Media 'frame'

Discussion in 'Geeks Unite' started by DrHankWanfordSnr, Mar 18, 2017.

1. DrHankWanfordSnr

DrHankWanfordSnr That's not new, its always been there.

I've been clearing out tat from my garage. One of the things I came across was a laptop bag of dead laptops*. One of them was a particularly nice HP pavillion with a shiny widescreen display. After reading an article on lifehacker.com about repurposing laptop screens, I hatched a plan.

I've removed the LCD and ordered an LCD controller for it (£20 from 'China'). This adds a few types of video input and some control buttons. I can fit the lcd into a picture frame as a case. Whooppee !

For content I have the option of adding either Raspberry Pi I have in my work drawer left over from a PhD student, or a Google Chromecast. Either could be powered by taking a 5v feed from the LCD controller.

It could act as a 2nd display for the kids laptops. A screen for the rear seat of the car (if I make a cable to go from the head unit to the back of the car) or a cool picture frame for the living room.

I'll photograph progress as it goes.

* no hard drives or memory, those were removed when the laptops died.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Mar 18, 2017
    lupinehorror and Robstafarian like this.
  2. Wade Garrett

Wade Garrett I am the projectionist.

That's a cool idea man!

3. Sustainerplayer

Sustainerplayer On the edge of breakup

The display on display. That's mighty meta of you man! :cool:

DrHankWanfordSnr likes this.
  4. DrHankWanfordSnr

DrHankWanfordSnr That's not new, its always been there.

http://www.lifehacker.co.uk/2017/03...op-specific-second-screen-with-recycled-parts

This was the website

So. Time to test the Raspberry Pi. Dug through my 'bits' drawer and found 'some' SD cards. Picked a victim. Installed RasPlex. Connected up the raspberry Pi to my monitor (and found a spare keyboard). And KAPOW.

It works. And is controllable from Plex on my phone as a cast device. Effing Boomshanka !

Next step - waiting for the LCD controller to arrive. And finding 'just' the right picture frame in Wilkinsons/B&M.

Attached Files:

5. Wade Garrett

Wade Garrett I am the projectionist.

Epic!