Massively expensive overdrives?

Discussion in 'General' started by Alan O'hagan, Sep 2, 2018.

1. Alan O'hagan

Alan O'hagan Well-Known Member

Really - well that’s not good

2. Chu

Chu Well-Known Member

Well fuck me dead. I spend most of my time considering that you live on another planet to me and then come up with this! I can entirely appreciate where you are coming from, our own weaknesses often define the paths we take; that's a big part of why I also sing in bands as I don't believe my guitar playing skills to be good enough alone. So for you to revel in the way in which everything interacts instead of just wanting it to do its job, I can entirely appreciate. Now, if you'd only posted this sooner i could have saved shouting at you for five years....

3. Robstafarian

Robstafarian The Good and Wise Call Me “Rufus”

You quoted the wrong message. :p

Regardless,
    :hug:

Sustainerplayer likes this.
  4. Chu

Chu Well-Known Member

Didn't.

5. Robstafarian

Robstafarian The Good and Wise Call Me “Rufus”

Sorry, thought you were replying to this:

Chu likes this.
  6. Chu

Chu Well-Known Member

That would would fit too :0)

Robstafarian likes this.
  7. A-D-L

A-D-L Northern Monkey

Late to the day but i'm another Kemper owner. Unpowered toaster.

Using it with studio monitors though I did play it through a 4x12 a little.

Getting a good patch is as easy as scrolling. Find one you like, save it and be done. I hardly ever touch the EQ on any of the profiles I use save for the occasional gain adjustment or effects if I want to try something different.

I have played a buttload of tube amps in my search for something to do what I need. They were all close to being one trick ponies. There were some that did a fair bit well but then i'd have to adjust the shit out of them each time (or in Mesa's case, adjust four different channels and an EQ but that amp was pretty great). Then there was the fact they were too big, too loud, too heavy and just got in the way. I don't have much space and the sort of amp I needed was not going to fit at all let alone match my other criteria. The only thing I want to be limited by is how shit my hands are, since I can do something about that.

Now the Kemper is up there in price, sure, but it can also play every damn sound that has come into existence with guitar amps. I have a Dumble profile. That's about £50k right there if I wanted to play with one physically. It sits on my desk and records without a need for mics or turning it up super loud. Not to mention the sound you get from the headphone output is actually good. It is just so damn convenient.
    When I put it through the 4x12 (via the FX return of a solid state amp) it really did sound like an amp in the room. And the response was damn close if not identical. It really is something special.

Back to the original point though. Anyone remember this? Though I guess it's a more a gain/fuzz than an OD. Sounds pretty amazing though.

8. Alan O'hagan

bad alice likes this.
  9. DrJazztap

DrJazztap Well-Known Member

Over £100 for any pedal is a lot in my book. I managed to buy a 2x12 60w rivera combo for £200. Deals are around it's just patience and knowing what to go for. Especially now as people are moving towards axefx etc. Look at Adam selling his h&k head, that's a monster of an amp and iirc he is after £550? Mesa amps seem to have dropped in price second hand in the UK in the last few years.
    I paid £10 for a Japanese made 80s ibanez chorus pedal, sounds suitably cheesy. I paid £90 for a moog flanger pedal, I picked up a way huge pork loin for £70. I think £40-60 is a sweet spot for pedals.

I know what I like and what I'd use. A ring mod or whammy pedal isn't for me. So I've pretty much got my sounds sorted. I thought I needed an analogue delay pedal..having tried a few I realised that for me the old line6 echopark is the "one" a child could use it.

bad alice and Wade Garrett like this.
  10. Alan O'hagan

The thing is - I know you’re 100% right in my heart of hearts. I watched a few YT vids and got completely sucked in but those guys were amazing players anyway and I’m listening through an iPad and into headphones - blah, blah, blah.

*must be stronger Carlsberg doesn’t make guitar gear*

bad alice and Sustainerplayer like this.
  11. DrJazztap

You have to try the stuff out really, or know whether or not it's worth a punt. I kicked myself for not bidding on a Gibson Flying V Faded. It was on ebay and the chap wanted it collected from London, which put a lot of people off. That sold for £350! A bus to London is what £10? A day out and you get to pick up a Flying V!
    That's another tip, look for things which are "buyer collects", if you can drive or get a bus it can sometimes be worth it. I've seen a lot of gear quite cheap down in Cornwall, simply because it's the ass end of the country.

Nobody knows everything, I've caught a cold far too many times. Picked up a japanese arion compressor, which sounded like crap. I still have a few little pedals I'd like to get again: Synth wah, BB preamp, Q tron, Weeping Demon and a possibly a MXR Custom Comp.

Personally paying £340 for a pedal is bonkers to me, but that's just because I don't have that much disposable income. It' all relative. I've said it numerous times, it pains me to pay more than £1000 for a guitar. As soon as I get a job sorted I have been strongly thinking about getting a Gibson R9 (selling other guitars to get that one) but is an R9 going to be better than the DGT? And I'd lose a few sexy guitars in the process, It's because a lot of people have been scooping up the R8's for £2500. And as much as I like the DGT, besides from the tuning stability, for some reason I find it a bit sterile.

Alan O'hagan likes this.
  12. Chu

Chu Well-Known Member

I've not played a DGT but I have owned a couple of Gibson LPs, currently have a PRS Custom 22 and a couple of PRS SEs. The Custom is different to the LPs, slimmer, lighter, slinkier, more refined and maybe a little too nice, depending on what you're after. I got hold of another LP Standard after getting my Custom and found that it was definitely a case that the grass was greener and it didn't stay around but I still found something missing. I then got a SE Zach Myers, nodded it a fair bit and love it to pieces. It's everything I miss about a LP but suits me a little better. I think that for me, a singlecut with a high TOM style bridge will make me play in a certain way that I don't on a doublecut with trem.

But in answer to the question, no. A R9 will definitely not be better than a DGT but you might find something in it that you enjoy more.

Alan O'hagan likes this.
  13. doctorpaul

doctorpaul Negative, Ghost Rider, the pattern is full. Staff Member

Apples and oranges mate.
    Ok ... maybe oranges and satsumas, but you get my drift.
    I ADORE my PRS stash, but my R9 just has that ... ‘thing’.
    And in spades.
    Not a better guitar than the PRSs using any kind of measured logic, but it just gives more back ... makes me smile more.
    Keep the PRS, get the job you deserve, then get an R9.

That said, I’m traditionally full of shit, but you know that already :)

14. DrJazztap

Hmm I need to try one out at some point. The prs is great but I couldn't justify owning two.

15. mirage2101

mirage2101 Well-Known Member

But if one is good... two is better?

Chu and AdiHughes like this.
  16. Neilybob100

Neilybob100 Well-Known Member

Or buy a selection of cheap overdrive pedals that stack well together?

I'm not really a gigging guitarist (well maybe once or twice a year). [​IMG]

Sent from my EVA-L09 using Tapatalk

17. Alan O'hagan

Now you’re talking

bad alice and Sustainerplayer like this.
  18. Neilybob100

Neilybob100 Well-Known Member

Facebook buy n sell for £20 though the Mandragora was £25 plus postage

Sent from my EVA-L09 using Tapatalk

bad alice likes this.
  19. Alan O'hagan

25 English pounds! Outrageous :D

LOL my expensive Overdrive obsession has cooled down now but I do seem to be watching this with alarming frequency

bad alice likes this.