ML1 Pro 2017 Quality Doubts

Discussion in 'Chapman Guitars' started by Blamad, Jan 26, 2018.

1. Blamad

Blamad Member

Hey guys, I've recently bought my new ML1 Pro and I have question to you as owners of 2017 models.
    I've had to order my Sun model twice becouse first one came to me in awfully bad condition. Fretboard was cracked on one of the frets, there were numerous woodchips that were stuck in guitars finish, sides of the guitar were erratic to the point that they were sticking to the clothes, maple was cracked on the side of guitar, there were marks of glue over the neck and back of the guitar looked like someone throwed it on a sand. It wasn't B-stock guitar just to mention.

I've solved that with my supplier and now the second one just came in. The problem is it still has a few woodchips under its finish that are noticable and can be easily felt with palms of hand, the fretboard is a bit irregular at the edges (it's still flat on strings surface tho).

So question is: how was your guitar looking when it arrived? Am I being too picky or my supplier is trying to sell B-stock guitars without mentioning that? I live quite far from them and right now I'm unable to pay them a visit personally, I'm curious how good overall Chapmans guitar quality is?

2. Djorll

Djorll ML-3-RC owner, road trip to Thomann in project

I didn't bought any guitar of the new range yet, but my ML3RC (first batch via Andertons) was absolutely flawless. I don't think you're too picky.

Simon Park likes this.
  3. everfreetree

everfreetree I... I like trees.

Section 10-iC of 'Muricaland. (Tennessee)
    Counter question... where did you buy your ML-1 from?
    Their QC shouldn't be slipping that badly.
    That doesn't sound kosher at all.

4. Blamad

Blamad Member

Both came from the only guitar store offering Chapman equipment in Poland.

Don't get me wrong, guitar sounds amazing and it looks stunning, I'm just suprised with lack of attention to those small details. Once you'll have a closer look it looks a bit sloppy.

IMG_20180126_202658.jpg IMG_20180126_203309.jpg IMG_20180126_203320.jpg IMG_20180126_202930.jpg IMG_20180126_202658.jpg IMG_20180126_203001.jpg

Btw. should there be any noticeable difference between second (mid top) and third (middle) tone switch position? They sound the same to me now while others differ significantly.

I still have possibility to return that guitar and order one from other store (thomann?) if it's second miss, just asking for other opinions before i'll tear that wrap off pickups.

Last edited: Mar 13, 2018
    everfreetree likes this.
  5. Alpheus

Alpheus RNA MUSIC OWNER

YouTube Channel:
    RNAMUSICShortStShred
    The guitars coming in direct from the factory aren't perfect. It's up to the retailer to sort through what is acceptable for their customers, and what isn't.

Robstafarian, Djorll and everfreetree like this.
  6. Djorll

Djorll ML-3-RC owner, road trip to Thomann in project

Alpheus is right, and this fret job is not acceptable

7. Blamad

Blamad Member

Of course Alpheus is right. After the first ML1 they told me they'll pick the best guitar they have and this one came in, that's why i'm asking you about its overall quality. I really hope it's poor retrailers customer service, not the Champans issue in general.
    Thank you guys for your feedback, i'll try with different shop after i'll return this guitar.

Robstafarian and everfreetree like this.
  8. Tetanus

Tetanus Well-Known Member

the small imperfections at the pickup... can happen. they could have done a better job to cover it up, though...
    anyway. That fretboard edge is horrible. I never ever seen such a poor quality. not even on the budget, starter pack Ibanez Gio series...

9. everfreetree

That's because, much like on many Squiers, they don't bother putting a file to the fret ends in the factory.
    The marks look like they went way too deep with the file, pressing into the wood, and not using anything to protect it when they did so. It usually happens when there's a deadline, and things are rushed, or someone's hands aren't too steady that day (speaking from experience... it looks like fretwork I did, and that isn't a compliment).
    At the very least, it means they bothered to dress the fret ends, so that's nice... they just didn't do a very good job of making it look pretty, and that's not so nice.

Robstafarian likes this.
  10. Tetanus

Tetanus Well-Known Member

I know how to dress frets and file fret ends. I stated it to the OP to send this guitar back.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

11. everfreetree

Uh... I think you missed the point of my post, bud.
    I wasn't questioning your knowledge or attacking your statement, I was letting the fella know why those marks might be there, compared to an Ibanez GIO, and taking a crack at my own personal failures in fretwork in the process.
    No one else really mentioned it clearly before.
    Sorry if you thought I meant anything else.

