JVM410H + G-System vs Kemper??

Hi Guys,

Don't want to start a philosophical discussion here regarding if which one sounds better or if you can tell the difference, just would like to hear your thoughts on what you'd do on my situation:

I currently have a JVM410H + 1936 Cab + G-System (just bought and can return). I am bedroom / studio player and have no intention to play live. I bought the JVM due to being a long dream of owning a top marshall half stack and on an excellent deal, they are as new. I guess any kid who grew up in the 80s and 90s had a dream of owning one and just by looking at it you kind of play better (you know what I mean).

Now, all of this takes space and cables and to play silent - Which I do 75% of the time - I need to plug this into my computer interface and use JVM emulated out (was considering buying the torpedo studio for this). Considering the latest Kemper reviews and feedback, am considering selling all of this and just get a tiny Kemper.

What do you guys think? Would you get rid of all this and get a Kemper? Or would you keep the JVM + G System? Shit I'm really undecided here, but am on the verge of returning the G system, sell everything and get the simple Kemper.

Thoughts?
Thanks!

Wuzza

long time lurker
I guess you have the 30 day online return option?

Play with the JVM for a week, return, buy the kemper, play for a week. If you like it, keep it, if not send it back and get the JVM/G system again. :p

The Kemper does sound a bit more up your alley though.

(if you REALLY need a proper Marshall maybe keep an eye out for a 2nd hand JVM-1, which also has emulated out)

Well the only thing I can return is the G system which I just got today. The JVM and cab I'll have to sell but I'll only do that if I am 100% sure I want to switch to the Kemper route as it will be very very difficult to find another one at this price.

As for the G System, I'll check over the weekend how happy I am with it and the JVM as I have heard some difficulties making them like each other. Effects wise will the Kemper be good enough?

I don't see a way out of this dilemma without owning both at the same time... Any one else went through this 1st world problem?

Thanks

Wuzza

long time lurker
I was going to point you in the direct of a really good JVM resource, but I see you have already posted there. ;)
It will probably take a day or so for a response, but it's a goldmine for JVM info.

Rurin

I have a Kemper non powered and 1 Yamaha HS8 its the most tiny ridicule set. Tiny but powerful, i still haven't taken the volume past half way! Sounds good even at half volume, headphones out if need total silent. I have to say, i have progressed in playing because off kemper response to input, some profiles really make you wanna play better.

The free profiles are very good, also kemper has a good amount off effects build in, so if you get bored off one profile you can just adjust a more clean profile to you're taste.

Kemper is basically an amp + full pedal board. Noise gate,delay,reverb,chorus,solo boost... i just started checking them.

Sustainerplayer

On the edge of breakup
I would go with the Kemper. That's a fantastic box.

Real tube amps are awesome to play - but IMO - you only get that feeling at high volumes. And frankly - most people seldom play them loud enough.

And even in band situations a Kemper is much easier to control and get good sound for the audience with.

I've gone with an Axe Fx. But I tried the Kemper and it sounds just as amazing.

Last edited:

Lone Star

I bought the JVM due to being a long dream of owning a top marshall half stack
Well. You own your "dream amp" and you're wondering if the grass is greener on the other side. And it's just a size issue?

If you own your dream rig, why are you thinking of selling up for a box of micro chips? I own my dream amp, it takes up space, never gets cranked, gets played twice a week, should have cost over £2200 and I love it. Sounds absolutely unbelievable.

So no, I wouldn't go for a Kemper. That's my opinion though. And other regulars can testify to how hard it was to get to my amp of choice but I did it and I've never looked back.

Keep it, love it, enjoy it.

Yeah, at this
Well. You own your "dream amp" and you're wondering if the grass is greener on the other side. And it's just a size issue?

If you own your dream rig, why are you thinking of selling up for a box of micro chips? I own my dream amp, it takes up space, never gets cranked, gets played twice a week, should have cost over £2200 and I love it. Sounds absolutely unbelievable.

So no, I wouldn't go for a Kemper. That's my opinion though. And other regulars can testify to how hard it was to get to my amp of choice but I did it and I've never looked back.

