Linux Users Thread

Discussion in 'Geeks Unite' started by ThePriseInferno, Jan 9, 2017.

1. ThePriseInferno

ThePriseInferno Well... does it?

I keep a clean system - Only the running kernel and the one immediately before it. In this case I had already removed the "immediately before" kernel version before trying to do this and I was still short by a couple of MB. feelsbadman.jpg

It's okay - I had to nuke my Windows partition to expand the boot partition (couldn't shrink root or home because they're on a logical partition... forgot about that), so now I just have to re-install Windows and then re-install grub to sda and I should be golden.

We'll see.

Man, you guys make me feel really young. My first exposure to Linux was Ubuntu 8.04, which was a cakewalk compared to what y'all had to go through in Ye Olden Days.

Also, finally had enough of KDE and switched back to awesomewm, porting my config to awesome 4.0 specs in the process. Still less painful than losing my task manager on the toolbar every time I went from single-head to multi-head on my laptop.

Robstafarian likes this.
  2. ThePriseInferno

Updated the display in my laptop to a full 1080p IPS panel.

THE COLORS. OH LAWD, THE COLORS.

Brightness control doesn't work in Windows because of Lenovo's stupid display whitelist, but the brightness control works fine in Linux because the Linux intel display module doesn't care about EDID whitelists.

Yet another point in the Linux camp!

Robstafarian likes this.
  3. Magnus Pym

Magnus Pym Grudges rot the soul

I'm considering getting an external monitor for my laptop (Lenovo T410) to get some more screen real estate. This sounds like it might be a good alternative was it difficult?

4. ThePriseInferno

Honestly, to me, an internal panel upgrade and an external monitor solve two totally different issues. I wanted better viewing angles and a better resolution and better color representation, and that's what I got. My screen real-estate hasn't changed too much, so if I wanted more real estate I'd still go with the external monitor for sure.

But to answer your question - figuring out compatible panels will be the most difficult part, otherwise (in theory) it's as simple as "unbolt the old monitor and bolt on the new monitor" (this is all I had to do). Realistically, there may be some cable swaps to be done, and I have no experience with the purchase or compatibility of such cables, so YMMV.

Let us know how it turns out if you try, though!

Robstafarian and Magnus Pym like this.
  5. ThePriseInferno

Recent accomplishments: installing Arch on UEFI with a GPT. Never done that before - always switched the MB to legacy mode and used DOS like always.

Obviously userland never really notices changes like this, but I know, and it feels good to be not using a technology that has been obsolete since 2011 or earlier.

Oh, and for those playing along at home, I've left awesomewm and am back on Cinnamon again.

Robstafarian likes this.
  6. ElectricSaga

ElectricSaga Bearded person

Just noticed this entire forum section. I have been an avid GNU/Linux user for around 13 years but also used Unices like Solaris (in Sun computers), Open Solaris, and my favorite, FreeBSD, which was my everyday desktop OS for a while. Linux-wise I started out with Red Hat 9, switched to Fedora, and then tried out and stayed with Debian Testing, which has been my system of choice for over a decade.

I used to be more of a Linux enthusiast, and coupled with a computing major it resulted in lots of unnecessarily nerdy hobbies like compiling my own custom kernel. I did briefly work as a sysadmin setting up stuff like NFS, DHCP, DNS, LDAP, etc., in a parallel computing cluster, which I also used to run my undergrad work.

I'm more of a passive user now, I still do bits of MPI/OpenMP programming but my work day mostly consists of mathematical modeling and analysis, and eventually these things become C++ programs that I run to get experimental results and then write the corresponding academic papers in LaTeX.

I could not imagine working in Windows, but at home I still have a dual-boot setup and use Win 7 as my gaming platform. Most of the games I play are now on Linux though, so things are looking good.

At home we're both very pro-Linux. My wife used KXStudio on her laptop before but recently switched to UbuntuStudio, which she uses for recording with a combination of LMMS, Ardour and other tools, and is also her normal/main OS.

Magnus Pym, @ssinine and Robstafarian like this.
  7. Robstafarian

Robstafarian The Good and Wise Call Me “Rufus”

:cool:
    :hug:

(Posted via Ubuntu Studio 16.04.4)

8. digitalscream

digitalscream Well-Known Member

Here because I'm unable to sleep again, so a Linux update...

Currently recording our debut album (it's only taken this band seven years to get there...) using Ubuntu + KXStudio extensions + Reaper (native Linux version) + Helix Native (under WINE).

Was forced (briefly) to use Windows 10 today at the other guitarist's house in order to get some vocal sessions off his laptop. Dear god, it was a painful experience - it wouldn't recognise any of the four USB drives I had with me (despite all being FAT- or NTFS-formatted), and when I finally gave in and formatted one of them it decided it needed a reboot to do the job properly, but declined to give me an option to reboot without installing updates. That turned what should've been a two minute job of copying a few files into a 45 minute sit-and-stare operation.

