My SG has been away for a while. It’s back. And HELL YEAH!

Sustainerplayer

On the edge of breakup
That can't just be a refin. Looks like that guitar was sent back in time - and then forward again.

Outstanding - glad I don't like SG's or relic or else I would be in some kind of chock.

bad alice

Easily distracted and...OHLOOKAGUITAR!!!
*curtseys*
:D

So now it’s Saturday and my week of feeling like I’ve been continually running to catch up with myself is over (YAY WEEKEND!) I can share the story of how this refinish happened and who’s responsible for this new look.
I love relics. You know that already though, right? When I was weighing up buying this SG I had the luxury of having it on loan to a/b it against other guitars to figure out if it was right for me. In short, I adore how it plays, feels and sounds. The looks though left me cold. I contacted Graham to see if he was up for a refinish but he’s taking a break room nitro spraying right now.
My next thoughts were either Relic D’Art (in France - check them out) or our very own and excellent @Lonestar at SC Relics. The former was crossed off the list when they said they’d need the guitar for 6-7 months plus the price was *challenging* to say the least. Scott has done and continues to do blindingly good work on Fender type axes but I haven’t seen enough Gibson’s pass through his hands to be 110% that I would get the look I wanted (no offence intended, Scott and I’m confident that your Gibson portfolio will be something that grows as you continue to make huge strides in the guitar refinishing and relicking business).
Then I remembered someone; the someone I mentioned in the video above.
James or jamesm2910 if you seek him out on eBay.
Now OBVIOUSLY I was not about to send my precious SG off across the UK to a complete stranger no matter how good his Gibson LP Relics look! So we spoke, eBay feedback was checked, I sought references, then spoke with ex customers and they shared pics and all described James as a thoroughly decent chap, and more chatting between us hapoened.
Turns out James had a hankering to do an Ivory SG heavy Relic so was well up for my plan. We discussed prices and ended up doing a deal for a price we were both happy with where I would take on aging the hardware and plastics while James would take care of stripping the original cherry finish and then resparey and relic the body/neck/headstock.
Gotta say James has been brilliant all the way through this with regular contact - always replying within hours to any email questions from me - and regular photo updates and progress reports while also checking (pun) in whether I would like anything done differently etc. Just what you’d hope for tbh.
The guitar came home about 10 days ago and then it was time to get Billy at GG to switch the humbucker covers over from nickel to the now relicked gold ones I had plus wire everything back in as it should be.
I’m pleased with how my attempts at ageing both the set of blingtastic gold Gibson hardware and the tort plastics went and while this is never something I could do professionally I had a lot of fun and satisfaction with the results.
Also, a HUGE shout out to Graham because even though he wasn’t able to take on the refinish job he made me a brown 3ply tort truss rod cover to tie in with the pickguard. What a legend and kind soul that man is!
Oh, since it’s you guys the BM on that truss rod cover is both the initials for my nickname for Mitch
It’s now ALSO the initials for the guitar’s name (which is a different name from Mitch nickname!)
That name being Bad Motherf**ker *said in best SamuelL Jackson voice*
Because?
Well...
*pops on sunglasses and leans back in chair*
It damn well is.
:)

Last edited:
That is a filthy beauty! Like wow! Also exactly the colour I want my Viper to be, which has been a way too long term plan by now. I'll just hop over to Braveheart country and take yours! ;)

Happy modded SG day!

Strigidae

I like owls.
This looks fantastic. Lovely combination of colours both in finish and hardware. I always feel like I would never want to refinish a Gibson but this one definitely looks better than the stock SG:s. H(sort of)NGD!

bad alice

That can't just be a refin. Looks like that guitar was sent back in time - and then forward again.

Outstanding - glad I don't like SG's or relic or else I would be in some kind of chock.
nice work Suze - i am not an SG guy, but that is plainly a delight
That is a filthy beauty! Like wow! Also exactly the colour I want my Viper to be, which has been a way too long term plan by now. I'll just hop over to Braveheart country and take yours! ;)

Happy modded SG day!
This looks fantastic. Lovely combination of colours both in finish and hardware. I always feel like I would never want to refinish a Gibson but this one definitely looks better than the stock SG:s. H(sort of)NGD!
Thanks everyone! James has done outstanding things to how this guitar looks so to say I’m delighted is an understatement.
@Rick? Make it happen!
And @Strigidae thanks and I’m really pleased how the brown tort and aged gold hardware have worked in this plan. I’ve always felt that black plastics *somehow* make aged ivory - especially relicked ivory - look dirty. My hope was that the brown tort and gold would compliment the warmth that the ivory brings as well as tying in better with the mahogany that’s exposed and I think it’s turned out well in that respect.. #gotlucky

Lonestar

SC Relics Guitars
Nicely done Suzy. I’m always partial to vintage cream on any guitar. Is the original finish under the cream? I can’t quite make out on my phone (still battling with the brightness levels on this bloody iPhone).

No offence taken btw. The end goal is self satisfaction - you’ve got to make a decision who best suits your brief as the customer. Tbh, I’d have been quoting you the same as Michael. The last time I spoke to him he sounded as busy as we are.

bad alice

Nicely done Suzy. I’m always partial to vintage cream on any guitar. Is the original finish under the cream? I can’t quite make out on my phone (still battling with the brightness levels on this bloody iPhone).

No offence taken btw. The end goal is self satisfaction - you’ve got to make a decision who best suits your brief as the customer. Tbh, I’d have been quoting you the same as Michael. The last time I spoke to him he sounded as busy as we are.
Thanks Scott and your understanding on this is much appreciated and respected too.
James striped the original cherry nitro so the wood you can see under the ivory is the mahogany
Here’s a pic of the back which should give you a better view...
D3287ABD-5C60-424B-90EA-99A8CB8DCD55.jpeg