to reiterate the fallout that was the consequence of the early Robots, the Dark Fire, the Dusk Tiger And the Firebird X. While I agree that it'd be good to have something for everyone's tastes, I think the barebones traditional boring is better for Gibson in the long term. As silly as it sounds, big name guitar manufacturers are not going to be able to be the innovative ones, simply because the public would just shit on them.

Last edited:

Lonestar

SC Relics Guitars
With Henry gone, this direction was inevitable. Back to basics and no frills. They were trying to be PRS for a while too with their lavish CS models which was... interesting.

JC is just what the brand needed. This guy doesn’t give a rats ass about Gibson’s electronic wings/brands... he’s the rock n roll leadership that they need.

Now, I don’t get on with Les Pauls and tbh after playing a 335 CS JB model I’m not entirely sold about spending £4000 on the ES model I thought I wanted either. I’d still buy an SG Standard but knowing the luthiers I know now I’d be hard pushed to give Gibson my money at all.

I think the “cool to hate” thing is so sad but true. I personally don’t see why the internet gets riled up about Gibson. Without them, the music world would be a sad place.

Chu

Some of the solid LP's in the new range have been weighed and it seems they are a touch heavier hitting the low 9's and getting to the 10's. Because I sit down I guess I didn't put much thought into the impact of playing one in a full gig. I think Gibson need to look at maybe playing with the Studio range more than the Trad/Stand models, as in all honesty, these stand more of a chance of being gigged.

Also, when people are buying the more pricey LP's , they do seem to want to go for what a LP use to be more than anything else.
When I got my first LP, i loved it for its weight. To me, a LP should be honest to the original but with some nods towards practicality available too. Most of my gigging peers are 30-50yr olds with disposable income, playing high end gear. These guys are less worried about gigging a £3000 guitar that you'd imagine, so there really is a place for some sensible tweaks. Just let's not make a Les Paul Standard (which they will always be to me) into something else!

mirage2101

I like to reiterate the fallout that was the consequence of the early Robots, the Dark Fire, the Dusk Tiger And the Firebird X. While I agree that it'd be good to have something for everyone's tastes, I think the barebones traditional boring is better for Gibson in the long term. As silly as it sounds, big name guitar manufacturers are not going to be able to be the innovative ones, simply because the public would just shit on them.
So use a B brand. I have a hard time believing this series is the final evolution of the guitar and we should all just buy something that has been essentially the same for almost 70 years.

I get that Gibson is a business and synths have been stuck in a nostalgic phase for the last years too. But completely standing still is choosing to die.
You can say whatever you want about guys like line6 and kemper. But at least they’re trying to make stuff better and accessible.

What if Gibson put their attention to it and were suddenly able to half all their prices while keeping quality the same?

But this is a criticism that could go towards fender or any of the big brands.

SemiCullen

Still haven't got the hang of Thursdays
So use a B brand. I have a hard time believing this series is the final evolution of the guitar and we should all just buy something that has been essentially the same for almost 70 years.

I get that Gibson is a business and synths have been stuck in a nostalgic phase for the last years too. But completely standing still is choosing to die.
You can say whatever you want about guys like line6 and kemper. But at least they’re trying to make stuff better and accessible.

What if Gibson put their attention to it and were suddenly able to half all their prices while keeping quality the same?

But this is a criticism that could go towards fender or any of the big brands.
I would argue that the most innovative brands out there right now, that have also caught popular attention, would be Strandberg and Abasi. Most of their innovation is in ergonomics, though. However, if Gibson had made these guitars, no one would buy them. Gibson just means a certain thing to most people.

Joking of course!

Gibson are on the right track now. I’m quite happy to sit back and watch it from a distance though. I still prefer fender based stuff
Figured as much! ;)

Having seen the range, it’s heavily LP and SG based, nothing new per se. Colour options seem very limited. The neck joints on Junior and TV Special seem irregular. Unpopular opinion; it makes no sense to abandon the G-Force for the modern series. They should’ve kept it and make it better and more intuitive through the years.