Needing help putting together a music PC

ScutMonkey

https://outlet.euro.dell.com/Online/SecondaryInventorySearch.aspx?c=uk&cs=ukdfh1&l=en&s=dfh&sign=PXhcOSHtr1T4IOw/PR7UdT2ioKJBHDrkix1ZLkbrbfV4yW9OcQr15/0Nnejw64YXxg7J4RUzfDpWZb7ZIHvy3QFxzW4RzZpT47xcEq+mKLaqtJgekjMRHO3Q7tPv2ExtvT5XcfNwC4H46JjCGzULASf1otEprbmTMLim7qNm0E5BNJJ+pvmuUUANALrSxFvXXMCLDTa+LD8p1kQzFvgX8AHgRtrUvtZOTqvtYXNGvEQ=

Watch the Dell Refurb site and you can find stuff like this. This only has 8GBs of RAM, but it's a 1x8gb stick so when you get it you can pull the RAM, match it, and buy a second one and you'll still be ahead. You'll also get the full Dell warranty which is 3 years in the US.

But yes, either of those is a good place to start in terms of hardware.

My big caveat with Dell is that for years they were legendarily hard to upgrade, particularly in terms of extra drives etc; I really appreciate the input. though :)

Magnus Pym

Grudges rot the soul
My big caveat with Dell is that for years they were legendarily hard to upgrade, particularly in terms of extra drives etc; I really appreciate the input. though :)
Also like HP they use different components that fill the same spec and called them the same model ... and the same build no. Whatever was cheapest at the time. So the reference number of the machine will not tell you exactly what is in the machine or even what's on the motherboard.

metromusic

Negative, I am a meat popsicle
I'd suggest looking at some of the 3XS systems that you can get through Scan. They're in your price range, and you can change some of the parts if you want before ordering it. All custom built by them.

I got one of their "gaming" desktops a few years ago to use for audio production and it worked out really well. I've just upgraded to a Mac recently, but would highly recommend their stuff.

mirage2101

Also like HP they use different components that fill the same spec and called them the same model ... and the same build no. Whatever was cheapest at the time. So the reference number of the machine will not tell you exactly what is in the machine or even what's on the motherboard.
I owned a HP pc for years, got an acer after that and while the acer has more room in the case it's of less quality then the HP machine was.
Fans are ticking, that kind of stuff.
My next pc is going to be a HP again, or a mac.

I have to agree that hp's aren't great to upgrade. I put a better video card in mine and it started crashing. turns out they had the power supply matched so closely to what the machine could pull it could'nt handle the additional load. Putting in a new power supply required me to saw a piece of the case out to make room.
Then again, you don't buy HP to upgrade it.

These days you either go for a brand and accept what's in there, or you build yourself. And honestly I don't think building it yourself is really worth it anymore unless you enjoy scouring stores for parts at the best price and want something really specific.
For music, if you have a healthy chunk of memory and a lot of storage you should be fine. SSD is nice but traditional drives can handle recording.
If you run into space limits with old stuff just get a nas or a cloud drive to archive it on.

*I have to add that since I work in IT computer stuff has changed from a hobby to a job. I want to buy something that just works and I don't like tinkering with stuff anymore because I handle with that stuff 40 hours a week. YMMV

I really do appreciate all the advice, guys; currently I'm tending towards the Palicomp with the low-noise case, i7, 16GB of RAM and the 1TB HDD. The plan is to have the 1TB HDD have the OS (may as well suck it up and go for W10) and the DAW + any & all plug ins etc, and I'll add the 1TB SSD I have sat here ready as a pure music files drive.

Any obvious flaws in that as a plan...?

Chu

Whilst there are plenty of reasons to buy something other than a Dell, I've upgraded the RAM on mine, the hdd with a ssd AND an additional hdd, I've replaced the mouse pad keys and battery. If I can do it, it's easy.