Marshall DSL Advice

So, I recently got myself a DSL1hr and a Victory vertical 2x12 with Celestion V 30s because, well, a friend of mine put me onto the whole new gear bug again after being happy with what I had for more or less a couple of years or so and, well, I guess I just figured 'why not'.

But then I came across the DSL20hr. And bought it. On the agreement that I can send whichever one I like the least back.
Problem is that I like both, for different reasons.

I only play at home, in my living room/study. It gets pretty loud for home playing, I guess, but nowhere near rehearsal loud.

Things I like about the 1w: instant Marshall Kerrang. Nice edge of compression. Does a very good impersonation of some great 70s tones, while easily being pushed into 80s territory.

Things I like about the 20w: less compressed, more depth of tone.

However, I can't make each amp do what the other one does, no matter how much I fiddle with the settings.
Hate the clean channel on each amp. Way too bright and completely unusable for pedals for me. But that's less of an issue right now, and I'll just treat these as single channel amps.

Any and all advice welcome -- I want to try and make a decision by Sunday!

Wuzza

long time lurker
Try a DSL5? :p
I actually like the clean channel on mine, but I exclusively use bucker equipped guitars. I also, think a bit strangely, rarely play with reverb/delay.
Have you tried an EQ pedal to tame the top end?

I pretty much use Humbuckers, too (Suhr Modern Pro, Ibanez JS, Custom Tele with Quarter Pounders - almost as solid as a humbucker in some respects). Haven't tried an EQ, as I don't have one to hand, but I've tried a klon with little to no gain, just so I had a three band EQ to play with. Not great results for me unfortunately - it's a very brittle and unresponsive clean. I guess I'm just used to something a little spongier?

Don't get too hung up or suckered by wattage. I had a DSL 1w but actually preferred my bigger amps - it ended up not getting much use and being sold on. Same for the 1w input on my IRT studio.
Give me a big amp with a decent vol circuit any day.....or a decent modeller (KPA, Helix, AxeFx)

Funnily enough I've been debating that one, but I can't justify it at the minute. Maybe if one of them had a good clean channel I'd be more likely to go that way.

After another afternoon of testing, it's actually looking like it's going to be the 1w, purely for the voicing -- which has surprised me!

Lonestar

SC Relics Guitars
Funnily enough I've been debating that one, but I can't justify it at the minute. Maybe if one of them had a good clean channel I'd be more likely to go that way.

After another afternoon of testing, it's actually looking like it's going to be the 1w, purely for the voicing -- which has surprised me!
The best Marshall cleans are on the JTM45 heads and Bluesbreaker combos and the JVM series although @Chu and @doctorpaul hold the 6100? anniversary series in high regard.

But lets face it.... Marshall and cleans? nah. Personally id keep the larger of the two amps. But my situation has changed in the last year where as before I was always searching for "that" sound at low volumes. A nice trick that always worked for me when using slightly bigger amps was to back off the presence control somewhat which gave the amp a "larger" sound. Cutting the top end seemed to give the illusion of more bass and it helped me tame my last DSL 100 watt head and cab.

Yeah, I'm tempted to have a small JTM clone built with a MV. Friend of mine bought a JVM last year which is perfect, great cleans, great crunch, perfect drive -- sadly it's just too big a head for my needs at the minute.

I was tempted -- but I usually like to try before I buy, especially given that I've seen them go from £450-£850 these past couple of years. I could get a used 205h for £400 ... which kinda makes me, well, it makes me want to buy a bigger house ;-)

Agreed -- but I guess that's the nature of the beast, at least with regards to limited run gear with good word of mouth. I've tried the JTM and the JMP, both killer amps - just not £750 each type of killer.