Linux Users Thread

Discussion in 'Geeks Unite' started by ThePriseInferno, Jan 9, 2017.

1. ThePriseInferno

ThePriseInferno Well... does it?

Hey guys!

Went back and saw that there were a couple of "switching to Linux" type posts scattered throughout this board, but didn't see anything for the people who have been using Linux in some form or another for a while.

Also not wanting to necro-bump threads that have been dead for 3+ years. Mods, please be gentle with the lashings if this is out of place.

Are you a Linux user? Do you have a distro of choice? Run it on desktops as a hobby or configure it for servers as your main source of income? Favorite open-source apps?

Discuss here. :)

As for me, I've been a Linux user for almost 10 years now, I first dipped my hand into the water by installing Ubuntu 8.04 on my laptop when I decided that Vista was The Devil(tm), and since then I've run the gamut from Ubuntu allllll the way up to Funtoo and Slackware. I liked Funtoo (and Gentoo), but having to let portage run overnight for package upgrades made the tradeoffs not worth it.

Was using Fedora 24 up until a few weeks ago when I switched back to Arch with Gnome3 on top. This system Just Works for me - I get the awesomeness of the Arch User Repositories and the wiki with the relative stability of Gnome3.
    I've been known to use the awesome tiling window manager in the past, but it got a bit unruly. I still have my config file so I couuuuuld run it again if I wanted to, but again with the Just Works thing.

Also Linuxing stuff at work - we're a mostly Ubuntu shop with some Centos boxes thrown in for fun. I'm also currently studying to get my RHCSA and then my RHCE, before potentially moving on to networking and security certifications.

How about you guys?

Robstafarian likes this.
  2. Robstafarian

Robstafarian The Good and Wise Call Me “Rufus”

Linux LinuxStudio 4.4.35-bfq #1 SMP PREEMPT Wed Dec 21 11:21:30 EST 2016 x86_64 x86_64 x86_64 GNU/Linux

I have used Linux for 14 years, taking into account one year without Linux due to a hard drive failure. I started with Mandrake Linux 8.1 in 2001, upgrading to Mandrake 8.2 before switching to Gentoo (from a stage1 tarball) in late 2002. I deeply enjoyed that trial by fire, and I used Gentoo exclusively until switching to Ubuntu 8.04: the tribulations which led to Funtoo's creation eventually led me to leave Gentoo behind. My last vanilla Ubuntu install was 10.04; I switched to Ubuntu Studio with 12.04, and I am running Ubuntu Studio 16.04 right now. The “-bfq” suffix on my kernel build reflects a stock Ubuntu Studio kernel with Budget Fair Queuing added.

I never got to work in a Linux shop before complications of my disability made it impossible for me to maintain employment. As such, I have always been a hobbyist. I credit Linux, and Unix-like OSes in general, for teaching me a new way to think. That method of thinking led, indirectly, to my ideas for my computer book (still to be overhauled) and my invention (which I will prototype soon). By the same token, I still tinker with Python 3 occasionally.

ThePriseInferno likes this.
  3. Mouse

Mouse Sometimes a man gets carried away

YouTube Channel:
    Nick8603
    I am getting interested in trying it out. I have limited experience with Ubuntu at work, using it as a simple desktop for browser and a little file management. Now I have recently gained interest in exploring code, programming and gain an understanding in security. I always need to be learning something new and have recently starting learning the absolute fundamentals of networking and programming in Python. There is no master plan yet. I have downloaded an installer for Fedora with GNOME3. After trying it from USB boot for a while I will probably install it on my laptop and choose to boot that or Windows (which I assume for the moment is possible). That way I can tinker and try stuff where and when I please.

The natural result of this, of course, is that I want a raspberry pi next.

Robstafarian likes this.
  4. Robstafarian

Laptops can be minefields, with regard to Linux compatibility, due to their tendency to use proprietary hardware and/or firmware (NVIDIA's Optimus being a prime example). Be very careful when running the installer, lest you accidentally destroy your Windows installation.

5. ThePriseInferno

I'm impressed that you're using Ubuntu Studio as a daily driver. I assume you do recording stuff with it as well?

I still have a Winblows partition on my hard drive for recording, mostly because the drum VSTi's that I prefer to use don't really function well under WINE. Or, at least, they didn't when last I tried to use them.

Toooootally possible - most modern Linux installers will install a thing called a bootloader, the most common of which will prompt you to choose between Windows and Linux at boot time.
    Though, as @Robstafarian mentioned, if you're not careful it's possible to mess something up and wreck your existing install. Tread with caution, but not fear.

And yes, do get a raspberry pi - they're so inexpensive these days that there's really no reason not to have at least one for the oddball project or for tinkering.

Robstafarian likes this.
  6. Robstafarian

I keep delaying my recording experiments, the latest reason being the revival of my invention.

7. Mouse

YouTube Channel:
    Nick8603
    Thanks. Yeah I read about the bootloaders. That's is why I assumed it would be possible. I will have to check what is compatible with my laptop and it's hard/software. I have a legal Windows 10 version on it with some other legally purchased Microsoft software that I am running out of activation amounts for!

The raspberry pi seems like such a good and fun solution. For starters, and probably the most boring but useful application, I would like to look into the Pi-Hole (or similar). It seems like an elegant solution with enough control for household use. Then I want to play around with all sorts of stuff! I might build a dedicated Linux pc out of spare parts sometime this year. My colleagues often have bits and bobs that I can buy or have, in the end it is not going to be a gaming pc or video editing machine so the specs don't matter too much.

