Knopfler LP Tone?

imstump94

Does anyone have any tips on how Knopfler gets that "hollow" (for lack of a better term) sound on his Les Paul? Yeah, I know, "fingers", but that's not all of it. I'm not referring to Money for Nothing. More like Song for Sonny Liston or the more recent live versions of Brothers in Arms. I've tried messing with EQ, but I mostly end up muddy. Thanks.

Chu

I know you said 'not money for nothing' but it turns out that tone did not come from a cocked wah. After going home from the studio, some of the amp mics got moved accidentally and that was the result the next day.

Sustainerplayer

On the edge of breakup
Ahh ... I missed the "not" ... don't mind me ... I'm a damn foreigner :D

And yeah ... the mics and all ... but I you want to do it live ... like mister Knopfler ... go cock that wah.

Carry on. :cloud9:

Felix

Addicted to Grunge
I would bet his '59 Burst misdirects a lot of people with him. With their mythical status, mixed with Knopfler's odd style of using his thumb and fingers.

Playing an electric using you thumb and fingers, just seems really off putting for me. I mean the thumb must take a fucking hell of a lot abuse from the wound strings?

Wade Garrett

I am the projectionist.
I would bet his '59 Burst misdirects a lot of people with him. With their mythical status, mixed with Knopfler's odd style of using his thumb and fingers.

Playing an electric using you thumb and fingers, just seems really off putting for me. I mean the thumb must take a fucking hell of a lot abuse from the wound strings?
You'd probably build up callouses pretty quickly. Jarred James Nichols uses his fingers and thumb too and sound pretty cool. I have to admit it's not something that I want to learn to do either.

Magnus Pym

Grudges rot the soul
I play (guitar) with my fingers quite a lot because I'm lazy and often can't be bothered to find a plectrum. I mean not like Knopfler but finger style, finger strumming, finger and thumb. It's an alternative that's all and I'm not very good. I don't have huge callouses. I wonder if it comes from playing the bass when I was younger. It does mean I need to get back to practising with a plectrum more though.

Last edited:
It surprised me to see another Mark, Tremonti, playing with thumb and fingers at least sometimes, for example the main riff in Blackbird which he plays with his thumb and forefinger. I tend to play it (badly) using hybrid picking instead, and using more than one finger on the higher strings...but then, he's about a million times better at the guitar than I am! :)