My PS4 died so I got a PS4 Pro

Discussion in 'Gaming' started by Felix, May 18, 2018.

1. Felix

Felix Addicted to Grunge

When I was playing Final Fantasy 14 online back in March, it was starting to makes really unhealthy noises. When the machine was in standby mode, it would start beeping for no reason and whenever I had FF on, the fans would be going at their max RPM, making so much bloody noise.

For xmas and my birthday, my folks got me a new LG 43" 4K HDR TV, which was solely for use with my consoles and PC. I had always planned to get a PS4 Pro down the line, but didn't expect things to happen so soon.

I was really pleased that I was able to get another Glacier White console and controller, as I don't like the black units.

I was really lucky that my old PS4 still worked well enough for me to do a data transfer/hard disc copy to my PS4 Pro. Once I had my accounts sorted, I decided to download a load of games I had bought years ago and never got in to. I ended up falling in love with The Witcher 3, which looks so amazing in 4k with the HDR.

I've been playing a number of single player RPG's, as I was too skint to pay for my Final Fantasy subscription, while paying my folks back for the PS4 Pro. I've also managed to complete the main storyline from "Horizon - Zero Dawn" , which is another game that really benefits from the higher power specs of the Pro.

I been playing Final Fantasy 14 again and with the option for 4k and better detail, it is like a totally different game. I also treated myself to Final Fantasy 15 - Royal Edition and my god, it is a beautiful game.

For the last couple of months I have had the Pro, I have actually been buying "new" games again, via the PSN Store and buying "boxed" games off Game's website, which is usually cheaper than buying the digital version more often than not. Also with the PS4 Pro having a faster and bigger , HD of 1TB, I have been able to store more games on my main account. What I really like is, even if the game is not running in 4k, you get the benefit of the frame rate going up a nice amount, which makes the games feel so much more responsive.

On paper, the level of upgrade isn't that massive between the base system and the Pro, but actually in game the difference is huge! Was really lucky to get my PS4 Pro on a deal via Amazon Prime, so I was able to get it for £347, which was a bit cheaper than it was going for in the electronic shops in Oxford. The day my PS4 died, which was a Sunday, Poppa and I went to about 6 different large shops and not one of them had any in stock.

Is anyone else thinking about upgrading to the Pro (I'm not a fan of the XBone , so don't see the point of buying the XB1X with it's really high technical spec and poor software support)? I was worried Sony were going to announce the launch of the PS5 pretty soon, but in the gaming press, Sony have stated that there are no plans to launch the next system this year or next.

@ssinine and Wade Garrett like this.
  2. Chili Hobbes

Chili Hobbes So much time, and so little to do.

I switched from Playstation (PSX and PS2) to Xbox 360 because my friends all did, but the RROD was a plague that saw off 4 Xbox's.

When the next gen consoles came out, I went straight back to PS4. Mine is still the same original one I had (mine is white too) and it's been a great workhorse but it's also getting hella loud (but no other performance issues) so I'm strongly thinking of upgrading. The only thing I need to find out is, I have a 2TB HD I installed and I need to make sure it's compatible with a Pro (90% sure it is).

Basically yeah I'm probably upgrading myself soon :)

Felix likes this.
  3. Felix

Felix Addicted to Grunge

Yeah the launch edition and the Pro share the same OS, so you can just install the HD , fire it up and you're away.

I've had all the previous playstations, but sold my PS3 and got myself a Halo 3 edition Xbox 360 and it red ringed on me, so the place I bought it from, sent me an identical unit to replace my fucked one, considering I got them seconhand from an eBay seller, that was really impressive. The 360 seemed to do online much better than the PS3, but thank god Sony sorted their shit out with the PS4.

You can open up the PS4 without voiding the warranty, as Sony and Microsoft were forced to change the terms of their warranty conditions. You can clean out the cooling system, which should help keep the fans from going full tilt all the time.

Personally, once a system starts to show it's having problems, it's only a matter of time until they need a refurbish or die. Mine was beeping error messages when it was in standby and when it was on the menu screens. I started off logging into my PSN account and downloading my games, then I read how to copy PS4 to PS4 Pro and it took 15 mins to copy and config my 500gb HD onto the 1TB one.

Chili Hobbes likes this.
  4. mirage2101

mirage2101 Well-Known Member

I have a ps4 with an old hd ready screen.
    A guy from sony said the ps4 is going into it's "final phase" now. While not an announcement for a ps5 it is a signal.

The wierd thing for me is that there was barely a reason to go from ps3 to ps4 for the customer (on the dev side it's a different story). So why go in an end phase for ps4? What's next? A slight increment in detail is not going to make my games better.

Personally I don't think I'll go to ps4 pro. I'd need to get a new tv just for gaming and I'm not in a rush. I don't play games as much as I used to anyway.

5. Felix

Felix Addicted to Grunge

I went from a 1080p 32” to a 43” 4K and you notice the difference much more. The PS5 won’t be about until 2020 and going by the specs, it’s a quantum leap over the PS4.

For the games I play, having the Pro made a much bigger difference as the PS4 couldn’t handle things. How the fuck a PS3 managed to even run Final Fantasy 14 is beyond me.

The PS3 was woefully able to handle online games and even though I owned one from early on, the Xbox360 did things better.

6. mirage2101

Ah that explains it, I had a 360 :)

I agree from a systems perspective that the ps3 and 4 are miles apart. But honestly in game quality? Last of us is still the best game I played on my ps4.

Felix likes this.
  7. Felix

Felix Addicted to Grunge

I still haven't played it! For me, The Witcher 3 and Horizon Zero Dawn are by far the greatest games I've played.