Got home and decided to do some patch backups on my Helix - since it won't work with Linux and I have to have the Mac Mini for testing at work, I use that. Anyway...OS X decided there was a problem with its system drive and wouldn't boot. Reinstalled OS X with a new SSD (a ludicrously long process compared with Ubuntu's 5-10 minutes...) and now it won't recognise any USB peripherals other than the mouse and keyboard, and won't let me update the OS because the Apple ID I created when I installed the OS is apparently invalid, despite being able to log into the App Store and select everything I need to.

Meanwhile, all of my Ubuntu computers continue to do exactly what I ask of them, and only when I ask them to do it.

I think I need somebody to explain "It just works" to me, because I don't think it means what they think it does.

ThePriseInferno and Robstafarian like this.
  9. Robstafarian

I am starting to think that the people who say that are unable to recognize problems when they occur. Then again, someone survived the 1918 influenza outbreak.

10. ElectricSaga

ElectricSaga Bearded person

Well yeah, "it just works". You simply pay for broken updates, deal with license activation issues and questionable drivers from obscure websites. That's normal, right? Large corporations would never purposefully deceive their customers.

Robstafarian likes this.
  11. Magnus Pym

I got a Raspberry Pi for my birthday. One of the projects that caught my eye was to run doorbell. The doorbell fires off a sound file to a speaker and also sends an alert via Pushover to my phone. After a bit of fiddling about (soldering, updating Python script and finding things that have moved since the 'How To' was written). It's now set up and ready utilising some old PC speakers.

Last night as I was getting ready to go to bed I heard a sound. Was that the door bell? ... Yes. Yes it was. I know it was because I got an alert on my phone to tell me it was.

So satisfying.

12. Sustainerplayer

Sustainerplayer On the edge of breakup

YouTube Channel:
    Noncommittal
    But - you are leaving out the interesting part ... who came to your door late at night?

;) ... :heart: or :bat: or :alien: or :facepalm: ... ?

Robstafarian likes this.
  13. Magnus Pym

It was the Police. I thought my secret life as an international crime lord was at an end but no. The Police helicopter had been hanging around for a while, This is not that unusual because we live near a significant road interchange and they are often chasing joy riders etc. However on this occasion they were looking for some guy who was suspected to be in the area, not an escaped felon but as someone who had got themselves lost and was in danger. We hadn't seen him.

We were left wondering if it was because we had opened the back door a little while earlier which set off the security light. Had they seen the security light come on from high above and sent someone to check that it wasn't our guy stumbling about in the garden.

14. Magnus Pym

The Police helicopter was back yesterday. Looks like they haven't found him yet. The amount of time they are putting into this operation makes me suspicious that he is either a bank robber or a relative of an an MP.

Last edited: Aug 29, 2018
  15. ThePriseInferno

Can't believe I forgot to put this here.

I have a desktop that has an i5-4670, 32GB of DDR3 1666MHz RAM, an Asus GTX 1060 6GB, a 256GB SSD, and a 2TB data drive that was previously just running Windows 10 for gaming.

Decided to throw Ubuntu 18.04 onto a spare SSD that I had laying around and run that on my desktop as my primary OS.

I haven't looked back.

The only thing I need to get working is my Pod HD Pro X - the kernel recognizes the device, but Pulse doesn't add it as a sound card. Need to investigate exactly why that is.

Robstafarian likes this.
  16. digitalscream

I believe the HD Pro X works with ALSA quite happily. So, assuming you've got that far...

Head on over to kxstudio, install the repos, then install Cadence, JACK and all the stuff that comes with it (including the low-latency kernel). Also, critically, install pulseaudio-module-jack, then go into Cadence - set it to autostart JACK at login, then go to the JACK Bridges section and set the PulseAudio bridge to auto-start at login. Bingo, you've got JACK feeding Pulse, using your HD Pro X.

Robstafarian and ThePriseInferno like this.
  17. ThePriseInferno

Cheers, dude! Away from home today and I don't really wanna do this kind of stuff remotely, so I'll give this a try tonight or tomorrow.

Robstafarian likes this.
  18. Robstafarian

I use Ubuntu Studio with that stack.

ThePriseInferno likes this.
  19. ThePriseInferno

I've got Jack working, finally (after doing some reading and trying to wrap my head around the patch-bay-oriented theory), but still no love with my Pod HD Pro X - the kernel recognizes my device, but Jack doesn't recognize my USB device as an audio interface.

Robstafarian likes this.
  20. digitalscream

OK, that was the easy option. Unfortunately, it now comes down to how much effort you're willing to put in...

https://line6.com/support/topic/14935-line-6-pod-hd-pro-x-with-linux/

ThePriseInferno and Robstafarian like this.