Linux Users Thread

Discussion in 'Geeks Unite' started by ThePriseInferno, Jan 9, 2017.

1. digitalscream

digitalscream Well-Known Member

You're half right; I was thinking of the Saffire 6 USB at the time :)

Not all of the Scarlett range work, apparently, but I know the smaller ones do.

Robstafarian likes this.
  2. ThePriseInferno

ThePriseInferno Well... does it?

Good news for me, since I'm currently using the Scarlett 2i4. :)

I'll have to test this once I get some free time (free time? what's that? ;) )

Robstafarian likes this.
  3. digitalscream

In related news, Wine 2.0 has been released - I'll be giving it a go when I rebuild my laptop in a couple of weeks in preparation for The Guitar Show at the end of Feb, and hopefully they've included the realtime scheduling patch.

They've apparently made a lot of changes to the graphics subsystem, which have been the main problems I've had with the fancier VSTs (I'm anticipating potential graphical issues with Helix Native).

ThePriseInferno and Robstafarian like this.
  4. ThePriseInferno

I have been trying for the past 3 or 4 days to get Office of any recent flavor (13, 16, x86, x64) to run under WINE 2.0, and it just doesn't want to work. This does not give me hope for any other programs I want to run (as mentioned above).

I'm about to cut my 100GB from my /home partition and just fucking install Windows. Annoying, but I'd rather have access to certain programs (more recent than seven goddamn years ago) when I need them without having to cobble together a solution.

5. digitalscream

What error are you actually getting?

6. Robstafarian

Robstafarian The Good and Wise Call Me “Rufustarian” Staff Member

If certain Windows programs are essential, then you should maintain a dual boot system—though I would not risk doing so with Windows 10.

7. ThePriseInferno

That's the interesting thing - it's WINE itself that crashes. I check the debug trace and it is completely unhelpful - it's missing a couple of libraries necessary. I could get them from a working Win10 system, but that defeats the purpose of running WINE.

Yeah... it's a bit of a badge of honor that I don't have Windows on the hard drive of this machine, though. :p

I got the programs that I needed to run (the Office suite, in particular this time) through a VM, and I'll likely be throwing it on as a dual-boot here soon since my mistrust of WINE has increased as a result of this. :p

8. Magnus Pym

Magnus Pym Grudges rot the soul

Pretty pleased with myself. Just rebuilt my my home office server with Ubuntu Server 13.10 - Server. The server edition has no GUI so it's much lighter weight but requires set up through command line only. It's just an old PC that I put a 1Tb hard drive in. I have it in a cupboard in the office at home. Samba makes it appears as a Windows server on the network and I use Karen's Replicator on my laptop to copy changed files) . Also CUPS now handles Airprint so I can link my iPhones etc to my old printer.

One day I will replace it with a Raspberry Pi and USB disc

Robstafarian and ThePriseInferno like this.
  9. digitalscream

@Magnus Pym - any particular reason you went for 13.10? It's not a Long Term Support release, and it's nowhere near the latest.

EDIT: The problem I have with the Raspberry Pi is that it doesn't have gigabit networking, so transfer rates are horribly slow. In fact, the new Pi Zero W has faster wireless than the wired connection on ever the Pi 3, which is ludicrous.

Robstafarian and ThePriseInferno like this.
  10. Magnus Pym

Sorry I mis-typed that, it's 16.10 which I think is the latest. I didn't go LTS because is 64bit only and my PC is an old Pentium III (which is plenty for this application). The 100M networking is fast enough at the moment

Recently I have gained a old laptop which I could have used instead. It's battery would give me a UPS and it is physically smaller with a built in screen, however I would need to get a suitable internal HDD or an external USB enclosure for the current one and I'm all about making do with what I've got.

Interesting about the Pi though. It will probably all have changed by the time I get around to it.

Robstafarian likes this.
  11. Robstafarian

That is incorrect: looking at the Alternative Downloads page reveals that there is a torrent for the 32-bit version of Ubuntu Server 16.04.2 LTS, thus manual URL manipulation can be used to create a working normal download link for the 32-bit version.

I just downloaded the image using that link, and I can confirm that it is a valid i386 install disk.

Magnus Pym likes this.
  12. Magnus Pym

Well it's all up and running now. I may look at LTS if I have any problems.

Robstafarian likes this.
  13. ThePriseInferno

Continuing to grow my Unix Beard - I now have mutt set up as my MUA of choice with offlineimap, gnupg, and notmuch handling the majority of the work.

lupinehorror and Robstafarian like this.
  14. ThePriseInferno

Oh dear... Stardew Valley is available for Steam on Linux.

I already don't sleep enough...

Robstafarian likes this.
  15. Robstafarian

:dance: