Musical muses (Or tales from the Emerald Isle)

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself' started by Paul Wickham, Nov 26, 2016.

1. Paul Wickham

Paul Wickham Oh no you didn't!

Well getting back on track, I shelved the last effort and the next one...Lyrics just not coming. Then remembered another track an instrumental with a distinctly African vibe that I had been meaning to get back to. What do you know lyrical ideas started to form for that. So lets see where that goes. Domestic duties will get in the way for the next day or so, but that may be no bad thing.

Wuzza and Robstafarian like this.
  2. Paul Wickham

Well here is a surprise. I have a mate who is an independent film producer. I have worked with him in an entirely unrelated to music role before. We met because I used to sword fight, both teaching and doing demonstrations. Long story short he needed a suit of armour I had one, we met. Later I co-produced a promo for a film on Vlad the Impaler that never got made and that was it. The other day he put out a call on Farcebook for songwriters with material he could use on his latest film. Okay I thought nothing ventured nothing gained so gave him a link to my Soundcloud. He picked three of my songs for the soundtrack!

3. Wade Garrett

Wade Garrett I am the projectionist.

Awesome. :D That's not something you read every day!

Paul Wickham and Robstafarian like this.
  4. Paul Wickham

Ha ha. No I guess I forget that is not the the norm for most folk. Swords and sword fighting were part of my life for many years. Took me all over doing demonstrations, been involved in a couple of films and a slew of documentaries. Here for your amusement is me in said armour in Malta entertaining the crowds.

Attached Files:

5. Paul Wickham

Well you never know when the muse will strike, and struck it it. Having given up of the last couple of efforts that were just not doing it for me. This popped up. Lyrics just came as if they were always that easy. That's the fun and the frustration of working on your own. When it's flowing there is nothing better, when it's not it's a waiting game.
    Anyway for the curious, I will I guess post it in the appropriate thread, so pop over if it your want and have a gander at Stone Cold Crazy. (Love that title)

Robstafarian likes this.
  6. Paul Wickham

Well it's been good to have the EJ200 back...Or version two of it. I had developed quite a liking for what is a very reasonably priced guitar. The last one I had changed the strings to Martins, and man it really came to life. Such an easy guitar to play as well. Also enjoying my Les Paul Studio, on sale and so well affordable. The Burnie I picked up at a reduced price is also working it's way into my affections more than I expected.

Really when I look back a few decades at the dire planks that cost similar money we really do live in something of a golden age. While the top end has got kinda silly, down at the mid and lower end, it really is tough to buy a bad guitar.

Robstafarian likes this.
  7. Paul Wickham

I really am the worlds worst at labelling tracks in my DAW. Projects full of Track (x). Occasionally I get all professional (as I always am working on other peoples projects, and as I taught when I taught such things) It is though depressingly rare.

Yesterday in an attempt to finally get a grip I added pictures of all my guitars and miscellaneous magic boxes to the custom icon list. Will I use them? This remains to be seen, but I'm hoping that if I go to the bother of adding an icon to the track of what I'm playing, I might also type some informative words.

It's all down to those heads you wear working solo. The Artistic Head is too busy being artistic to worry about typing actual words. Create track, set input...GO. But Artist Head has an ego, he will want pictures of his lovely guitars, so fingers crossed. Just maybe he can be induced to give Pre-Mix Head a helping hand, and that will make Mix Heads job so much easier, and replacing scratch parts less hit and miss.

Everyday in every way...

Robstafarian and Wade Garrett like this.
  8. Wade Garrett

Wade Garrett I am the projectionist.

This might be familiar behaviour! :D

Robstafarian and Paul Wickham like this.
  9. Paul Wickham

Well the Fender bass has gone off to my local(ish) Guitar tech. Whatever is wrong is beyond my skills. So continuing on with the Ibanez bass. The last set of strings I put on it were a disaster, can't remember where I got them, but I suspect it was my most local music shop. Not a place I go often as it is pretty dire unless you are looking for really cheap starter gear.

So when dropping of the Fender I took a look at what that place had. The Fender has been rocking D’Addario NY XL’s for a while I really like them. They didn't have them but had some RotoSound Nexus. New to me, but Kevin the shop owner said one of his customers a real bassist swore by them...They are black! The Ibanez is white! How could I not?

Turns out to have been a good move. They sound great and look deadly.

20170619_140603_012.jpg

10. Paul Wickham

Well peeps...The Fender Bass has returned. Turns out the electrolytic caps had given up the ghost and leaked their contents over the circuit boards. So they have been replaced and the boards cleaned. My goodness what a difference. Obviously the sound has been deteriorating over time and like any slow deterioration, passed unnoticed until the pops and crackles arrived.

My Trike has also been in for repair. The mountings for the exhaust had all failed cracking the down pipes from the manifold and leaving the whole system free floating. That too has been fixed and at an incredibly fair price and returned the same day. So yesterday was a good day.

Poseidon and Robstafarian like this.
  11. Paul Wickham

Well one of those days when a song comes out of the blue. I was having a clear out of some of those half baked ideas that tend to build up, you know the kind. Eight bars of something that seemed like a good idea at the time. I always take a listen then most time delete. During this process I came across a kinda Eagles type vibe thing. It still peaked my interest so worked on it some more, got the verse chorus structure down and picked up the pen...Low and behold lyrics arrived.
    Then the most singalong chorus I think I have written. The last verse was problematic, but came to me during a bathroom break. Heh I'll take it where I get it. Now the hard work of licking the vocals and harmonies into shape.

Wade Garrett likes this.
  12. Paul Wickham

If the few who follow this thread would like to hear the song refered to above, pop over to the soundcloud thread where I have just posted a link. Bring a hanky. :D

Robstafarian likes this.