My new drop in the ocean of tones (NGD)

beans & rice

I've really grown to enjoy what I do with my single coil guitars. My favorites are the Duo and my cheapass tele. Those are definitely what I grab most often because they just sound and feel the best for what I like playing most. That meant that ultimately I should have a proper Strat. Clearly. :p:bounce:

Looked at G&L and some other options while I talked myself into buying something new, but when I saw this pearly sea foam sucker I knew I had to try it.
Picked up the one at GC down the street and liked it. Tried it a few more times over the later part of last year, and was sure that would be it. Considered a trade, but when that was obviously not going to work in my favor, I decided to just put some cash back for it. Tax refund made up my mind to buy as soon as it came through.

We were out and about yesterday and went to the GC downtown when Mrs. Beans said I should just get it then. That, of course, meant I should panic and totally rethink my decision and see if there was something else in that range that appealed to me as much. :frog: But there was nothing at that one that hit me right. So we stopped in the one by the house and I actually found a few that I dug. There was a blue Epiphone LP with coil splitters that felt and sounded pretty nice. There was a vintage white Squier J Mascis Jazzmaster that I enjoyed a lot.
I picked up the relic purple tele, but it was not only beyond my price range, but didn't appeal to me in look or feel. I realized then that they didn't even have the Strat I wanted. It must have sold.
Well, fuck. I almost walked out with the Jazzmaster, but decided that would feel like settling. I would have felt there was something still lacking. So, we left and I wasn't sure what I was gonna do. They have a lot of Strats, but most were either beyond me or not appealing.

Looked online after getting home - because I checked availability damn near daily the last month. :D It said they still had one at my store, so I called, and was told they did. The guy said he had the floor model and would get it cleaned up and looked over for me. I said I'd be there in an hour, halfway thinking that would give him time to scramble and figure out he really didn't have it in stock. But, they're only a 5-minute drive, so I took a shot to see what he'd come up with.

They did have one, it was still sealed in its shipping box. He had it behind the counter, waiting. I was concerned, since it wasn't the one I've played, and have read a few reviews where QC was a little spotty on some things. So, after looking it over and feeling frets and the neck, I bought it. If we didn't get along, it'd go back and I'd find something else.

But after 3 hours of playing it plugged in last night, I love this thing. Unplugged, it sustains for a long time with a pleasing acoustic tone. Great weight, and the neck feels the same, a little thickness to it which is nice. Got a decent listen to every position, clean, and it's a beaut.

Then, I hit the Swollen Pickle switch. Fuckdamn, that's fuzzy magic! :cold:

So, here's the trio. I guess I'm a fucking green, single coil guy. :D

Gonna swap out the filthy strings for some 9s, though these do sound good.

It's easier to make up my mind about offloading a few others now. I've got my core. I'd really only like to keep the Chapman and Agile LP aside from these.

There was a used Revstar with Bigsby there that Mrs. Beans tried to convince me to get. She really liked it, but it just ain't my bag. :D

Last edited:

Tankman

Awesome! I know the feeling of panic when your wife says to just buy the gear you want. It's highly confusing and you always feel like it's a trick of some sorts.

Nice score on the guitar, but uhm...what is it? Is it the Classic 50's Strat?

metromusic

Negative, I am a meat popsicle
FuckYES!
Can’t beat a Strat #FACT
And that one looks absolutely delicious:cold:
Welcome to the Strat Club @beans & rice
It’s like Fight Club but we tell EVERYONE about it.

And we have the best inbetween sounds.
AND the best biscuits.
:)
The first rule of Strat Club is: You talk about Strat Club. The second rule of Strat Club is: You talk about Strat Club. Third rule of Strat Club: Someone yells "Stop!", goes limp, taps out, the jam is over. Fourth rule: Only two Strats to a jam.

beans & rice

Awesome! I know the feeling of panic when your wife says to just buy the gear you want. It's highly confusing and you always feel like it's a trick of some sorts.
:D :bounce: :D

Nice score on the guitar, but uhm...what is it? Is it the Classic 50's Strat?
Nothing special. Just a standard.

But, damn, the noises I'm getting out of this are so satisfying. I was off yesterday and had it in my hands most of the day from about 8am to 11pm, and it inspired a lot of ideas just because it sounds so damn good.

beans & rice

They have standards in Surf Green nowadays? That's awesome! I have to look into that.
It's a limited edition finish. No idea if it's a Guitar Center exclusive, or if Fender has them elsewhere.

When I traded for a Duo Sonic last year, I had asked for the limited edition Diamond Yellow finish. They also made a surf green pearl, like the Strat, along with the regular finishes. The place I was trading with only ordered a few of the regular surf green styles after we talked, though, but I decided to take it anyway. I didn't want them to change their mind on the trade. :D Besides, the one I got has 2 single coils, the pearl finishes came with a bucker at the bridge. So, I was good with that.
But I wanted to make sure this time I got the damn pearl finish I wanted. :cool: