Linux Users Thread

Discussion in 'Geeks Unite' started by ThePriseInferno, Jan 9, 2017.

1. ThePriseInferno

ThePriseInferno Well... does it?

I keep a clean system - Only the running kernel and the one immediately before it. In this case I had already removed the "immediately before" kernel version before trying to do this and I was still short by a couple of MB. feelsbadman.jpg

It's okay - I had to nuke my Windows partition to expand the boot partition (couldn't shrink root or home because they're on a logical partition... forgot about that), so now I just have to re-install Windows and then re-install grub to sda and I should be golden.

We'll see.

Man, you guys make me feel really young. My first exposure to Linux was Ubuntu 8.04, which was a cakewalk compared to what y'all had to go through in Ye Olden Days.

Also, finally had enough of KDE and switched back to awesomewm, porting my config to awesome 4.0 specs in the process. Still less painful than losing my task manager on the toolbar every time I went from single-head to multi-head on my laptop.

Robstafarian likes this.
  2. ThePriseInferno

Updated the display in my laptop to a full 1080p IPS panel.

THE COLORS. OH LAWD, THE COLORS.

Brightness control doesn't work in Windows because of Lenovo's stupid display whitelist, but the brightness control works fine in Linux because the Linux intel display module doesn't care about EDID whitelists.

Yet another point in the Linux camp!

Robstafarian likes this.
  3. Magnus Pym

Magnus Pym Grudges rot the soul

I'm considering getting an external monitor for my laptop (Lenovo T410) to get some more screen real estate. This sounds like it might be a good alternative was it difficult?

4. ThePriseInferno

Honestly, to me, an internal panel upgrade and an external monitor solve two totally different issues. I wanted better viewing angles and a better resolution and better color representation, and that's what I got. My screen real-estate hasn't changed too much, so if I wanted more real estate I'd still go with the external monitor for sure.

But to answer your question - figuring out compatible panels will be the most difficult part, otherwise (in theory) it's as simple as "unbolt the old monitor and bolt on the new monitor" (this is all I had to do). Realistically, there may be some cable swaps to be done, and I have no experience with the purchase or compatibility of such cables, so YMMV.

Let us know how it turns out if you try, though!

Robstafarian and Magnus Pym like this.