Neck heavy Ghost Fret. (solved)

Paul Wickham

Oh no you didn't!
Greetings fellow Chapmanites,

Well this is my first post here so I say off the bat I am most impressed with the Chapman ethos and my new Ghost Fret will soon be joined by a Chapman ML-1 in Antique Sunburst.

As the title suggests my Ghost Fret is neck heavy, while sitting it is an absolute pleasure to play, but put on a strap and stand up...Not such fun. I have been looking at every picture I can find that shows the strap pins and there seems to be a rather wide variation on the rear pin. From below the line of the neck, to the centre and like mine about an inch above. Is there a definitive position that will balance the guitar? I am more than happy to change the placement as a balanced guitar more than out-ways the minor cosmetic flaw.

Paul Wickham

Oh no you didn't!
Okay I have continued this topic on the other thread about the subject. On the assumption that maybe people doing a search with the same issue may view this one I shall summarise where I am here too.

The reason a very few GF's neck dive is simply that the wood of the neck and body is not a constant. So if your body is less dense than the optimum and your neck a little more...Then your headstock heading south is the result. If you are lucky enough to buy from a dealer make sure to try playing with a strap on standing up. If like me your only option is online? Well Chappers has said it is an uncommon thing and they worked hard to get the GF balanced so don't be put off. Really don't, despite being a little disappointed at my GF being one of the few divers, everything else about this guitar is incredible at the price point.

A little experimentation with alternative locations for the strap pins showed no improvement, in fact made matters worse. So in my experience this is not a solution.

Adding a extension to the strap that clips to your belt is a great solution if you wear a belt, Youtube has this solution. I don't so passed on that. If you do wear a belt it is a simple and cheap solution and adds no or negligible weight...Edit (Is there a prize for the most uses of the word solution in a singe sentence?)

The solution (There it is again) I am going for is to add a divers weight to the strap at the point just above where it connects to the rear strap pin there is a version that is like a small bean bag but filled with small lead balls. You can find out what weight you might need by tying a plastic water bottle to your rear strap pin and filling it until your GF sits right for you. As a matter of interest, for me that was 1k or 2.2lb. I have one ordered, cost including postage £12.

I shall update one more time with the results when the weight arrives and I have utilised my minimal sewing skills.

Last edited:

Paul Wickham

Oh no you didn't!
Okay happy bunny. As promised the before and after pics. As you can see in the first pic the dive on this GF is pronounced, it heads to that resting place fast.

The diving weight arrived today so I just slipped it into the strap for this pic. I am going to get a more padded strap as the added weight 1k is not insignificant on my ageing back and shoulders but as you can see the dive is cured and the GF sits exactly where I want it.

bad alice

Easily distracted and...OHLOOKAGUITAR!!!
Okay happy bunny. As promised the before and after pics. As you can see in the first pic the dive on this GF is pronounced, it heads to that resting place fast.

The diving weight arrived today so I just slipped it into the strap for this pic. I am going to get a more padded strap as the added weight 1k is not insignificant on my ageing back and shoulders but as you can see the dive is cured and the GF sits exactly where I want it.

RESULT!
And yep, I'm significantly more impressed than that questioning looking chap on the telly...
:)