Robstafarian likes this.
  8. Robstafarian

UEFI Secure Boot, with which I have zero experience, may be a factor.

Mouse likes this.
  9. ThePriseInferno

This is how most people I know (including myself) started learning seriously about Linux - take whatever computer you can find and install Linux on it, and then have fun.

It's been my experience that most hardships that Linux distros have problems with are graphics drivers, so as long as you get some parts that were largely made in the last 5-8 years or so you should be perfectly fine.

I keep forgetting that this is A Thing - my laptop is from 2012, before UEFI ever really became popular in laptops.

Mouse and Robstafarian like this.
  10. Mouse

YouTube Channel:
    Nick8603
    Good to know since that is the part I would most likely have skimped on considering my perceived application of the build. I'll definitely take this into account when accumulating parts and the inevitable troubleshooting.

My current laptop does use EUFI BIOS so I'll read up on it when the time comes. I have a Ubuntu USB dongle that I boot my work environment from, so that part works at least.

Robstafarian likes this.
  11. Magnus Pym

Magnus Pym Grudges rot the soul

I have used Linux on and off for years (mainly off as I work in a Windows only programming environment). I have Linux mint dual boot on my laptop to play with and have set up a Linux server on an old PC for back ups and print serving before. It 's currently got Debian on it but I'll update that soon.

Robstafarian likes this.
  12. Magnus Pym

I have used various Linux flavours for years on and off (mainly off as I work in a Windows only programming environment). I recently put Linux Mint on my laptop as a duel boot and was most impressed. I have used Linux on back up server/ print server installations for home use. It's currently Debian but this may change soon.

13. lupinehorror

lupinehorror smir

i run 6 servers all using linux spread around the world. two bare metal and 4 VPS (50% debian - 50% ubuntu LTS) ran it on the desktop for 12 years but last year went to the darkside...8GB mac mini...and it does the job. i do have a thinkpad that dual boots opensuse with windows 7. oh and 2 raspberry pis...running raspbian headerless. guess that'll be 9 then!

14. Magnus Pym

Ooh interesting. Can you get a Raspberry Pi to auto reboot after a power off?

15. lupinehorror

lupinehorror smir

you can do WOL it seems though technically that's not an automatic reboot. mine are never turned off.

16. Magnus Pym

Many years ago I had an old Compaq server that I thought would be good for home use. The fans and discs made is sound like Concorde taking off so it wasn't really suitable for home use. I usually just use an old PC with a big disc and Samba for back ups and stuff. Most PC's wont allow auto reboot and the previous incarnation wouldn't boot at all without a keyboard so I stripped an old keyboard down to make a dummy load. My latest (HP Evo) won't allow boot up without both keyboard and monitor attached. I am most annoyed.

Last edited: Jan 24, 2017
    Robstafarian likes this.
  17. digitalscream

digitalscream Well-Known Member

I've been using Linux as my main OS since the later days of XP. There was a weekend where I desperately needed to get some work done, but I'd forgotten to activate Windows. It just so happened that Microsoft's activation service was down (online and by phone), so I was facing the prospect of being without a computer for the whole weekend. I happened to have an OpenSUSE DVD kicking around from the front of a mag, so I installed that and haven't looked back since.

Well, kinda.

I used to use Windows for recording and gaming, now it's just used to run Elite: Dangerous. I run Reaper under WINE (and, sometimes, Harrison Mixbus natively - the annoyance is that it doesn't support VST via WINE when run natively), which handles all my plugins very nicely and it's quicker and more reliable than running under Windows on my hardware.

Aside from my main machine, I've got a couple of old laptops with broken screens (which I've removed) running Ubuntu Server headless - I just stuck SSDs in them and they serve as database servers for my day job. I've obviously got a Pi under the TV too, running OSMC.

I'm currently living for the day when Frontier give us a Linux port of Elite: Dangerous, so I can ditch Windows forever.

Robstafarian and Magnus Pym like this.
  18. ThePriseInferno

For real? I tried running Reaper in wine a few years ago and it was basically unusable. When I managed to get it stable, it wouldn't support most of the VSTs that I wanted (including any drum VSTis, they would just crash and run away with all of my available memory).

If it's truly this much better in this day and age then I might consider switching back. This of course assuming that I can get an interface that works on Linux :p

Also, for the record, I just got a Thinkpad T450s and (after replacing the touchpad) I'm running Arch with awesomewm on top. I'd forgotten how much I love tiling window managers*. Productivity Boost Get!

*Yes, I know that awesome has a floating windowing mode(which I use more often than not), and you can't really create static layouts, but honestly this does what I want so I'm not complaining too much.

Robstafarian likes this.
  19. digitalscream

digitalscream Well-Known Member

Yep, for real. I'll admit, I don't run that many VSTs - the only ones I've used lately are:

Amplitube 4
    Wall of Sound III
    BFD3 (drums :) )
    Molot compressor

I'll also be trying Helix Native as soon as is humanly possible.

In terms of USB (as opposed to Firewire, which is shit on Linux) interfaces that work, you can use pretty much any of the Saffire stuff, Presonus Audiobox/44VSL/1818VSL and my current personal favourite - the Komplete Audio 6. They all work out of the box, which is bloody lovely.

ThePriseInferno likes this.
  20. Robstafarian

Saffire is Focusrite's Firewire interface line; I think you meant Scarlett. The problem with Focusrite's Scarlett interfaces, as I understand it, is that the Generation 2 devices are not compatible with Linux.