And again, yes, if the look of it bothers you, for what you paid for it, you should return it. Simple as that.
    Maybe get them to send pictures of the guitar they want to replace it with prior to them shipping it out. Not sure if they'd be willing to do so, but most shops I've ordered stuff from don't seem to mind too much.

Simon Park, Tetanus and Robstafarian like this.
  12. Alpheus

Alpheus RNA MUSIC OWNER

YouTube Channel:
    RNAMUSICShortStShred
    The Chapmans definitely needed more work than any other company we carried. I assume because of the nature of factory direct. Every other company we carry has a team of QC techs taking care of the guitars before we receive them.

13. Blamad

Blamad Member

Hey there, it's been a while. I recently received my final Chapman ML1 Pro and I thought I'll finish my story of how I got it.
    After you guys helped me out with my second Chapman (the one with bad fretjob), I've ordered the same ML1 from Thomann. Since I'm ordering to Poland, it took about total 7 days to deliver it. With all my luck so far, they messed up my order and sent me wrong model, ML3 Pro.. Nice model tho, I really liked it's overall finish and long sustain. It was very comfortable to play with.
    Nonetheless, I had to wait for replacement (I think it's worth mentioning that after I called their service center they immediatley sent me next guitar without waiting for ML3 to arrive to them, big thumbs up for that!). After another week my 4th Chapman arrived. Again, faulty one. Guitar had no sustain at all, you could play empty string and they would last forever but after I've tried to play any fret - 1 to 3 second tops sound. I was curious what was the issue so I took it to my local luthier, turns out those were badly mounted frets (some of them were so high above fretboard you could fit fingernail under it) which caused notes to die immediatley.
    This time I had to wait till faulty guitar arrived to them, they wanted to check it before sending replacement. So yeah, about.. 10 days? of waiting for another guitar (one last shot for Chapman) for me.
    Finally, IT arrived few days ago. It came with messed up strings (high E switched with B), broken case lock and tone switch mounted so low that it scratches guitar body once I'm turning tone all the way down (luthier checked it, barely managed to lift it so it's no longer blocked once turned down.. Seems it has been glued to potentiometer for some reason). Strings can be changed, I'm not planning to replace or remove tone know in the nearest future, so those two faults are tolerable..
    So yup, after 5th attempt I've finally got my Chapman guitar. Sounds amazing, looks amazing, feels amazing.. But damn, I've had a looong way to get that one sweet guitar.

So, the bottom line is: Chapmans really do need that quality control, it was far too hard to get guitar without any critical flaws.

Cheers Chappers!

Last edited: Mar 11, 2018
    Andeus and ten-foot-tryptych like this.
  14. Robstafarian

Robstafarian The Good and Wise Call Me “Rufus”

That sounds like Thomann is not doing any QC, whatsoever. You might be amazed to learn the mistakes which other brands make in their mass production: the difference is that the customer never sees them—unless they shop the factory buyouts on Guitar Fetish.

everfreetree likes this.
  15. Blamad

Blamad Member

Yeah, to be honest I've learned quite a lot over past weeks about guitar quality issues and how hard it actually is to get well crafted guitar. Not only for Chapmans but any other brand really. As you said, most of those faulty ones never reach customer but in the case of Chapmans.. Well, I've got a feeling that giving up on internal QC and relaying on shops QC might not be the best solution, not everyone is as stubborn as me while buying new guitar.
    I'm suprised though that no one really had problems I've had with my purchase.

16. Brad_A

Brad_A Member

Agreed. Any Chapman I’ve gotten my hands on was pure awesome. Some of that credit goes to the store I ordered them from. They came nicely set up and were in perfect condition.

17. ADK

ADK Number of lost picks (2018 Season) = 3

It makes you wonder how much elbow grease Andertons are putting into each guitar to make them sale-able.

This could be negative for the Chapman brand, I can't see Guitar Center having the time, or inclination to QC guitars... hmmm

Blamad and Robstafarian like this.
  18. DrKarnivore

DrKarnivore Browsing your web and SMS history Staff Member

This is why I`d never buy a guitar over the internet, they`re too variable!

19. Brad_A

Brad_A Member

I doibt it’s any different than any other brand coming out of that factory. I’m sure the shipping and climate change from Korea will affect the majority of the guitars when they arrive to their stores.