Les Paul alternatives - UK-made if possible

Soap Distant

The Big Kahuna (again!)
I was all set to buy a 2019 LP Standard Goldtop until Gibson pulled that shit with the USA-only competition...they're talking a good game at the moment, but if they don't give a shit about worldwide customers, they can shove them up their arse and stop exporting guitars.

Anyway...I'm looking for something Les Paulish between 1,500 and 3,000 - at the moment, all I can think of are Gordon Smith custom and Patrick Eggle.

Any suggestions? (and if anyone suggests a British made Chapman, I'll hunt you down and beat you to death with the family pet).

Tankman

Subtly not giving a F*ck
From what I know, Eggle is one of the best.

But if you were considering a USA Gibson, why are you now looking for UK made? What's wrong with other top brands that are USA, or Japanese for example.

mirage2101

I'm going to second PRS. I was impressed by their guitars. Only the huge discoutn of the gibson made me go for it.
If you're in that pricerange.. Have you considered going to a luthier?
I'm going to visit one tomorrow to talk about the guitar to rule them all (For me at least)

Tankman

Subtly not giving a F*ck
I'm going to second PRS. I was impressed by their guitars. Only the huge discoutn of the gibson made me go for it.
If you're in that pricerange.. Have you considered going to a luthier?
I'm going to visit one tomorrow to talk about the guitar to rule them all (For me at least)
Honestly, I do think the PRS Single Cut is the nicest single cut model there is.

Soap Distant

The Big Kahuna (again!)
I have to say, I really hate PRS. I have a 1992 Patrick Eggle Berlin Pro, which back when I bought it (1993), was considered to be the "English PRS".

In those days, PRS really were objects of desire, but the sheer ubiquitousness of them nowadays really puts me off. I'm leaning towards an Eggle Macon Single Cut, but I wanted to see what was out there that I'd missed.

I must say, though, I have a fetish for symmetrical double cutaways with pointy horns (hmm...I wonder if I could get a second hand Yamaha SG 1500?), so this looks particularly sweet:

z9m6zhey1ezt47djdol9.jpg

I had a GS1 many years ago, and it was lovely, if a bit thin. I kept bending out out of tune.

everfreetree

I... I like trees.
While I've not played one, maybe the full on ESP EII's? The LTD's of all grades are seriously impressive guitars.
I can definitely say the E-IIs have some fantastic quality and great feel. They're some of the best guitars I've played in their category.
With the budget he mentioned, he could go as far as an ESP USA model, though that would be pushing the top end ($3799, and it can be customized a bit, on their website).

Soap Distant

The Big Kahuna (again!)
Cheers everyone, it appears that world-class luthiery is alive and well in the UK. My interest in home-grown guitars isn't in any way prompted by patriotism (which I possess not one ounce of), but more to do with quality and value for money.

Tankman

Subtly not giving a F*ck
In those days, PRS really were objects of desire, but the sheer ubiquitousness of them nowadays really puts me off.
Well then...F*ck Fender, Gibson, Ibanez, ESP, Martin, Taylor, Chapman, Jackson, EVH, Charvel, Gretsch and Schecter too!

:p

Sorry, I don't quite understand why that would put you off from getting a great guitar.

Lonestar

SC Relics Guitars
Cheers everyone, it appears that world-class luthiery is alive and well in the UK. My interest in home-grown guitars isn't in any way prompted by patriotism (which I possess not one ounce of), but more to do with quality and value for money.
Very much so. There’s a lot of talent here and tbh if i was after a LP I’d be contacting one of the above. If you need anymore info on these chaps let me know.

Soap Distant

The Big Kahuna (again!)
I realise this is a bit of a dickhead about-face, but I've been doing some research.

As I posted on Instagram earlier, I'm notorious amongst people who know me (and who play guitar, obviously) for having something of a fetish for (as I mentioned earlier in this post) pointy symmetrical double cutaways, and in particular the Yamaha SG range (I don't like the "Les Paul Killer" moniker which is usually attached to these, they're just an alternative to the LP for those with a preference for double cuts).

If I'm patient, I can pick up a nice late 70's/early 80's SG2000 for less than 2k, or a similar age SG1500 (which I prefer to the 2000) AND a Goldtop SG1802 (the one with Duncan P90s) for less than 2k for the pair.