My ML3 Modern Standard - Lovin it.

Discussion in 'Chapman Guitars' started by Remy, Aug 10, 2018.

1. Remy

Remy Middle Aged Newb

TL : DR - I love it.

I just got the Incarnadine red one. Looks counted for a lot in the decision, I figured that things like the pickups and tuners could get changed later and just because the Pro came with "better" units didn't mean I'd be less likely to replace them. The Pro color/finish options didn't speak to me the way this one did in the pictures and in person it is even better. The pics aren't making it look better than it is, they're just trying to keep up.

I got mine through GC and if they did any setup it didn't stick when it comes to the neck. Bridge adjustments were fine though, once I got the truss rod adjusted. I've gotten about an hour of playing time, as a newbie that was enough to leave my fingers not so happy with me, but it was worth it. I'm loving this guitar. The feel and the look are awesome. The pickups are too different from my Epiphone to really have an opinion on yet. I'm going to need to make EQ changes that I didn't bother with yet. The same settings as I have been using result in a pretty bright sound that eagerly moves into crunchy and then distorted as you push things. My neck pickup on the Epiphone Les Paul Traditional Pro II gets a nice mellow tone at my usual settings (Mustang GT40, custom settings, so no point detailing) and the ML3 brightens up and adds a touch of crunch faster. You can roll off the crunch but it's never quite as smooth just from gain/volume changes. The bridge pickup is even more aggressive. If I remember right the Epi has Anico magnets and the ML3 Standard has ceramics, the difference in tone is noticeable. I'm tempted to change out just the neck and leave the bridge pickup. The contrast in tone would be fun. I'm in no rush though, and will mess with my settings on the amp to see what kind of tones I can get. One of the beauties of a modeling amp with a bunch of built in effects is being able to drastically alter your tone off the same guitar without having to own a ton of amps. Even if I don't change anything there, I'm good with the sound for the near future. I'm focused on learning the basics not fine tuning a particular tone.

Speaking of basics and tone, the noise suppression work on this guitar is first rate. The shielding paint and grounding work clearly does the job. When I play at my desk I usually get a fair bit of noise due to the amount of electronics facing the guitar. I had to crank things up pretty far before it was noticeable and even then it was not bad at all. That's an under mentioned plus in my book. I use the selector switch on my Epi as a kill switch, I was concerned that not having that option would mean regularly rolling off the volume when I wasn't actively playing. No such issue. Obviously higher gain/volume situations will change that, but if a Squire Telecaster Bullet was a 9 for noisy and the Epiphone was a 5, the ML3 is a 2.

2. Simon Park

Simon Park Well-Known Member

Glad to hear you're enjoying your new guitar.

I've also been impressed with the build quality of mine overall, and the electronics of it in particular. It's so, so quiet when you plug it in - it's quieter than any other guitar I own, or have ever owned, in terms of that. The necks are good, the frets are beautifully finished, the radius is extremely comfortable - I won't blather on. I love mine as well (Hot Rod). I've had it about a year now and it's easily the one I play the most. I have newer guitars that I thought would become more favoured...nope. The two newer ones sit in their cases most of the time. If I were in the market for another electric guitar I'd be looking at a Chapman before I looked at literally any other brand.

3. Remy

Remy Middle Aged Newb

Yeah, the quiet really shocked me when I noticed it. I had switched to an amp setting with a lot more gain and actually got a little hum and that made me realize I hadn't had any until then. I didn't mess with it too much, but rolling off the volume a bit took a fair bit out and I know that amp setting has some even without a guitar. It's a modeling amp, but it's simulating the noise the real one had at those settings.

I do really like the neck. My fretboard and frets won't win any awards but are above average from what I've seen of this price range. Certainly while playing I didn't have any complaints. I really like the rolled edge too. My Epi is bound and feels good but I think I prefer this style, it keeps the material feel consistent while adding comfort and smoothness.

I'll definitely be keeping an eye out. The ML1 traditional standard is tempting now but I think I'll wait and see what the selection is next year. I want to learn more and get a better feel for what I like in tone before I spend much more. I'm looking forward to messing with things this weekend and getting some presets on the amp and in Bias FX that I like with the ML3. What I have now is great if you want just a touch crunchy brightness on up to pretty high gain stuff. No shocker, it's a Tele style guitar and the pickups suit that even though they're humbuckers.

Seriously, it's really gonna be tough to resist ordering another Chapman when I return the Epi rather than keeping the money. I just know that it would be better spent elsewhere on guitar stuff if I was going to keep it in play. An Orange Micro Dark and a cabinet wouldn't be a poor choice, for example. Bias FX and the GT40 are both nice, but aren't the same.

4. Robstafarian

Robstafarian The Good and Wise Call Me “Rufus”

I would love to help you select an amp when the time comes, and you will find a sticky thread in the Gear section with preliminary questions to answer (in a thread of your own making, not the thread which contains the questions).

5. Alan O'hagan

Alan O'hagan Well-Known Member

Those new ML3 pros look completely awesome to me glad you’re happy with yours.
    I had the ML3 RC a while back - yep should’ve kept that one

6. Remy

Remy Middle Aged Newb

Rob, thanks. I saw that thread. Right now I'm firmly resisting that urge but the day is coming. :)

Alan, I like the pros look overall but the wood/color selection right now just isn't doing it for me like the standard did. I like the contrasting neck through on the ML2 Pro in red, but I need to cool it for now and focus on learning to play. lol I can't blame any issues on hardware at this point.

Robstafarian and Alan O'hagan like this.
  7. Remy

Remy Middle Aged Newb

I got staggered Hipshot open locking tuners. I used the plates rather than fill and redrill, no issues. I may fill the holes from the string trees, or maybe just use a dot of glass black paint on the visible wood. I don't mind the holes, but having them jump out at me due to the color contrast is a bit much.
    Just a heads up to anyone considering this, you can't really use non locking staggered tuners, you probably won't have room for the low E and A strings. Maybe without the plate and without the washer on the face, but there really isn't a ton of room there. For all I know, no one does non locking staggered tuners so it's a non issue, but...
    They look great, they worked great. No tuning issues. I used D'Addario NYXL 10-46 strings. I'm not sure if I like these or the Ernie Ball's better. I can feel the difference, but I'm not sure which I prefer yet. The practical side of me says to just stick with the Ernie Ball's going forward since if I don't have a strong preference it's silly to pay almost triple.

8. Alan O'hagan

Alan O'hagan Well-Known Member

Yep