The good thing about the PS4/PS4 Pro, is it's much easier to port PC games (the XBone, does this very well). The PS4 Pro seems to be close to playing games in a very similar level as an ultra screen quality, but the FPS (frames per second) suffers. The XB1X, crushes the PS4 spec wise, yet games are better for the PS4 Pro, due to Sony making up for their mistake with the PS3 and giving the developers much better support and focusing the system on games, rather than multimedia like Microsoft did with the XBone.

8. mirage2101

I just bought zero dawn in a special offer. But I need to finish monster hunter world first :)

Felix likes this.
  9. Felix

Felix Addicted to Grunge

It's a stunning game and the storyline is really good. A lot of replayability once the main story is done.

10. A-D-L

A-D-L Northern Monkey

Don't think i'll change. PS4 is still going and won't be getting PSVR. There's a few games i'll be picking up for the PS4 though. Namely God Of War and Kingdom Hearts.

Felix likes this.
  11. Felix

Felix Addicted to Grunge

I would only recommend getting a PS4 Pro if you are getting into Play Station or if like me you've had to replace a faulty PS4.

There is a slight improvement with PSVR if you're using a PS4 Pro, otherwise it's just not worth getting one for it. PSVR while itself is pretty good "For the money" , is not that amazing, as cost saving was done with the screens and materials on the headset. If you look at the specs of what the PS5 is going to have, you can tell that the PSVR that will work with it, is planned to be as good as an Oculus Rift.

Looking at most of the PSVR games currently out, there is nothing that is really amazing and most of the stuff that is out is just like a Demo, rather than what I would call a proper game.

12. A-D-L

A-D-L Northern Monkey

Yeah but that's still a ways off with the chance of Rift 2 or Vive 2 being released around that time and whatever PC graphics card will be available will do VR better than the console. My PC has a 1080 in at and most of gaming friends use Rift for VR so when I go it'll be that most likely. What I have tried has been fun but i've yet to experience that must have VR game.

PS4 is all about dem exclusive games right now.

Felix likes this.
  13. Felix

Felix Addicted to Grunge

If I was able to sit in a chair and game, I would build myself another gaming PC. I almost got the PSVR to play Gran Tourismo Sport and Ace Combat 7 with, but GT Sport only allows you to race a single AI car in VR mode and Ace Combat 7 has been delayed by almost a year now.

Because I get motion sickness pretty easy, I was worried I might not be able to use a VR headset for any length of time, so I was trying to borrow one first to see how I got on with it. But the only person in Oxfordshire that I knew who had one, was unable to get the set to me as he lives right out in the sticks and I couldn't drive due to being on a high level of opiates.

Even if I still only had my Phillips 32" 1080p TV, I would notice an improvement with image quality and a big leap in FPS with the PS4 Pro. When I upgraded to my LG 43" 4K HDR TV over Christmas and my birthday, the PS4 would just run so hot every time I played a game with HDR active and it was just struggling to keep itself cool. PS4's are so fucking loud when all the fans are going flat out. It was starting to make bad clicking noises in the fans to start, then it was beeping at me in a series of bleeps, even when the unit was on standby. I think if I clean it out, I might have been able to keep it a live for a while longer, but I decided to save myself the headache of it totally dieing and trying to recover everything and got myself the Pro while I could still fire up the old system and copy everything over so I didn't have to reconfigure all of the screen settings etc etc etc.

A-D-L likes this.
  14. mirage2101

I think VR is a great thing and one of these days on of the big names will get it right. But currently it's in demo area. I played that horror game, silent hill i believe? And that was great. I'd love to sit in a spacefighter and fly missions but the reality is that AAA games don't really use VR that well.
    And I get sick :)
    So sign me up for the next generation but for now.. meh.

Felix likes this.
  15. Felix

Felix Addicted to Grunge

Are you thinking of Resident Evil 7? That's the one where you're in the creepy farm house where the family members chase you around as you explore and try and find your way out. Or are you talking about the Demo they did for "The Silent Hills" , which was just amazing to play/watch. Kogemia (the dude who use to work for Konami and created Metal Gear Solid and Silent Hill) and some big shoot film director, were in the early stages of making a new Silent Hill game, but it all fell apart, thanks to Konami royally fucking it all up!

I love flight sims a great deal and while Ace Combat is an arcade combat sim, the VR tech demos I saw on YouTube a couple of years ago, made it look so amazing to play.

16. mirage2101

resident evil 7!

I'm getting old I can't keep al these things in my head anymore ;-)

Felix likes this.
  17. Felix

Felix Addicted to Grunge

I'm too chickenshit to play that game. I am really bad with anything horror related, be it games or films! I still think an old PC game called F.E.A.R was one of the most atmospheric games that just had me shitting bricks throughout the whole game.

@ssinine likes this.
  18. mirage2101

oh fear was great!!
    The tiles coming off the wall in the first part.

Most games eventually fall down though because you overpower the content.
    Dark souls and bloodborne had me on the edge of my seat at the start too. But once you're over the initial hump and get grip on the mechanics it's all pretty doable. Or at least not scary anymore because you don't lose as much compared to the start.

There was that alien game, isolation i believe, that was scary as #$@%#$.

I remember an alien game back in the 90s that had me use up all my ammo before I ever saw the first alien :)

@ssinine and Felix like this.
  19. Felix

Felix Addicted to Grunge

Oh fuck, I forgot about that bloody Alien game lol! There is no way on earth I would ever played that game, the stress of knowing that thing could be round the next corner is just too much for my wimpy arse to handle!

Robstafarian likes this.
  20. Robstafarian

Robstafarian The Good and Wise Call Me “Rufus”

I really wanted to try it, as a matter of appreciating craftsmanship, but my startle reflex is not game in the least.

Felix likes this.