Keep it, love it, enjoy it.
Yeah men, I mean, I think I will probably keep it. Just thinking of it I am regretting it already. It took me years and hard to be able to get a decent job and afford this. It is more than a dream it is a mark and an accomplishment. I may even get the Kemper in a few months as one got to keep up with times and evolution. You only live once and unless one is struggling money wise and not giving up on other fundamental things in life, why the hell not keep it.

I am now struggling to get the G-System to work properly with JVM as they tend not to get along but some guys have made it work properly so I will have to do it as well. Unless something is seriously wrong with either piece of the equipment, this must work!

But keep posting your experiences, it is good to hear and share. Thanks!

Chu

In an ideal world, keep the JVM, buy a Kemper and profile the JVM before deciding which to keep.

The effects on the Kemper are excellent. The overdrives are good but not in the boutique league.

My Kemper has turned out to be my dream amp. I used to have a 100w Marshall 30th Anniversary 6100. Lovely beast it was and I always regretted selling it. More recently I bought my Kemper and I no longer have any desire towards other amps whatsoever. Nor effects.

That said, you might not like one!

Lone Star

Yeah, at this

Yeah men, I mean, I think I will probably keep it. Just thinking of it I am regretting it already. It took me years and hard to be able to get a decent job and afford this. It is more than a dream it is a mark and an accomplishment. I may even get the Kemper in a few months as one got to keep up with times and evolution. You only live once and unless one is struggling money wise and not giving up on other fundamental things in life, why the hell not keep it.

I am now struggling to get the G-System to work properly with JVM as they tend not to get along but some guys have made it work properly so I will have to do it as well. Unless something is seriously wrong with either piece of the equipment, this must work!

But keep posting your experiences, it is good to hear and share. Thanks!
FUCKING hell mate... a JVM was a goal and mark of achievement that took you years to work for and now you'll be able to buy a Kemper just like that *clicks fingers* in a few months? Did you get a pay rise since buying the JVM or did you get it a while ago?

Well I have decided to keep the JVM. Managed to put the G System working perfectly with it as well with the 4cm. I will probably buy the Kemper soon as I'd like to try other tones and don't have the space to own shit loads of amps and cabs. And as I said before, this was a dream that took more than 15 years to accomplish so I cannot let it go! Just by looking at it I feel good :)

Also, after digging yesterday, I found out I have one of the earliest models, built in the end of 2006. It is in impeccable condition, I got it 2nd hand and from what I know it as never been gigged, serviced, revalved, etc. so I may call marshall just to see if it is worth doing a check up. I love the tone but sometimes it feels that it lacks a bit of something. I probably do it after new year. 10 years seems a long time for a valve amp without being serviced but as it as not been massively used maybe it is OK.

FUCKING hell mate... a JVM was a goal and mark of achievement that took you years to work for and now you'll be able to buy a Kemper just like that *clicks fingers* in a few months? Did you get a pay rise since buying the JVM or did you get it a while ago?
I studied hard, worked hard, to be able to have a nice job which allows me to have these luxuries. Not saying that others don't work hard as well, I just had a bit of luck to find where to focus my energy and have a very good return from it.

For years I had nothing but a valvestate and an Ibanez with a cracked neck and that was it - still have them. I respect a lot people that work hard and are not able to get these things in life. I used to hate (and still do) people that smash gear at concerts. It is not cool, it is totally disrespectful to fans, which the majority cannot afford such gear, such as me and others at the time.

This just to say that I don't want to sound like a guy who has enough money to throw at things just because he feels like it. In fact my original post was partially driven by the fact that I don't want to spend money on this without a very valid reason. But I think I found it now. I'll keep what represents my dream and achievements in life and will probably get a kemper to evolve and try new tones in the future.

Robstafarian

The Good and Wise Call Me “Rufus”
Indeed. My experience with valve amps is that many will go on and on with zero maintenance. Others may need some help after a short while. I really don't think they're like cars in the way that they should be serviced even when they are working 100% correctly.
One must bear in mind that cars are operated on public roads, with all of the potentialities that infers in the context of momentum.

I own a 2 channel JVM (215c) and I feel like the sky is the limit - this amp is super versatile.
Sounds awesome at home/studio levels too. Tried it with an extension cab (2*12) and the outcome was overwhelming.
Stick to the rig you like the most and experience with it for a period - that's my advice here.
Exchanging gear often can be really confusing.

Last edited: